Jacks Workbench - A Return to Service

Jack P

Hi there!

My names' Jack, and i've been bitten by the bug! With some sound advice from Jazz (ken) I decided to tackle my first kit, a Parkside Dundas cattle wagon! So, here's some pictures of how it went down

403376_5000369449779_228039993_n.jpg

384981_5000370889815_1690809707_n.jpg182318_10200100852426843_1625565517_n.jp

32344_10200100852506845_2000132714_n.jpg401690_10200100854826903_45851807_n.jpg425648_10200100885387667_1952378670_n.jp

45348_10200100855426918_185304212_n.jpg

305454_10200152043666592_1478658715_n.jp12067_10200152043146579_407396302_n.jpg532591_10200161546584159_1066091234_n.jp281625_10200161549664236_187645238_n.jpg548767_10200161552944318_2094334235_n.jp282942_10200161549624235_193026228_n.jpg525130_10200161551464281_269732087_n.jpg12245_10200161552624310_1039136607_n.jpg

Well hopefully the picture's aren't too boring and don't show up the flaws too much! :D There will definitely be more to come!

Merry Christmas!

JP

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Jack. I see you fitted the buffers to the ends before assemble. I do that and also chemically blacken the couplings and add them at that stage. You may like to try that.

Don

Merry Christmas Jack,

That wagon has turned out really well and I'm sure you agree that they are easier to build in the larger scale, and usually a lot more detail also. I would also chemically blacken the buffer heads, couplings and wheels using Birchwood Casey gun blue.

Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Jack,

Nice modelling for your first effort.  Did you have any difficulties and did you spray paint the body or brush?

I too have mad a foray into O gauge and have a box of peco track, one RH point and 2 Dapol wagons.  Will look to buy a Cattle wagon and 2 box vans, after the Dapol 08 and terrier arrive.  Also wouldn't  mind an 060 tender engine, an ex LNER J15 would be the thing.  Then build a 12'x2' layout.

Looks good and good inspiration, must buy one now, well in the new year anyway.

Mark in OZ 

Hugely impressed by the fact that you carefuly lay all the components out before starting Jack. I suspect, unlike me, you probably read the instructions before diving in too? That's probably why the result is one very nicely built and beautifully finished wagon...

...perhaps I should give the organised approach a go as an alternative to trying to work on nine things at once? Took me quarter of an hour to separate brake van parts from turnout components yesterday ;-)

Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing more :-)

David

PS: Added several hours after the above... I just (duh) 'got' your introductory sentence! Nice wry sense of humour too :-)

Jack,

One of the things you might like to change is what Paul mentioned earlier and that is most ( if not all ) cattle wagons had screw link couplings fitted to give the livestock a smoother ride, I have built a few GWR cattle wagons and they all had them fitted.

CPL do the ones for your wagon but I do not think she has a website, if not Slaters have them but are more expensive ( well over here they are, not sure in your part of the world ).

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Jack

That's a lovely model that you have built there and some nice photo's during construction, welcome to the senior scale. I note from your pictures the A4 in OO, being a Gresley man myself it's nice to see although I suspect your more a BR man rather than LNER like myself. either way the loco's still remained great machines... :)

Pete

Nice work Jack. I see you fitted the buffers to the ends before assemble. I do that and also chemically blacken the couplings and add them at that stage. You may like to try that.

Don

Thank you Don, I have not yet used any blackening fluids, I will make sure to order some next time i'm getting stuff sent over!

Very nice modelling Jack.

Thank you BT4! :)

Merry Christmas Jack,

That wagon has turned out really well and I'm sure you agree that they are easier to build in the larger scale, and usually a lot more detail also. I would also chemically blacken the buffer heads, couplings and wheels using Birchwood Casey gun blue.

Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

ATB,

Martyn.

And a happy new year! I agree Martyn, definitely easier to build in large scale, along with a world of extra detail - which was one of my main reasons for moving up, and i'm glad I did! Hopefully i'll be able to cover the next few builds as they happen!

Hi Jack,

Nice modelling for your first effort.  Did you have any difficulties and did you spray paint the body or brush?

