Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

Apologies if this has been up before, but the parcels stock is incidental to the general scene. Note not one SR vehicle in sight.

But there might be, or probably is, some in the part of the train that is out of shot. :O 

G.

• RMweb Gold

I think the loco is a DSL at the further end?

Yes, there's an 08 at the far end. It appears in another of Bill's shots on the same day. I'm not sure but think it may be a stock collection of stuff lying around at Snow Hill as it was the last day of main line operation and the last booked parcels working would probably have been the day before. I was working elsewhere that day but on the Saturday there had been quite a lot of BRUTES about on the platform.

Note the other details, the passengers on Platform 5 waiting for the Birkenhead train, the well-loaded BRUTE probably for the same one when Royal Mail was a 24/7 operation, and the man at the bottom of the steps who used to sell newspapers and magazines on Sunday morning when Menzies didn't open. He would have them all laid out on a GWR platform barrow. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What is the vehicle closest to the camera?

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

A LNER long CCT (beaten by Andy). 4mm models by Hornby, RTR, Parkside, plastic kit and if you can get hold of one Chivers etched kit. All very good models, at some point in time I have had all 3 but not at the same time to do a close comparison.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The DMU appears to be missing an engine, on way to works perhaps?

I don't think it had one to start off with; it seems to have been one of the Driving Trailer Composites, intended to be used in conjunction with the single-car Class 121 and 122 units during peak periods. They seem to have originally have been used around the London Division; not sure why one might be in S Wales, which didn't have a lot of single-car duties.

DMU cars in parcels trains were always unpowered trailer cars, that's because the motor cars could propel themselves to the works. For moving unpowered trailer cars parcels trains would have been the most handy thing.