If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

Is there a way to do global announcements to users on this forum software, or introductory PMs for those registering a-new?

I tried to keep people up to speed with what the changes would mean before we moved here, I still get emails saying they can't login, why?

I've tried to give key, basic information pinned to the top of the Help Forum - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/312-answers-to-the-most-commonly-asked-questions/ - over 600 people have re-registered and many more existing users have logged in yet only 285 people to date have viewed that topic.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the majority don't read it (a male thing as oldudders says ;)), Martin Wynne has given some excellent answers to folk but some just don't seem to read.

Sadly there's only so much we can do, there's been an immense amount of support offsite too - I'm certainly trying to do everything that I can and will try to help everyone where possible but some of the comments and attitude has genuinely got me down, very down.

I think it's early days for all of us. I think the blog thing appeals to those of us confident we have a story to tell, and for whom the input of others beyond the welcome thumbs-ups is limited. Threads in the main section can and do still have the capacity to replicate the old forum format, I believe, with constructive criticism and discussion in the public view. Galleries are there for those with collections to publish - often for the general good. Complicated? Yes, perhaps, but versatile would be a better description. I find I can still look at all the latest postings, cherry-picking subjects that sound interesting, just as I used to do. Blogs need a bit more looking into, but their authors have decided to take that route, rather than just starting another thread. Give it all time to settle - everyone else is learning, just as we are.

Thanks. I think your wise words are at the heart of it.

I can see that the blogging format is ideal for the competent story teller. However much of the old forum content was about exchanging information including methods, ideas, plans and news. Maybe it??™s all still here but it doesn??™t feel like I can get at it.

The problem is when ever people are taken out of their comfort zone, barriers go up and "I don't like it" starts to get mentioned. Its a natural phase that you go through no matter what the situation. Given time I'm sure most users will realise that its not that bad (in fact better) and will carry on as normal. Forgetting all about the old RMweb.

There will always be those that resist change and choose not to continue with the new look, but I'm sure there will be plenty of new recruits too.

Andy, I'm sorry you feel down after certain comments, but as you said you have had imense support off line and on, so that is what you should focus on. RMweb is a fantastic tool for us modellers and we do appreciate your efforts. You cant please everyone.

Keep smiling, you and the team are doing a grand job! biggrin.gif

Cheers

Scott

PS I'm over the don't like it stage, im now in the discovery stage.

there's been an immense amount of support offsite too - I'm certainly trying to do everything that I can and will try to help everyone where possible but some of the comments and attitude has genuinely got me down, very down.

I am mortified to read that -- I run a tiny, tiny blog thing (a bacteria compared to RMWeb) and I know how much work goes into just that, so I can't begin to imagine how much effort has gone into the creation of this new RMWeb.

And now I feel particularly guilty at leaving my first reactions, when they were of the "on the one hand I like this, on the other I'm not so sure about that" type. In retrospect, I think I was reacting like an ungrateful child who didn't get the exact Christmas present they were hoping for! I also screwed up by posting when I should have reported, and now I suspect I then reported something which was utterly wrong, creating more stress and hassle for Andy and the Mods.

So this is a big fat mea culpa, and a reiteration that I -- and I'm sure most other users -- are hugely grateful for the work you do, for having the vision to try to constantly improve, and the dedication to make it happen.

Thank you.

(Of course, if this were an American sitcom I'd now be offering bromance-style hugs but, as Frasier's mother always said, "a handshake is as good as a hug"!).

Paul

My first reactions are that I'm 'unsure', I like some bits, but not keen on others. This is probably to be expected with anything 'new', but I'd got so used to finding things very easily on the old forum that even spending a few tens of seconds seems like a long time now (need to work on my patienceicon_biggrin.gif ). The main thing I'm having difficulty getting used to is the 'blogs' replacing layout and workbench threads: several others have mentioned this already. Again, it may just be a matter of unfamiliarity (I don't often look at any blogs, so don't really know what to expect). However, one thing I have noticed is that there is different information in the list of 'active' (or 'new') content for forums and for blogs. The forums list contain forum title and some stats as well as the topic title, whereas the blog list just has one heading (not sure of the correct nomenclature here) and the name of the poster, so if you aren't already familiar with the blog then you don't know what the 'main' subject is, if you see what I mean. Would it be possible to add this, or is this fundamentally not possible with blogs? Please take this as constructive criticism and not a gripe: like many others I'm exceedingly grateful that this site exists at all!