I too have mad a foray into O gauge and have a box of peco track, one RH point and 2 Dapol wagons.  Will look to buy a Cattle wagon and 2 box vans, after the Dapol 08 and terrier arrive.  Also wouldn't  mind an 060 tender engine, an ex LNER J15 would be the thing.  Then build a 12'x2' layout.

Looks good and good inspiration, must buy one now, well in the new year anyway.

Mark in OZ 

Hi Mark, Thank you! As for difficulties, Yes, this was not a stress free build, and as my first O gauge kit I learnt as I went. The thing I had dreaded from the start was getting the bodysides square and the solebars attached to the floor, they both ended up being easier than I had anticpated, with locating holes for the solebars and an extremely good fit of the body right out of the box, The worst thing ended up being the brake blocks, and trying to get them to fit around the wheels properly. I think I enjoyed the complex brake rigging the most. As for painting, all brush painted, but should have an airbrush and compressor arriving in the new year, So i'll see how that goes. Still not sure about the colour, I use my own mix of colour, which is Tamiya Nato brown and matt black. Plans for more are always good, the 08 and Terrier look like a sure-fire way to bring O gauge to the masses.

Lovely model Jack, especially for a first attempt. Keep it up!

I built one of these a couple of years ago, and despite being an 'O' gauge modeller of 20+ years standing, found the brake gear very fiddly.  Am I getting too old now....?

Interestingly, I fit the buffers and couplings after assembly and spray painting; personal choice I guess.  I replaced the 3 link couplings with Tower screw ones (no commercial connection with them, except as a satisfied customer).  Used Birchwood Casey Gunmetal on them and the buffers as suggested above.  Mine is finished in the 1948 'Ashford' photo series style; SR brown, but BR(S) lettering.  I humbly offer it as a comparison to your excellent model.

Thank you! Well it's my first, so the rest can only get better, right? I see what you mean about the brake rigging, I really enjoyed it though, It's those lovely little details that are much harder to produce on smaller models. I really must order some screw-links, I might get a few, and save on postage. I had a look through your flickr album, and your locos look fantastic! Really inspired me to do a 0298 BWT, One of my favorite little engines! I must ask, what track do you use, hand-built? It looks very nice.

Jack

I think you've made a fine job of it.

Thank you! I really hadn't expected this kind of response! :)

Jack, very impressive for your first go. Where are you plans to go next?

T.

Plans from here? Well keep at it with the plastic parkside kits, Make some of each, some other region wagons too, then have a crack at an etched brass wagon kit, then a loco, then more locos and so on. As for a layout, well..... lets just say it won't be small, if it ever happens! :D

Excellent start in the Senior Scale, Jack.  I wish I had been as proficient in my early years!

David

aka DLOS

Thank you David! I am glad to be starting in this day and age, it really helps being online too, being able to see other peoples work and ask real people who are in the know, for help, it's fantastic!

Hugely impressed by the fact that you carefuly lay all the components out before starting Jack. I suspect, unlike me, you probably read the instructions before diving in too? That's probably why the result is one very nicely built and beautifully finished wagon...

...perhaps I should give the organised approach a go as an alternative to trying to work on nine things at once? Took me quarter of an hour to separate brake van parts from turnout components yesterday ;-)

Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing more :-)

David

PS: Added several hours after the above... I just (duh) 'got' your introductory sentence! Nice wry sense of humour too :-)

The organized approach is all but a facade, after a few minutes of cutting and gluing the bench seems to take on a chaotic state. I do like to use, however, little plastic containers for the smaller parts, this saves me having piles, and means that I can just put everything back into that small container and put all the big sprues on-top and I know where everything is! More is on the way over from Fife in Scotland as we speak! Ahh yes, the humour..... something I seemed to have picked up from, err, you lot :D

Jack,

One of the things you might like to change is what Paul mentioned earlier and that is most ( if not all ) cattle wagons had screw link couplings fitted to give the livestock a smoother ride, I have built a few GWR cattle wagons and they all had them fitted.

CPL do the ones for your wagon but I do not think she has a website, if not Slaters have them but are more expensive ( well over here they are, not sure in your part of the world ).

