Re-using a Bachmann 21-pin decoder ex-Blue Pullman - is it possible?

Mel_H

Hi

Today I've successfully  fitted two Howes sound decoders (one in each power car) to a OO Bachmann Blue Pullman. They work well and the fitting was easy (it's the first time I've done this too).

Therefore, I've now got a pair of 21-pin loco  decoders spare. It occurred to me that I could just fit them into any 21-pin loco - but this doesn't work.

I tried fitted both decoders into a Bachmann D11, but one is uncontrollable - the wheels just rotate at high speed. The other one just provides 'sticky' jerky movement.

Obviously they were programmed for the Blue Pullman. Is there any way I can re-use them? If so, what am I doing wrong. And, what's the fix.

I am new to DCC as you can tell, so please be gentle!

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Mel

What decoder is it? Bachmann have relatively recently introduced a four function 21 pin decoder, item 36-557, and my guess would be that this is associated with the Bogcart Pullman, which needs the extra functions for all its lights?

The 21 pin decoder introduced to their range some years ago, item 36-554, is not ideal for small motored steam models, needs very careful adjustment of the BEMF values to get a decently smooth result. Copes very well as supplied with the good size motor and flywheel combination typical of centre motored diesel chassis though. It may be the 36-557 decoder performs likewise - or not! 

Hi Britannia

Thanks for the advice. It runs fine on DC. In the end, I tried plugging in my new NCE Powercab - and it works beautifully! I had been using a Hornby Select which I have on my workbench coupled to a rolling road. When I tried again with the Select it still didn't work properly and the chip also made a nasty buzzing sound. I guess it must be a Select issue then?

Regards

Mel Holley

What decoder is it? Bachmann have relatively recently introduced a four function 21 pin decoder, item 36-557, and my guess would be that this is associated with the Bogcart Pullman, which needs the extra functions for all its lights?

The 21 pin decoder introduced to their range some years ago, item 36-554, is not ideal for small motored steam models, needs very careful adjustment of the BEMF values to get a decently smooth result. Copes very well as supplied with the good size motor and flywheel combination typical of centre motored diesel chassis though. It may be the 36-557 decoder performs likewise - or not! 

I'm not sure what decoder it is. The paperwork doesn't say, although the Decoder itself is marked SoundTraxx MC1H10421P 0512 Rev A

I'm not sure what decoder it is. The paperwork doesn't say, although the Decoder itself is marked SoundTraxx MC1H10421P 0512 Rev A

That decoder is most likely what they are selling separately as 36-557......

Bachmann have put two downloadable manuals on their DCC support pages for this new SoundTraxx made 36-557 -  a Users Guide and a Technical reference.

Both these documents state it's from the MC2 series of decoders, which would make it a MC2H104***. with a suffix denoting the connector type (21-pin in this case).

Curiously that seems to be at odds with the model number that Mel_H has provided above, as a MC1H104*** would make it a MC1 series decoder.

A much better specified decoder than the 36-554. On the advertised capability in the manual it should make a decent  job of operating a steam model realistically; especially the choice of speed curves and good range available in CV's 3 and 4. (Pleased with the 36-558 in the class 03 shunter, the only experience I have had of a decoder from this maker; but I have that set up for an 'unrefined' performance appropriate to our clunky little friend so haven't really tested its capability.)

• RMweb Gold

After fitting the Howes sound decoders in my Blue Pullman both the "Sound Traxx" decoders were recycled - one going into the Bachmanm SECR "C" Class steamie and the other going into the Bachmann Network Rail Cl.57 diesel without making any adjustments to the decoders

So far both locos work fine - maybe I'll give them some more intensive testing to see if any problems develop.....

Keith 

If only I had seen this guide before the other day!  I was thinking about replacing these with SIlvers but as it looks like we can remap the cab lights hey ho the Silvers will come in for other purchases later on.

Plan of action is as follows

For one power car remap the cab light to say F3 and for the other cab light to F4.  Makes is sensible as you can then turn on just the cab light in the end needed.

If only I had seen this guide before the other day!  I was thinking about replacing these with SIlvers but as it looks like we can remap the cab lights hey ho the Silvers will come in for other purchases later on.

Plan of action is as follows

For one power car remap the cab light to say F3 and for the other cab light to F4.  Makes is sensible as you can then turn on just the cab light in the end needed.

Really interested to know how you get on with this. Might be worth posting your results on the original Blue Pullman thread. Ta

• RMweb Gold

Interested to know whether it's a series 1 (MC1) or series 2 (MC2). 

Edit: Looks like the one with the Blue Pullman is MC1 and is Bachmann's 36-558 - see description here - http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/36-558Users_Guide.pdf

The 36-557 is the MC2 series and is available separately - Hatton's have it, for example.

The MC1 appears to be a lower spec - you can't set CV5 or CV6, for example.

Interested to know whether it's a series 1 (MC1) or series 2 (MC2). 

Edit: Looks like the one with the Blue Pullman is MC1 and is Bachmann's 36-558 - see description here - http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/36-558Users_Guide.pdf

The 36-557 is the MC2 series and is available separately - Hatton's have it, for example.

The MC1 appears to be a lower spec - you can't set CV5 or CV6, for example.

Soundtraxx MC1 is the small 6-pin

MC2 is larger 21-pin etc

Both have fully configurable speed curves:which is better than setting mid speed or max speed.

• RMweb Gold

MC2 is larger 21-pin etc

Both have fully configurable speed curves:which is better than setting mid speed or max speed.