However, one thing I have noticed is that there is different information in the list of 'active' (or 'new') content for forums and for blogs. The forums list contain forum title and some stats as well as the topic title, whereas the blog list just has one heading (not sure of the correct nomenclature here) and the name of the poster, so if you aren't already familiar with the blog then you don't know what the 'main' subject is, if you see what I mean.

Tim

As far as I can see at the moment (and we Mods are also finding our way around to an extent!) the only way to do this is to move to the 'main' blogs tab (i.e. outside New/Active mode) where on the dark blue bar at the top marked Community Blogs are two icons where you can toggle between blog title and entry title (AKA topic name and post name). Does that help? I don't know if those icons can be incorporated in New/Active mode as well.

Tim

As far as I can see at the moment (and we Mods are also finding our way around to an extent!) the only way to do this is to move to the 'main' blogs tab (i.e. outside New/Active mode) where on the dark blue bar at the top marked Community Blogs are two icons where you can toggle between blog title and entry title (AKA topic name and post name). Does that help? I don't know if those icons can be incorporated in New/Active mode as well.

Yes, that helps a lot: thanks. It would be great if that view could be incorporated into the new/Active mode as well, but it's not a big deal as they're already sorted by timestamp in the 'main' blogs view. I'm sure there are other more important things to sort out at the moment!! smile.gif

How long are posts going to be "previewed by a moderator"? Or is that just something for new users, and unfortunate people like me who had to re-register?

I'm finding it an annoyance in certain forums.

When we can see that you're not causing more work for us as you did yesterday.

• RMweb Premium

I tried to keep people up to speed with what the changes would mean before we moved here, I still get emails saying they can't login, why?

I've tried to give key, basic information pinned to the top of the Help Forum - http://www.rmweb.co....sked-questions/ - over 600 people have re-registered and many more existing users have logged in yet only 285 people to date have viewed that topic.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the majority don't read it (a male thing as oldudders says ;)), Martin Wynne has given some excellent answers to folk but some just don't seem to read.

Sadly there's only so much we can do, there's been an immense amount of support offsite too - I'm certainly trying to do everything that I can and will try to help everyone where possible but some of the comments and attitude has genuinely got me down, very down.

Well I for one appreciate the existence of RMweb, and would like to thank you and the mods for all the work that's gone into not only getting this version 4 up and running, but also in valiantly trying to keep both it and version 3 online when the server itself is so obviously ready to go out feet first.

• RMweb Premium

I tried to keep people up to speed with what the changes would mean before we moved here...

I don't think any of the forum members would wish you to feel down about things Andy. There is bound to be a lot of mixed emotions as folks go through a transition between things and I'll admit to sharing some of mine.

Personally I am getting more comfortable with the new format over time but there are still things that don't fit with my learned behaviours. I may have missed it in the storm of posts to do with the changes on the old forum but personally it would help me if you could share some of your reasoning behind the changes. Why blogs for layout and workbench? What was broken about PHPBB? etc. I have no doubt you have discussed this at great length with some folks but on the other hand some of us have missed this and the background might help us to understand where we are now.

Please take these comments/suggestions as constructive, we do appreciate the effort that goes on behind the scenes. The saying used to be "the customer is always right" today it is "the end user is always a pain in the..." Without an understanding of the problem we cannot be part of the solution. What's the vision?

Cheers

Dave

Personally I am getting more comfortable with the new format over time but there are still things that don't fit with my learned behaviours. I may have missed it in the storm of posts to do with the changes on the old forum but personally it would help me if you could share some of your reasoning behind the changes. Why blogs for layout and workbench? What was broken about PHPBB? etc. I have no doubt you have discussed this at great length with some folks but on the other hand some of us have missed this and the background might help us to understand where we are now.

Without an understanding of the problem we cannot be part of the solution. What's the vision?

Valid comments Dave.

I appreciate this software is different and it was a massive learning curve in setting it up as what's behind the scenes is massively more complex than what you see on the public side.

The old software, phpBB3, promised a lot when we moved onto it a couple of years ago but sadly the development of integrated addons was a lot slower to come than I'd hoped, to be expected in a way as the software is open-source and relies upon committed people to deliver workable modifications out of the goodness of their heart.

