"N Gauge" Three Bridges

trisonic

Thanks for replies re shops

Also Train Trax for some US stock and all things Kato

I find Macs Models pricing 'imaginative' to say the least, they are not far from me but from what I have seen at shows and on the website I find there are fiscally better options for me out there so I don't visit.

It's a very enjoyable thread. I hope Pete has a lot of fun with N, as I'm sure he will.

I think so. It's startling getting used to the scale...

Whilst waiting for the Kato diesel to arrive I bought a Centre Beam freight car. Thinking that the size was not too bad (printing legible etc.) . It was only after the loco arrived that I realized the freight car  was 72' long..........

Have I missed something where do I find the lengths of Atlas c55 turnouts? Specifically the #'s 7 and 10?

Best, Pete.

I think so. It's startling getting used to the scale...

Whilst waiting for the Kato diesel to arrive I bought a Centre Beam freight car. Thinking that the size was not too bad (printing legible etc.) . It was only after the loco arrived that I realized the freight car  was 72' long..........

Have I missed something where do I find the lengths of Atlas c55 turnouts? Specifically the #'s 7 and 10?

Best, Pete.

Pete - since they are in NJ - maybe a phone call - though possibly not till Monday? They used to do track booklets with full-size pictures of the turnouts - whether they still do.....

• RMweb Gold

I have got just one switch on the scenic area of Santa Barbara. It's an Atlas # 10.

One of the blades has come loose but a bit of wire soldered from the frog rails to the blade rail has fixed it for now.

It's possible it had been dislodged whrn cleaning the rails with the Micro mark track cleaner when it had got worn and the fixing screw may have caught the blade.

Ian

Pete - since they are in NJ - maybe a phone call - though possibly not till Monday? They used to do track booklets with full-size pictures of the turnouts - whether they still do.....

Actually I must get in touch with them anyway. I agreed with Andy Y to get onto their press release mailing list as a Mod of this Forum (only for USACAN)).     I just haven't got around to it......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame that Atlas discontinued their own forum - the N scale bit was a good resource, I found.

I also hang around nscale.net and post stuff occasionally - it's worth a lurk, since there are lots of good hints and tips.

I also hang around nscale.net and post stuff occasionally - it's worth a lurk, since there are lots of good hints and tips.

I just joined yesterday but haven't gone indepth yet...

It's a shame that there is, apparently, no  (someone is bound to put me straight)  decent track planning program for Apple Macs - I just will not put any more MS on this thing...

Best, Pete.

• 1 month later...

"JIT" ???

Just realized that I did not answer you.

JIT = Just In Time - stock management which usually means  whoever orders stock, orders to somewhat less than 90% of the demand to ensure sell out.

They must think that they are the only ones to understand this concept. EMI was using this back in the late '80's for CDs - the difference being that EMI sold it to Artists and others by proving that re-orders could be made, shipped anywhere in the World in a couple of weeks. This part of the concept has completely eluded model railway manufacturers...

Best, Pete.

Pete,

I can hardly see HO never mind N, and the Scotsman side of my picks up an N scale locomotive, looks at the size, looks at the price and says nae thanks

However, this thread is a beauty and very inspirational.

More power to your N scale elbow!

Now I'm going back to trying to 'improve' Peco code 83 turnouts... why they just didn't design 'em right in the first place, mumble grumble

Just realized that I did not answer you.

JIT = Just In Time - stock management which usually means  whoever orders stock, orders to somewhat less than 90% of the demand to ensure sell out.

EMI was using this back in the late '80's for CDs 

Sony were using an early iteration of it (just for a limited number of components) in the early eighties when I was working in purchasing with them - it was the start of my hair going grey. Suppliers hadn't quite grasped the concept of it then - they didn't realise just how much a television production line on stop for a day because 'tomorrow will do' actually cost....!!

keith

• 10 months later...

Re-titled thread and Re-Activated it.

Depending on the availability of the complete range of Atlas Code 55 track I'll probably start on this in the New Year. 

These are the plans that  Jack Shortliner sent me earlier this year:

post-9016-0-87941600-1387844857_thumb.jpg

- which is the left hand end

post-9016-0-17830400-1387844913_thumb.jpg

- the right

Three Bridges is a real location in western New Jersey. It is where the real shortline  "Black River and Western" connects with the NS (ex Conrail).

NS drops off and picks up cars   distributed by the BR & W over it's line between Three Bridges and Ringos (named after John Ringo).

I've told Jack that I'll probably have to curtail this total leg by 4 feet but should be adding an "L" off to the right - another 8 feet and 90 degrees to the right which can then also hold the mainline fiddleyard. I had qualms about the Haston-like diamond in the middle...I wanted  something a little different, retaining the "spacious" feel of the prototype which is in a bucolic part of New Jersey.

If the difficulties with the Atlas trackage continue into the new year then I'll need to come up with a new plan in HO - same sized 'boards (though I could increase width to 2 foot) and different locale.

Best, Pete.

With the exception of the diamond crossing you could use Micro Engineering Code 55 flex and #6 switches. They should be reasonably available. With the exception of switches and straights, you can still find Atlas Code 55 set-track pieces around. Credit Valley up here still has a fair quantity including a selection of diamond crossings.

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian.

I'd actually forgotten about ME Code 55.  I don't really want to go below #8, btw why don't ME do a larger range in both N and HO?

I have to say that the Atlas Code 55 flex track is really beautiful.....I've never seen a turnout!

Best, Pete.

Pete - if you are going to shorten the main leg, and then extend around to the side - it should give you room to lose the diamond and replace it with  just the two opposite direction switches (swapping their positions - it was only included to fit the layout into the available length - you may also be able to fit the storage tracks into the right hand end that we had to lose from the prototype. It may also be possible to add a concrete hard-standing beside them and use it for a team track/builders supply/scrap/oil offloading to tanker lorries/ loading area for a bit more variation in cars and loads - it could easily be an extension to the propane suppliers business

Thanks, Adrian.

I'd actually forgotten about ME Code 55.  I don't really want to go below #8, btw why don't ME do a larger range in both N and HO?

I have to say that the Atlas Code 55 flex track is really beautiful.....I've never seen a turnout!

Best, Pete.

Your local store had some of the curved turnouts in stock when I was there. Not what you need, I know, but you can see what they look like. The one thing about them is that they don't have an over-centre spring, so your point motor has to hold the blades over. I'm planning to use servos, controlled by ESU and Digirails servo decoders.

I like the Atlas flex better than the ME (it is more flexible for one thing), but I use the ME bridge rail for bridges. The rail is such that you can thread Atlas tie web onto ME rail and vice-versa, so making bridge decks that transition into plain flex is easy.

Adrian

Jack, I'll probably do that. I send you final measurements early next week. That would allow me to use ME #6's (if I have to too).

Adrian, I haven't been to Piscataway since you were there as I have been a little under the weather.

Thanks for all the ideas, I like research, I like building but for some reason I hate planning, Thank God for Jack!

Best, Pete.

Archived