Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

Crikey, MD!

Is that a regular working?

Rough date?

And, where is its nameplate?

Apologies if that is a lot of questions, but a photo like that invites them.

Kevin

Following the flickr link will answer most, Kevin. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Something from a bit further back - a train we were working on on Grantham this weekend. Photos by Graham Nicholas.

Here an overall view of the train, which was an evening working from King's Cross to Holgate Sidings, York, I believe. Parcels and ECS. It stopped at Grantham to change locos and allow some of the northbound streamliners to overtake.

Grantham_parcels_1_zps45xupgfj.jpg

We wanted to record the consist as this formation ran without derailing, while the combination I'd put together at Grantham did struggle through some of the older PECO slips.

Grantham_parcels_2_zpsf3s0ujmf.jpg

From the loco: Hornby LMS horsebox (a quick and dirty way to get a Kadee onto the front of the train), MSE LMS horsebox (not sure who has this kit now), Kirk 51' Gresley BG, D & S GCR CCT (now available from the GCRS), D & S GNR Luggage Brake, D & S LNER 32' General Van.

Grantham_parcels_3_zpsacwtdziu.jpg

Roger Chivers NER high roof CCT, D & S LNER pigeon van, MicroRail Midland CCT (available from David Geen), 2 D & S GNR horseboxes, D & S GER 32' CCT, D & S GNR 32'6" Luggage Brake.

D & S do regularly issue 4mm lists, so rather than fund the Ebay profiteers, do keep an eye out on here or the LNER Encyclopedia for an announcement or drop Danny an SAE.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Really interesting thread with great pictures.  Parcels trains are some of the most interesting formations. During the late 70s I remember watching the Saturday morning arrival at York being shunted from what was platform 16 into the sidings after being unloaded.  That train was sometimes longer than the platform and included vans from all four pre-nationalisation companies including LMS BGs, GUV, Stove R, Gresley BG, Thompson BZ, loads of southern vans and the occasional GWR syphon G.  I am making up a couple of rakes for my Waverley Route model....

post-11545-0-27994400-1447141484_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-18499700-1447141525_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

For those of you (im)patiently waiting for Class 71's  (I don't think we've had this?)

7777193800_1351590c3d_z.jpgE5010 at Denton by Peter, on Flickr

Nice

The Thames & Medway canal with some water in it !

Presumably a vacuum piped brakevan in the train too

That's not the conductor rail running just above the track but the timber 33kV feeder cable route

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere but presumably a parcels train could be split and added to during its journey from A to B. So us modellers wanting to add a bit of interest to usual train comes into station, stops and then leaves again. So we could model these movements.

Train comes in, couple of vehicles removed from front or back and shunted into a bay. Perhaps a couple of vehicles added from the bay added to the back or front. Remarshalled train pulls out.

Later in the day parcels train heading somewhere else comes in, vehicles in the bay added, train pulls out again

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere but presumably a parcels train could be split and added to during its journey from A to B. So us modellers wanting to add a bit of interest to usual train comes into station, stops and then leaves again. So we could model these movements.

Train comes in, couple of vehicles removed from front or back and shunted into a bay. Perhaps a couple of vehicles added from the bay added to the back or front. Remarshalled train pulls out.

Later in the day parcels train heading somewhere else comes in, vehicles in the bay added, train pulls out again

There was a litle less of that when BRUTE working came in in the mid-60s. The formations remained more fixed, while each station added BRUTE trolleys in equal number to those that it removed. But yes, vans, like wagons, were added, detached, shunted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple for people who want a minimum space parcels that's a bit different (afraid neither image can be embedded). Sc55013 in faded green livery at Perth 1971 with blanked-out windows, and later (still in green) withdrawn at Falkirk (unidentified date)

https://flic.kr/p/p87STM

https://flic.kr/p/xmqbYb

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting vehicles towards the back - third from rear (behind a signal post) is a BR Standard goods brake van.  The red van in front of that looks rather 'non standard' - might be an ex LNER GUV? - then in front of that possibly two Southern 4-wheelers - does anybody else think one of them might be one of the 'birdcage' Night Ferry brake vans?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Struggled to orientate that Gloucester shot initially but can now see its Eastgate looking north

I think the birdcage van is an illusion - another vehicle behind the train perhaps?

Phil

Some interesting vehicles towards the back - third from rear (behind a signal post) is a BR Standard goods brake van.  The red van in front of that looks rather 'non standard' - might be an ex LNER GUV? - then in front of that possibly two Southern 4-wheelers - does anybody else think one of them might be one of the 'birdcage' Night Ferry brake vans?

You could be right about the vehicle with the raised portion of roof- I can't think of anything similar that would have been in service then. I saw S3S, freshly painted in Rail Blue,  at Swansea High St in the very early 1970s.

• RMweb Premium

Struggled to orientate that Gloucester shot initially but can now see its Eastgate looking north

I think the birdcage van is an illusion - another vehicle behind the train perhaps?

Phil

I'm inclined to agree about the PLV with the lookout - you can see a line of vehicles on the opposite platform behind and it doesn't line up with those.  What the van in front of the BV is I really can't tell from the quality of the scan.

I did wonder whether it was an illusion caused by another vehicle standing behind on another road, but couldn't get the picture big enough on my screen to really be able to tell.  Just wondered whether anybody else could see better!