I'd long held a view that the potential of RMweb as a resource was not being met, partly limited by software capabilities limiting the opportunity to create the functionality we now have and partly because it was it was - solely a forum. I also listened to those outside RMweb and what they had to say about it, the common complaint that there was some very good stuff but also a lot of chaff which made it difficult to read. This was the driver behind the blogs, we have some of the best modellers in the country (and elsewhere) on this site who can also write inspirational and helpful content but it was lost in the middle of arguing about who makes the best 47 and why a particular magazine may be late. The vision of the blogs was to provide a suitable showcase that recognised the contribution of those who give us good modelling content. Imagery has always been one of RMweb's strengths, the gallery function was brought in to allow that to grow as a resource and inspiration.

The old database had certain errors within tables that meant that structural hierarchies were starting to go wayward, I tried to tweak appearances as much as possible on the public side but many idiosyncrasies were coming in with General forum becoming a sub forum of SWAG for instance, I couldn't resolve some of the permissions issues and administrative function problems that were rearing their head - the forum hung every time I took a backup for instance. If we'd carried on there would have been a very broken and dysfunctional mess on our hands. Fortunately we pulled up short of that point with an intact record of what's happened over the last few years.

I could have started over again with a new database running under phpBB3 but in my view we would have carried on with the same baggage from a development point of view. Some 6 months or more passed by whilst I looked at different software and how we could work with it before starting to work on this particular software. We've already taken a big step and I can see how this software can grow with us into the future better than the old one did - I just couldn't see a future of positive change with phpBB.

I am chuffed to bits with some of the blog and gallery content but I am also trying to listen to the pertinent points made about the blogs in particular to determine what people actually want. If I listen to everything I can't hear a clear message yet. Even if the beef-chaff stops I can't see the full picture, some of it's crystallising in my mind - it may not be what everyone wants or would indeed expect but I can see a possibility of a different way of doing things that addresses valid concerns.

I still believe in this step just taken that we now have the most feature rich website in this hobby in this country and possibly the world, the only vision from this point forward is to refine that so that it delivers what people can be inspired by, learn by and enjoy.

At the moment though I get the feeling that people feel I've scrapped OO and made everyone go P4. ;)

Should there be separate threads about problems with /thoughts about the blog/gallery in their own right as opposed to an overall thread on thoughts?

People seem to be finding the forum bit ok but problems with the other areas. The blog vs thread workbench idea was something I wasn't sure about and it seems to be shared by others.

Perhaps this would help sort out what peoples issues are a bit better?

I'd echo the call to anchor your reasons for move post as a sticky for people to read. There does seem to be a lot of "why?" type postings.

I have to agree..I think if you make it loud and clear as to the "whys" behind the change and I think most people will understand and make a greater effort to adapt to the new format.

Cheers

Gene

Chaps, I'm sure Andy will see your point but he's already said that he's gone out of his way to detail all sorts of things about the change, only to find people obviously havent read what he's written. Frankly, I think you could walk up to some people and stick a post-it note on their foreheads and they still wouldnt have a clue ;)

• RMweb Gold

Just found the Hide posts below a certain level of points!!

Turn it up to 100 and every comment goes awaybiggrin.gif

How cool is that!

I have to say I think the Blog idea for me is working very well, as other peoples comments are only seen when I click on them it means I can concentrate on the Bloggers posts and pictures and hence don't get bogged down with anything else.

Any comments I make can be to any of the entries..... out of the way of the main blog icon_thumbsup2.gif

I'm coming around to it slowly finding my feet as I get more used to it I like it more.

I do find the homepage rather daunting and "unfriendly" if you like. I liked the old one with all the little title photographs that were relevant to each section. Whereas now there's just those folders. Kind of cold and unfeeling compared to the pictures.

That's really the only gripe I have..

I'm really appreciative of the work that everyone has put in to this change.

Thanks

Ian

Chaps, I'm sure Andy will see your point but he's already said that he's gone out of his way to detail all sorts of things about the change, only to find people obviously havent read what he's written. Frankly, I think you could walk up to some people and stick a post-it note on their foreheads and they still wouldnt have a clue ;)

Well when they already lost their glasses up there on their head what do you expect :P . I do see your point though but it may save another handful of posts.

Whether I like the new forum or not is probably irrelevent at the end of the day. It's here and as those of us of a certain age have taken on board and adapted to more changes in our lifetime than any previous generation, I confidently predict a new version of RMweb will not phase us for too long!

tongue.gifSays he diciphering the newspeak....

Archived