Starting in brass

Mr Brunel

Hello,

I've been looking for a brass wagon kit so I can practice soldering and other techniques - but which one? Searching here and other sites turned up a few recommendations:

1. Dragon Models

2. Bill Bedford GWR ballast wagon

3. Lochgorm Models beginner's van

Can anybody recommend one of these as a starter kit? Thanks in advance

I'm currently building 3 of the Lochgorm vans (see my sig) but wouldn't necessarily recommend them for beginners. I hadn't done anything with a soldering iron (or bending bars or a rivet punch) before I bought these but, like you was attracted to the 'beginner' tag. The kit itself isn't too bad (there are no castings, simply a flat etch) but there are some very tricky folds and an unrolled roof. Plus, in the case of the LNER variant, a fairly rare prototype - I still can't find any pictures of a 'Cov B'! The instructions are a little loose too, certainly not beginner status.

I'm not knocking the kit, I'm actually starting to really like it, and for diving in at the deep end there's not a lot to match it, but beginner it isn't.

Connoisseur have an unmatched reputation but if you're after something cheaper (like I was) you could try M&M Models or Haywood kits - both would test your skills with an iron (I have these kits but not started them yet).

Good luck and I hope to see pics of the build. Merry Christmas!

Steve

Hi Mr B.

When I started making brass kits, I bought the Mainly Trains replacement under frame for the ratio 4 wheel GWR coaches and made this. Added to the sides and roof from a U4 Dean Composite kit, it did me a little version of Didcot's No. 290 as a departmental vehicle. A really easy kit to build and it just falls together, the white metal bits can be glued on if you don't feel confident about soldering it on (although with good low melt solder, a temperature controlled iron and some flux there is NOTHING to be frightened of!) And it makes up into a really nice vehicle in the end. Not too expensive if it all goes wrong either as it is just a chassis and if it does go wrong, just build the ratio kit as is and you still have a model at the end of it all.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Mr B.

When I started making brass kits, I bought the Mainly Trains replacement under frame for the ratio 4 wheel GWR coaches and made this. Added to the sides and roof from a U4 Dean Composite kit, it did me a little version of Didcot's No. 290 as a departmental vehicle. A really easy kit to build and it just falls together, the white metal bits can be glued on if you don't feel confident about soldering it on (although with good low melt solder, a temperature controlled iron and some flux there is NOTHING to be frightened of!) And it makes up into a really nice vehicle in the end. Not too expensive if it all goes wrong either as it is just a chassis and if it does go wrong, just build the ratio kit as is and you still have a model at the end of it all.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Try a Judith Edge kit. OK they are diesels but will designed, a very reasonable price and easy to build. Coaches or wagons are often trickier to build than simple lo. Happy Xmas all

Nick

Hi Nick,

I haven't tried the Edge Kits although I hear VERY good things about them. I have done the coach chassis though and a few other brass kits besides and the Mainly Trains effort is a very well designed (Iain Rice I think) kit. The only reason I would suggest it over any locomotive is that firstly, a loco kit is by its very nature tends to be a good deal more complex than just a piece of 4 wheel rolling stock. This will rely on not only getting wheels to roll but also mechanisms to run smoothly and if a newbie is exploring new skills in brass kit construction, the added requirements to get a loco together and moving under its own power is a whole other set of skills. Build confidence by building simple first and then take the step up to doing mechanisms after that. Secondly, it is a good deal more expensive than just a chassis and that added pressure of the money expended can be a little off putting for a beginner. You need something that is simple to build, cheap and with a high possibillity of success but nothing too much lost if it all goes wrong.

In the end though, it's up to Mr B. and what he feels is right for him. As has been extolled many, many times - this is a broad church and there are always going to be dozens of suggestions about how to go about any one task. Whatever Mr B. decides to do, if he takes his time and plans carefully, he will have success. I hope to see his successes posted here on RMWEB!

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

I've been looking for a brass wagon kit so I can practice soldering and other techniques - but which one? Searching here and other sites turned up a few recommendations:

1. Dragon Models

2. Bill Bedford GWR ballast wagon

3. Lochgorm Models beginner's van

There is a thread detailing a group build of the ballast wagon in another place. Be warned, it runs to 50 pages.

Thanks everybody who's replied so far; apologies for not being more specific. I model in 00, mainly GWR but I dabble in Midland as well. Probably my first choice will be the Bedford ballast wagon, so later in the week I'll see about getting a hold of all the supplies (and the actual kit) - once I make a start I'll post here :)

In terms of quality of design and fit, the 4mm Judith Edge kits are outstanding. However they are also quite detailed and you might want to work up to one via other things. There are from time to time brass wagon kits on Ebay from the likes of Falcon and Jidenco, which even if you mess up a bit would give you practice at a reasonable price.

A Happy Christmas to all!

John Tomlinson, with pics at   http://www.flickr.com/photos/51265696@N03  

...Probably my first choice will be the Bedford ballast wagon...

A good choice, fairly straightforward to build though with some finer detail that may be challenging. Just remember to put the brakes on the right way round :scratchhead: Here's one I prepared earlier, though as yet unlettered.

Nick

post-6746-0-54591000-1356442227.jpg

I have built both Dragon kits and the Bill Bedford ballast wagon.  I should say they were the first brass kits I tried.

They both went together well, with good instructions.

Don't be put off the Bill Bedford kit because of the suspension, it all goes together beautifully, and works.

The advantage of brass kits is that you normally get a chance to correct mistakes, or redo things that you want to improve.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

I haven't tried the Edge Kits although I hear VERY good things about them. I have done the coach chassis though and a few other brass kits besides and the Mainly Trains effort is a very well designed (Iain Rice I think) kit. The only reason I would suggest it over any locomotive is that firstly, a loco kit is by its very nature tends to be a good deal more complex than just a piece of 4 wheel rolling stock. This will rely on not only getting wheels to roll but also mechanisms to run smoothly and if a newbie is exploring new skills in brass kit construction, the added requirements to get a loco together and moving under its own power is a whole other set of skills. Build confidence by building simple first and then take the step up to doing mechanisms after that. Secondly, it is a good deal more expensive than just a chassis and that added pressure of the money expended can be a little off putting for a beginner. You need something that is simple to build, cheap and with a high possibillity of success but nothing too much lost if it all goes wrong.

In the end though, it's up to Mr B. and what he feels is right for him. As has been extolled many, many times - this is a broad church and there are always going to be dozens of suggestions about how to go about any one task. Whatever Mr B. decides to do, if he takes his time and plans carefully, he will have success. I hope to see his successes posted here on RMWEB!

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

You can get a number of JE kits which run on a rtr chassis.

Trust me building some brass wagon kits will put you off having a go at building brass kits for ever!  

and remember to get the internal rivet detail correct

I took part in the aforementioned group build - making a pair of ballast wagons AND a conflat L.  I'm fairly experienced with soldering and found the kits - solebar details especially - a challenge.  There was some to and fro and good advice in the link above, but you need considerable intestinal fortitude to wade through all those pages.  Overall, I was very pleased with my efforts despite several errors, and I think I got the brakes on the right way round.  Excellent kits Bill!  I detailed my build at the blog link below.

John

Archived