Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

I would have thought that a limited edition tied in with the A1 Steam Trust's project (when it goes ahead) could be any in livery at all, with the BR ones quite likely.

I suspect that the 2007 project, although at best years away from anything resembling a loco, was one of the factors in deciding upon a P2. They could have a limited edition model in half a dozen livery variations (I wonder how they would have looked in garter Blue...) out rather quickly as and when demand may support it.

I for one will be getting one. It doesnt fit with my chosen era, or prototype choice. But wht the hell, I like it :D 

Guest Belgian

I would imagine, with a certain amount of cunning design, that the P2 could be modelled in all its variations, simply by having a separate moulding for the smokebox and a chassis which can have the front end beyond the second driven axle a separate part so that the Thompson rebuilds as A2/1s could be modelled. Does anyone else think this would be feasible? (Also, does anyone else think the A2/1s also had a certain amount of charm, somewhat absent in the subsequent Thompson Pacifics which had those hideous large deflectors?)

JE

I would imagine, with a certain amount of cunning design, that the P2 could be modelled in all its variations, simply by having a separate moulding for the smokebox and a chassis which can have the front end beyond the second driven axle a separate part so that the Thompson rebuilds as A2/1s could be modelled. Does anyone else think this would be feasible? (Also, does anyone else think the A2/1s also had a certain amount of charm, somewhat absent in the subsequent Thompson Pacifics which had those hideous large deflectors?)

JE

I dont think so. The tooling would never be able to take the 'Bugatti' front end without a pretty obvious seem being there. Also, the chassis wouldnt be of much use because of the necessity to retool a new set of valve gear for 2002-2006 (2001 & 2007 had/will have poppet cam, 2002-2006 had walscherts) and an A2/2 Pacific would need an entirely new tooling altogether, very few parts survived on the real engines, and there are almost no common components when tallking about a model. Edited by Edge

2007 is going to have caprotti rather than poppet. Although maybe the tooling for the DoG valve gear will fit?

The tooling won't fit (believe me). I tried to get the DoG version under a P2 (in a drawing), and it wouldn't work. However, after chatting to a member of the A1SLT, the setup will be very similar to DoG's arrangement, but taking into account issues such as clearance under the running plate, and the differences in coupled wheel spacing.

So all Hornby has to do now is lower the height by .2 of a mm, fit an A4 cab, fit Caprotti gear and use Tornado's tender and they have an (almost) instant #2007! (and that's the short list of mods).

So all Hornby has to do now is lower the height by .2 of a mm, fit an A4 cab, fit Caprotti gear and use Tornado's tender and they have an (almost) instant #2007! (and that's the short list of mods).

Tornado's tender (body at least) will be incorrect as it is unique to the new build Tornado. Turning that on its head however is that if thy tool up for 2007 with the correct tender, then suddenly the Tornado tooling has a suitable tender to allow better representation of a cross section of the production A1s.

Tornado's tender (body at least) will be incorrect as it is unique to the new build Tornado. Turning that on its head however is that if thy tool up for 2007 with the correct tender, then suddenly the Tornado tooling has a suitable tender to allow better representation of a cross section of the production A1s.

A1Steam have announced their intention to use an identical tender to the one on Tornado with 2007.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

2007 is going to have caprotti rather than poppet. Although maybe the tooling for the DoG valve gear will fit?

Isn't Caprotti a poppet valve gear, along with Lentz & Reidinger?

AFAIK the original 2001 had Lentz gear

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Tornados tender (as with the loco itself) was designed to take account of main line running on todays railway. Thus it features a larger water tank as well as having spaces for all the modern stuff (low level fillers, data loggers, GSM-R, etc) designed in. This is infinitely preferable to having to modify an original design and is the reason the group will be using a duplicate of Tornados tender for the new build.

So from Hornby's point of view, they already have some of the model ready to go.

Edited by phil-b259

A1Steam have announced their intention to use an identical tender to the one on Tornado with 2007.

I seem to remember them stating that they wanted as much interchangable parts as possible for quick overhauls, tooling costs etc.

Edited by Coldgunner

They do plan to use the modified Thompson/Peppercorn 5000gal design, as opposed to the 1930 Gresley high sided, non-corridor design. This means that they don't have to get certification for a different design, and can just build the tender without too much worry.

I welcome the arrival of the P2, but like others wish they were doing a Bugatti version, not least so that  I can do a carve up to reflect the 'what-if' of a Peppercorn rebuild into a non-streamlined version.

this piece of photoshop trickery by Matthew Cousins caught my eye and I'm itching to get out the scalpels... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/42496-green-giant-an-alternative-p2/

All I need is the chassis...

Please, Simon? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A part of me would be tempted to buy a Railroad version, paint it Garter Blue, apply LNER Stainless Steel 501 numbers (Cock O' The North's Thompson number) and letters. Not authentic to a P2 but was for Post War A4's and it might look good on a P2

The main reason for this though is because as someone with no modelling experience it seems like an easier option to paint it Garter Blue as its a fairly basic liviery with little lining and using the Stainless Steel lettering would probably be easier than me trying to use Gold Leaf transfers. Although painting the wheels red would be a bit tricky.

Edited by Dan Hill

• 2 months later...

Got an email from Hattons yesterday and its saying that P2 is now expected to arrive with them on or after 14th October 2013 which is good because my last email from them at the start of March was saying December.

Edited by Dan Hill

• 2 months later...

The latest Hornby newsletter contains the following:

Visit the Perth & District Model Railway Club Exhibition on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th June for an early look at our brand new LNER 2-8-2 Class P2 locomotive.
The Class was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley, to handle heavy express passenger work over the unforgiving lines between Edinburgh and Aberdeen.  The first of the class of six, 'Cock o' the North' was introduced to traffic in 1934.
Hornby will be producing two versions of this locomotive -
R3207 LNER 2-8-2 P2 Class - Special Edition
R3171 LNER 2-8-2 P2 Class - Railroad Version

Click-here-for-more-information1.jpg