Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

I thought so to, but not according to Doughnut.

Cleared up to my satisfaction now, yes blubottle. Seemed to have rattled your cage for some reason though, Mr.McLeod?? Not allowed to make a reasonable comment or ask about something I wasn't aware of, anymore, without having pseudo-sarcasm heaped upon me?? Dear oh dear!

I had honestly decided not to buy one, even though I've moved my modelling period back to 1938, I couldn't have 2001 in this condition.

After seeing the photos above.... I might have to buy one!

is the handrails on the cab and tender molded or separately applied ... 

If you can't tell the difference from that enormous photo, does it matter?! But reports elsewhere suggest the handrails are separately applied.

Utterly irrelevant to me as a model but, I have to say, I really do want one.

Paul

I had the chance, courtesy of Simon Kohler and Mike Wild, to take a couple of snaps of the first fully complete, decorated and running sample of the full version of the P2 this weekend. Although I am not an LNER modeller she does look very nice.

attachicon.gif2001.jpg

attachicon.gif2001_1.jpg

Lovely model. Glad I ordered one now and as the A1 Trust are due to release more details about the P2 at the Covenators Convention this weekend maybe Hornby can start preparing a 2007 model for 2014/2015 if it has a name ready.

• RMweb Premium

Are the cranks to the valve gear correctly fitted?

I have noticed some pictures seem to show an offset as if Walschaerts gear should have been fitted!

(Dificult to tell on those pics above)

I assume they should be straight as with a speedometer drive.

Lovely looking model however. :yes:

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Shade is reasonable IMHO . Darlington version is not like the shade on the P2 that is more yellow. e.g Bachmann have used that "Darligton" shade on their LNER versions of the A2. Hornby always seem to use a narrow Black band on the boiler when it should be wider than the White. Same problem on the A1/A3's. The Railroad version will be white bands judging from previous issues e.g LNER A1 .

This is painted in Precision Paints version of Doncaster Green for comparison

post-7186-0-22523200-1379359647.jpg

Lastly as usual the P2 is a mock up and not the finished product !!!!!!!!! froth away :O

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3

Two points on colour.....White lining when grossly overscale looks vulgar and toylike. Going off the other greens in the above image, the loco green looks 'Darlington' rather than the more yellowy Doncaster green.

The green does look a tad on the cold side to me but the buffer beam also looks a bit off.

I think it is a case of wait and see.

General shape does look pretty good going by the photos.

To me the driving wheels as a set look out of proportion to the whole loco on the real thing and the model captures this look to perfection.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Please can we inject some common sense into the question of colour, my pictures were taken under just and only the layouts own lighting which were fluorescent tubes and they were not daylight rated.

Also the pictures were taken on an iPhone and my guess is that they are being viewed on an uncalibrated monitor, so therefore there are too many variables to make any subjective judgement about the green on the basis of my pictures alone.

• Like 2