If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

Martin,

As you are aware I take the opposite view and could expect me to read and interpret that quote from the software provider in quite a different way.

But with:

But nowhere on the site at present is there a clear statement of how it should be used, so each member is making it up as he goes along. There's no harm in that as a means of finding out what members actually want. :)

I agree it would be nice to come back in say a year to see how it has developed.

The only downside, is that only the read count is going to show if the blogs remain popular - the stats on use by members to post relevant material will be elusive and I also wonder if the stats were just as useless as the old site's thread read count (ie it bears no resemblance to whether the thread itself is interesting, relevant or actually read in detail.)

Perhaps that is the whole idea of the rating system?

Whilst I'm still getting used to the 'New Version' the improvements and potential are clear to see, and after all it is the quality of the contributions that make this site the valuable tool that it is.

I do however want to take the opportunity in this my first post on the new site to say a huge thankyou to Andy and his team for all the hard work and devotion that they put in behind the scenes, which allows us to just crack on and enjoy it.............I salute you!

Regards..................Andy.

• RMweb Gold
I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that the blog comments are in the database as simply edits to the original entry. That's why they are given the dismissive name "comments", rather than independent "replies" in their own right. Getting notifications of a new comment may not be straightforward.

I now know that this wrong, so I apologise for spreading alarm and despondency on this matter. :)

There is plenty of information in the database which would allow a "New Comments" page to be created for the blogs.

regards,

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post since re-registering. I thought I'd just add my tuppence worth about the new forum. I am typical of the user that looks at RMWeb most days, but rarely posts. You might think my opinion is therefore irrelevent, as I don't contribute much; I hope this isn't the case.

The new software and look is very impressive, but I think just one tweak would make it perfect. The single biggest gripe I have, is when clicking on a forum heading such as PRODUCTS, it now gives you the list of sub forums like Hornby, Bachmann and the like. This is excellent to hone in a specific product, but I love being able to just click PRODUCTS and see threads from all sub-forums in date posted order - basically like the old forum. Why, because you tend to browse other threads across the spectrum of products, increasing your knowledge.

The new main page layout doesn't have to change. All that would change, would clicking on PRODUCTS would take you to the individual threads as described, instead of the individual subforums. These individual sub forums should be accessed as they currently are.

Whether it technically possible or easy, i would never know, but I think it would single handedly enhance the experience greatly. It would bring a piece of familiarity back, pleasing those that 'fear change', but retain all the functionality.

Also I used the PRODUCTS forum as an example, with a view to the above being implemented to all the main headings.

I know Andy has put a vast amount of work into turning it into what it is now, and on the whole it is excellent. I hope I haven't been too negative, it's only an opinion.

Regards no space even less money

Archived