If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

Andy,

Vote registered and as you say I will keep specific questions to the various topics that have been started, however, I would just like to take a moment to say a huge thanks and well done on the choice of layout and format to the forum.

After 3 days, 3 blog entries & several gallery openings in the photo section i can honestly say it is a joy to use and view. I cant see it taking anyone from the masses, when they arrive, anymore than a few days to settle in and find their way around the new layout.

The 'Whats on your mind' idea, although needing to be heavily moderated, I suspect, is a superb ice breaker and i hope it stays as a feature.

Blogs rather than layout threads will no doubt cause a 'storm in a tea cup' but for me, i find flipping the way it is read on its head and seeing the latest from someones layout or workbench on the blog as opposed to scrolling through a long winded page of text to get to the latest news on a layout thread is far more pleasing. Individual comments in connection to that particular entry on the blog has got to be better than before.

Would love to be constructive and bring up some valid points to change or be negative about but there just isnt anything at the minute so i will just rave on about how good i think it is. When it opens and the non believers show up, send them my way as i have been drawn in and converted within days ! Keep up the good work and thanks again for providing us with a super place to be.

• RMweb Gold

I also like the new format, Andy, and again, many thanks for the hard work in keeping this going and developing it.

I haven't had too much time as yet to get to know the new format, and there are still a few things that I don't quite 'get', but as a curmudgeonly old technophobe, that's only to be expected! I'll cry for help if I really get stuck (and thanks for sorting my blog out the other day!).

You will know when you've undergone the complete transformation when you go back to the old forum and think 7.gif

After a few hours of exploring my cheeks hurt from the grin I've had solidly plastered across my face. B)

I'm at Kernow's stage- knowing just enough to be dangerous. I'm still trying to find my way back to the blog I contributed to earlier... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the format is close enough to RMweb3 that it shouldn't be that difficult to get up to speed. The new features make the transition well worth the temporary vertigo.

I do have to say that getting the new software up to speed must have taken a lot of work from Team RMweb. Without getting all syrupy and overly gratuitous, a big THANK YOU from these parts is in order.

Now we just need a "Thumbs Up" Emoticon to properly express ourselves.

Must agree also. There is a very modern feel to the site, yet still retains that something familiar with the old versions. Having a favourites list instead of just a bookmarked list is also a good step in the right direction. I too have had a similar grin while looking around. Best get on with some modelling to add new content.

Kind regards

• RMweb Gold

Having had a chance now to have a good nose round and have a bit of a play with the newbie I have to say I am impressed. Obviously I'm not fully up to speed with everything but it is definitely intuitive to use, looks more attractive and is a testimonial to the huge amount of hard work that's been put into it. I did wonder if, as one who voted for no change, this new look would be one step too far for me - but it's not, I really like it and would simply like to say thank you to Andy (and the team) for putting so much work into it's creation. It was certainly worth it.

(Now can I have some buttons please.....)

• RMweb Premium

You will know when you've undergone the complete transformation when you go back to the old forum and think 7.gif

That's me transformed then!

New forum gets my vote too Andy - well done chap (plus support). Prepare though for the masses wanting their multiple layout and workbench threads back initially. Also thanks for letting me have a play in the advance party. I was starting to transfer blocks of stuff across but the new way this works and looks has stopped me in my tracks - instead I'm going to be very selective of what comes over and try to make the use of the new features. I particularly like the galleries and blogs.

Couldn't initially get the ABC spell checker icon to work though - got an error message. Found that by doing a google search that i needed the following add-on for it to work iespell add-on download. All fine now!

• RMweb Gold

I think the poll results say it all, unless you selected the advance party on the basis of being the least luddite amongst the masses :rolleyes:

Yup, I think I'll have to do a bit of housekeeping, especially where there was a temporary issue which has now been resolved as it's likely to confuse folk.

Anyway, when we let the masses in we'll have to hide in the cupboard and watch as they bimble around utterly confused. ;)

My initial reactions is that I feel at home already - but then having being somewhat busy over the last week Ive not really had too much time to test drive - but using that analogy I have the distinct feeling Ive got into something with a little more style and elan.

Be interesting to see what happens with a full complement of winkers, sorry members on board because at the moment things seem very civilised!

• RMweb Premium

Yup, I think I'll have to do a bit of housekeeping, especially where there was a temporary issue which has now been resolved as it's likely to confuse folk.

Anyway, when we let the masses in we'll have to hide in the cupboard and watch as they bimble around utterly confused. ;)

Andy, Not sure how many you've let loose but if my initial few days 'bimbling' around is anything to go by then there's going to be a new European Bimble mountain being created. Mind you, once you get into the mind set that this is a different way of doing things and isn't the old site rebadged then you start to see lots of possibilities. Have fun in Manchester!

PS like the word 'Bimble' :lol:

I'm certainly feeling more comfortable in here now, and to be honest I've virtually stopped posting in the old forum - instead looking at restarting topics in here or moving stuff over where appropriate.

Not usually a me-tooer but this new version seems to offer a lot more scope than previous ones. I am stumbling my way around with a steep learning curve ahead of me, but no doubt all will become clear in time. I take it by this reply that I've made it across OK.

Richard

I also had to re-register, not bothered like laugh.gif

I like the new site, havnt had a good look round yet, but sure looks fine.

It kinda reminds me of a certain social networking site with the status updates etc tongue.gif

Ste

Another one having to re-register - hey ho - not bothering me shall just have to get back into post ###### mode to pump up the post count :D

Having given it a look over at Manchester I have to say it didn't look as bad as I feared though the jury is still out AFAIC on the bloggy bits.

BIG steep learning curve ahead over the next week or two while I find my way around ... bit of a Jungle ATM :(

Seem to have found 2 bugs already but will post them elsewhere (after I have found where) and checked that they are not already on the TODO list.

Having given it a look over at Manchester I have to say it didn't look as bad as I feared though the jury is still out AFAIC on the bloggy bits.

I have to say the bloggy bits were the most confusing for me, at first. It does take a little time to figure out the blog structure. Once you do, it'll seem like a better way to work through your projects. If you have an ongoing project, use Martin's excellent utility here to transfer over the earlier old RMweb parts. That way the whole project will be in one blog and as you continue with the project you'll have new blog additons.

I've been roaring through my D6123 project, makes me look like a really fast worker! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Given that I am exploring this whilst cooking dinner, the basics seem fairly simple. I need have a bit more of a play with the blog structure but being able to mark up favorites is really useful.

Any way, of to turn the tatties before I come back for another 15 min stint

I've just started exploring within the last hour and am already getting used to it. I like what I see! biggrin.gif

I like the structure of forum areas, like the products split into manufacturer groups etc. Everything seems very clean and well organised. I think it will take a while to get used to all of the new and added features but it all seems quite intuitive so far. Never having got into blogs before I think that will be a learning curve (but one I had to take at some point!)

Well done and thank you for all the hard work behind the scenes putting it all together and to all those who've been involved in 'testing'.

PS - should have added that I had to re-register but it was a painless process and extremely quick!

Archived