Bristol O gauge Show - 20 January 2013

cromptonnut

It's the roads a bit further out than Filton that will concern a lot of us who will be travelling long distance, but at the moment (1300hrs) the motorway network is running OK albeit down from 3 lanes to 2 on bits of the M4 and M5.

There are live webcams on all the motorways with live internet feeds so you can see what's happening.

See you all Sunday (I hope)

John

Hi Paul,

I'm driving our van over tomorrow from Cambridgeshire, with Helmthwaite & Chapel Lane - we aren't on the website either, but I think they update it once every two years.

Despite all the excitable nonsense broadcast by radio and TV, life does not stop just because it's winter,

Cheers,

John

the motorway network is running OK albeit down from 3 lanes to 2 on bits of the M4 and M5

Last I heard it was one lane between J30 and J14 of the M5 ... that's a fair chunk!

Coming down quite heavily here in Surrey now but the roads are fairly clear - as long as they keep gritting the main roads it's just the mile or so I have tomorrow to the main road that worries me, the rest being motorway should be reasonably good.

Sorry to hear Tower have pulled out, I hope there aren't too many other "casualties" although to be fair it's mostly the layouts I want to see, having splurged at Reading my budget is low for this show and I'm bringing the wife as wallet insurance with instructions to tut loudly if I stop and look at anything for sale for more than 30 seconds.

Last I heard it was one lane between J30 and J14 of the M5 ... that's a fair chunk!

I think you may have been misinformed.

I have just looked at the live traffic cams from J30 - J17. Only lane 3 is closed in a some spots.

Four lanes are open and the traffic is running OK.

Here are the links to the live cameras for J17 and J18.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/somerset/trafficcameras/highwaysagency/48360

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/somerset/trafficcameras/highwaysagency/48401

Let us wait and see what it looks like tomorrow for those of us travelling from afar, and on Sunday for visitors.

Best,

John

For me it's the roads around Cwmbran South Wales I'm worried about. I'm on the side of a mountain. Not so much excitable nonsense more of what I can see out side my window.

I don't want to battle out only to find half the exhibitors haven't turned up.

I have just phones Dick at Westdale and he was busy putting orders together to take with him. But he did say he had a devil of a job driving today in a 4 wheel drive car round his neck of the woods. As with all these clear main roads it's getting to them that's the trouble. Must admit I am in two minds whether to risk it as I have only been driving a car for 1 year. If I go by train to Parkway is a taxi from there to the venue?

Just looked and there is a train from Oxford to Didcot at 09:05 with 5 minutes at Didcot that gets into Parkway at 10:09. Not bad but why do I have no confidence in a plus 5 at Didcot these day's?

The "location" page (http://www.bogg7mmshow.com/location.php) states that "Free Vintage Bus Service to/from Parkway Railway Station Please phone with ETA at Parkway so bus driver can make certain you are collected." but whether that is still planned if the weather is inclement I don't know - it may, as suggested, be worth ringing one of the numbers on that page to enquire.

It looks about 1.5 miles on the map so it's not particularly walkable (especially in this weather).  Not sure about buses as they were all suspended today, but if you want a taxi  then you could try http://www.bristolparkwaytaxis.co.uk/ - no connection, never used but a quick Google found them.

Must admit I am in two minds whether to risk it as I have only been driving a car for 1 year. If I go by train to Parkway is a taxi from there to the venue?

Parkway to UWE should not take you more than 20 mins on foot. Not the most exciting walk, but not difficult either and a look at Google maps should make it pretty clear.

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

It is in walking distance. Left outside the station and first left. After 200 yards take the right, follow the road for another 200 yards then left crossing into (I think) Harry Stoke lane which leads to UWE. The conference centre is in the old Hewlett Packard site which is now the North Entance of UWE, when you get to the end of the lane take a right and the conference centre is about 300 yards on the left after you cross the road by the lights.

Neil

I can collect you from Parkway if you want Brian.

My apartment is only 5 mins from Parkway and UWE is just around the corner from there.

Thank you very much for the offer. I am off to work soon so will see how the railways are coping. I will go out tomorrow and see how the roads are and make my mind then so keep your eye on here and I will let you know.

With everyone's eye's on the weather I've just been round to the UWE exhibition center on my way back from work and thought I'd take a few pics of the current situation on my phone to help update people.

The main roundabout next to the Holiday Inn and associated duel carriage ways are perfectly passable

post-1606-0-41195300-1358531462_thumb.jpg

Access road to the Exhibition Center

post-1606-0-66621800-1358531491_thumb.jpg

Access road looking the other way, again perfectly passable

post-1606-0-25289800-1358531516_thumb.jpg

General view of the building

post-1606-0-44701600-1358531547_thumb.jpg

A few pics of the associated car parks

post-1606-0-65705600-1358531588_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-78261000-1358531637_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-80525500-1358531675_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-95186400-1358531704_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-34583900-1358531732_thumb.jpg

Considering this is 5pm on Friday evening IMHO I think it should be fine for Sunday (assuming no further snow falls like the one we had this morning), but that obviously is ultimately up to the exhibition organizers and travelers to decide.

I have no association with the exhibition personally (not even my scale! :)) however I do hope that it still manages to go ahead and I plan on being there all being well.

Hope the pics are useful, it really isn't as bad as it could have been and I think the council have done a sterling job of keeping the roads clear (hence why i didn't get a snow day!).

Kind Regards

Paul

Hmmmmm... main roads may be reported as improving but as has been mentioned previously it's a matter of getting to them for some of us... out in the countryside of SE Wales we still have all of the 6-9" of snow that came down yesterday 'plus' ice. No council gritters or snowploughs come within five miles! My trip to the nearest supermarket for essentials this morning involved an awful lot of sideways and a couple of heart-in-mouth moments going downhill – and that's 'with' the benefit of four-wheel-drive and deep-tread, soft-compound winter tyres.

Unless things improve I think I'll be staying in the safe and warm doing a bit of modelling. If you do travel.... have a safe journey.

David

[EDIT: 2 hours later]

Just been having a chat with the owner of the village shop who says that three local farms are planning to get together this afternoon to have a go at the milk collection route – they've even collected grit from the council depot! Which might mean I wouldn't have anything like as much of the slippery stuff to negotiate before I could be on treated roads. Fingers crossed :-)

Archived