ATB,

Martyn.

I will be changing them out ASAP, was just keen to get it all done!

Hi Jack,

Welcome to 0 Gauge Jack. Your cattle wagon looks great, looking forward to more.

Alan.

Thank you very much Alan! :)

CPL has no website, but advertises in Model Railway Journal.  Address is 4 The Glade, Newbury, Berks, RG14 7AT United Kingdom.  t. +44(0)1635 44001

May have to send them a letter then!

Hi Jack,

I can only echo others in applauding your first effort, nicely done and something to feel proud of.

Thank you! Although, as only one who has actually built the item, I can spot everything wrong with it! Mainly though, are the whitemetal Vacuum pipes, will definitely be using different ones in future

I find Premier screw couplings quite good. see www.premiercomponents.co.uk

Don

Another website to add to my bookmarks, than you Don!

Hi Jack

That's a lovely model that you have built there and some nice photo's during construction, welcome to the senior scale. I note from your pictures the A4 in OO, being a Gresley man myself it's nice to see although I suspect your more a BR man rather than LNER like myself. either way the loco's still remained great machines... :)

Pete

Ahh, my cunning front has worked! no, not really, I am a southern man, even by heritage, Father was born and raised in Woking, even though i've never been there, I have a british passport! Anyway, I diverge, The A4, which has definitely become a favorite engine of mine, is not mine, it's a friends, He sent it to me to do some weathering to. I am modelling right up to December 31 1947, on the southern. I am partial to the occasional apple green visitor though!

Sorry I have not replied until now, and have nothing to show for my absence, 2013 will bring with it, more kits, more updates and more posts! I am overwhelmed with the responses I have gotten on just one wagon! I am really looking forward to working up to an engine kit now!

And to everyone who's read and commented, Hopefully you all had a very merry Christmas and wishing you all a happy and safe new year! Roll on 2013!!

JP :)

It is a lovely model, it is nice to see you started with the right company. I have the same problems as you for getting things except the NZ postal system is a bit quicker than the Brazilian one. You might find the blackening fluid at your local gun shop, They generally have blue but most have black, it is used a lot in the upkeep of the things.

It is nice to see Southern being modelled in the southern hemisphere, least I know I am not the only one, even if we are still half a world away from each other.

I look forward to seeing more of your ventures in O gauge.

Happy New Year

• 2 weeks later...

It is a lovely model, it is nice to see you started with the right company. I have the same problems as you for getting things except the NZ postal system is a bit quicker than the Brazilian one. You might find the blackening fluid at your local gun shop, They generally have blue but most have black, it is used a lot in the upkeep of the things.

It is nice to see Southern being modelled in the southern hemisphere, least I know I am not the only one, even if we are still half a world away from each other.

I look forward to seeing more of your ventures in O gauge.

Happy New Year

Hopefully everyone has had a good start to the year so far!

N15 - I still haven't managed to get any blackening fluid, or screw links, but next time i order something! As for the kits I didn't want to start off the block with an etched kit, seeing as I am about as proficient with a soldering iron as a baboon with a champagne flute, so parkside seemed to be the best option, and i've been enjoying them! As you can see here!

537961_10200282442886491_247855708_n.jpg

It's just an iPhone picture, but soon enough i'll have the proper camera back and I can take some proper pictures, but i've Just finished an 8 plank 12 ton wagon, which has compensated axles this time. This time the wagon has been airbrushed, and came with pressfix transfers, which I must say I now prefer less to waterslide ones! Hopefully this one looks okay aswell, very simple and thusly, should be hard to mess up!

Will post more pictures as soon as possible, and will be able to show you my next build, as it happens!

JP

As for the kits I didn't want to start off the block with an etched kit, seeing as I am about as proficient with a soldering iron as a baboon with a champagne flute

Those are very nice Sir, well done.

My favourite protestation of this type so far belongs to a gentleman who claimed that he wasn't very handy - in fact it was fair to say that his hands were only there to keep the blood in his arms.