The decoder in the Blue Pullman appears to be the 21-pin version of the MC1.  Olivia's Trains are also selling this on Ebay -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-21pin-4-Function-Decoder-FREE-Postage-/121037868411?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4368661584909479432%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D121037868411%26

MC2 is larger 21-pin etc

Sorry, that's not quite correct.

There are different varieties of both the MC1 and MC2.

The MC1 is available in 2 sizes; a smaller version for N (and some Z gauge) and a larger H0 size version.

The MC1Z is the smaller size and the MC1H is the larger size (I'm guessing H is for H0). 

There are 3 versions of the MC1 currently listed on the SoundTraxx website...

1. MC1Z102P6 is the current 6-pin decoder - (MC1 - Z size - 1.0 amp? - 2 function - Pins = 6 )

2. MC1Z102SQ is the same decoder but with a wire harness instead of the 6-pin connector (the SQ suffix apparently means Squid cable i.e.  harness)

3. MC1H102P8 is the larger 8-pin Direct version of the MC1 - (MC1 - H0 size - 1.0 amp - 2 function - Pins = 8 )

It appears from the link that RFS provided, that it's a 21-pin, 4-function version of this decoder, made for Bachmann.

The model number being given is MC1H10421P  - (MC1 - H0 size - 1.0 amp - 4 function - 21-pins - although I'm not sure why it isn't written as P21?).

However, on the Bachmann website, the documentation provided for the 36-557 decoder is that for the MC2 decoder series ?????

See here.

The question is, has there been a mistake somewhere, or are there two new Bachmann decoders involved here, the 36-557 and the bespoke model provided in the Blue Pullman ?

The BP has been re-programmed and works fine.

CV36 - if you want could be set to 0 from what Bachmann have it (Removes cab lights from F2)

CV37 set to 4 for front half of train.  F3 front cab light

CV38 set to 4 for rear half of train. F4 rear cab light.

Thus my new controls are

F0 directional & interia lights

F1 table lights

F3 front cab light

F4 rear cab light

CV57 might be worth looking at as it could be feasible to set up the cab light to be directional then both could be on say F3.

I have the same problem since F2 is not latching on my Digitrax.

Checked out the interweb and a suggestion on another site ( for the Prodigy) was as above, but use CV 38 and CV40 to set each to button F4 and F6.

Haven't had a chance to reprogram yet, but I'm guessing a bit of suck it and see may be appropriate.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry, that's not quite correct.

There are different varieties of both the MC1 and MC2.

The MC1 is available in 2 sizes; a smaller version for N (and some Z gauge) and a larger H0 size version.

The MC1Z is the smaller size and the MC1H is the larger size (I'm guessing H is for H0). 

There are 3 versions of the MC1 currently listed on the SoundTraxx website...

1. MC1Z102P6 is the current 6-pin decoder - (MC1 - Z size - 1.0 amp? - 2 function - Pins = 6 )

2. MC1Z102SQ is the same decoder but with a wire harness instead of the 6-pin connector (the SQ suffix apparently means Squid cable i.e.  harness)

3. MC1H102P8 is the larger 8-pin Direct version of the MC1 - (MC1 - H0 size - 1.0 amp - 2 function - Pins = 8 )

It appears from the link that RFS provided, that it's a 21-pin, 4-function version of this decoder, made for Bachmann.

The model number being given is MC1H10421P  - (MC1 - H0 size - 1.0 amp - 4 function - 21-pins - although I'm not sure why it isn't written as P21?).

However, on the Bachmann website, the documentation provided for the 36-557 decoder is that for the MC2 decoder series ?????

See here.

The question is, has there been a mistake somewhere, or are there two new Bachmann decoders involved here, the 36-557 and the bespoke model provided in the Blue Pullman ?

Well I bought one of these 36-557 decoders on the basis that it's the MC2: it isn't, it is really an MC1.  The documention on the web-site says it's an MC2 and the sheet with the decoder says that the version number in CV 7 is 96, which means an MC2.  But my decoder has a version number of 81 which is that for the MC1. So Bachmann's rebadged decoder has the wrong badge!  I've complained to them and will be returning the decoder for a refund.

Beware!

Well I bought one of these 36-557 decoders on the basis that it's the MC2: it isn't, it is really an MC1.  ........So Bachmann's rebadged decoder has the wrong badge !  

Very confusing indeed.

The decoder is clearly a bespoke version made for them and not a regular model from the SoundTraxx line-up, but which model is it based on, the MC1 or MC2 ?

Is this a c**k-up by Bachmann, or has there been a mix up between Bachmann and SoundTraxx ?

Hi

Bachmann website for Customer Support/DCC Support/DCC User Guides http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/service/dug.php has the links for the 36-557 Soundtraxx 21 pin decoder removed today..

They have apparently been linking the 36-557 to the Soundtraxx MC2 documentation, but it is in fact a MC1 as there is no CV5 support on the MC1 which is also fitted into the Midland Pullman set.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Bachmann website for Customer Support/DCC Support/DCC User Guides http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/service/dug.php has the links for the 36-557 Soundtraxx 21 pin decoder removed today..

They have apparently been linking the 36-557 to the Soundtraxx MC2 documentation, but it is in fact a MC1 as there is no CV5 support on the MC1 which is also fitted into the Midland Pullman set.

That's probably as a result of me rattling their cage today!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68254-Bachmann-36-557-21-pin-decoder/

Archived