It's not that difficult though, I'm on my 4th kit and I would rather solder than glue any day and I never thought I would be saying that. If there was one piece of experience that I could pass on it's that at the beginning, I was highly dubious that I would be able to produce a neat enough job and would be wasting my money. Now I realise that in a well designed kit, 95% of the soldering takes place on the inside of the model and you can make all the mess you want because no-one will ever see it.

Go on, have a go

Chris.

Those are very nice Sir, well done.

My favourite protestation of this type so far belongs to a gentleman who claimed that he wasn't very handy - in fact it was fair to say that his hands were only there to keep the blood in his arms.

It's not that difficult though, I'm on my 4th kit and I would rather solder than glue any day and I never thought I would be saying that. If there was one piece of experience that I could pass on it's that at the beginning, I was highly dubious that I would be able to produce a neat enough job and would be wasting my money. Now I realise that in a well designed kit, 95% of the soldering takes place on the inside of the model and you can make all the mess you want because no-one will ever see it.

Go on, have a go

Chris.

Keeping the blood in my arms is another function! I will be starting an etched kit soon, I just wanted to get my eye in with actually building kits to start with.

I've started another plastic kit in the mean-time, this one looks as if it might be a bit more complex...

72799_10200293440921435_454915946_n.jpg

I've started on one of the sides, the ducket was an absolute pig to put together, hopefully the next one won't be as hard, as you can see from these photos, I used a fair bit of putty to make it fit flush

226694_10200293433601252_1667890340_n.jp

19023_10200293492402722_1716118354_n.jpg

I've also decided I want the doors to be functional, so i made some hinges out of thin plasticard, only problem i'm faced with, as you will be able to see is the minimal clearances at the edge of the verandah, because it is hinged on the inside part of the outside edge, so i'll see what i can get to fit, does anyone have any other hinging ideas?

74299_10200293431921210_1756166419_n.jpg

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jack,

An excellent start in the senior scale, well done that man!

Now, if only I had jumped in so enthusiastically, I might have stayed loyal to the cause.

Good on yer!

John E.

Ahh yes! Glad i'm only 19....

309723_10200369016290772_1878808143_n.jp

Now you may remember that I said the duckets were absolute pigs to do?.....

.....As were the sandboxes

65230_10200368973929713_1252359840_n.jpg

And this is the leap forward, the body assembled, and placed on the floor

67433_10200368962889437_735871691_n.jpg

And here's the basic chassis assembled, solebars, bufferbeams, and the floor in place.

23333_10200368962009415_1702961014_n.jpg

As usual, hope you are enjoying, Will get on with it, as I have 2 weeks off work, so might actually get it finished....?

JPi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jack

Some great work here. I really liked the cattle wagon but that SR brake van is coming on a treat.

Stephen

Thank you Stephen! The Brakevan is working it's way to completion!

I wish I had of found O gauge when I was 19.

Gives me a fair bit of time to learn from my mistakes!

Had the proper camera back today, Not sure what i've been oh so busy with because not much more has been done, no new kits ordered yet. But here are some quick snaps of the 8 plank wagon

644381_10200599072762040_1270623744_n.jp559768_10200599071162000_1021120109_n.jp

69597_10200599072442032_1474824087_n.jpg45848_10200599073562060_430814285_n.jpg551492_10200599073802066_1681932810_n.jp

I tried to give it some dirty rust around the lower chassis, not sure how well it turned out though, weathered the body by hand, gonna have to learn the tricks of the trade when it comes to airbrush weathering. Obviously you can't see underneath, but if one was to turn it upside down they could, and thusly so...

19705_10200599073002046_566519541_n.jpg

As for the brake-van, I need to go and get some paint for it, however, before I do so, I want to detail the interior, problem is, I can't find any interior shots, or any sort of birds eye layout of what was inside, I've already made the assumption the brake handle would be above the Brake thingy on the floor, if anyone has any ideas, or even better, has been in one and taken photographs, some help would be appreciated!

426074_10200599074082073_774145917_n.jpg

I found that hinging the door was rather hard due to the space constraints and in reality, it would require modifications that could really come out wrong and damage the body, so I glued the door open, I'm not sure why.. just adds a little bit of interest.

Again, thanks for reading,

ATB

JP

Archived