RMweb

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

• RMweb Premium

Need I say more...

5699839866_de835da9d3_z.jpg

Our Wedding Day, Ffestiniog, 1/5/11 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

I was a kitesurfing, racing driver, general adrenaline junkie when we met. I felt 'responsible' and decided to revert to something safer as a hobby. She was fine with trains at the start but so long as I don't bat on about it she doesn't mind now. Married 3 years ago yesterday!

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 12

What the Hxll did you tell her you were a train spotter for, you Wally.You should have told her you were a railway modeller,girls can't resist them,they just swoon at the sight of one.You would have "pulled" for sure.Well in my experience you would anyway.

Fellow Modeller.

Brad Pitt.

At the time I wasn't a modeller, and the book is about trainspotting lol

At the time I wasn't a modeller, and the book is about trainspotting lol

Sorry for calling you a Wally.I did check out your layout to check you were actually a modeller before posting.(the layouts coming on nicely)

A sense of humour also helps to pull the chicks, almost as much as telling them you're a modeller, at least it does in my experience anyway.

Sorry.(I'm just not very funny.)

Iain.(I was only joking when I claimed to be Brad Pitt.)

Edited by iainp
  • Like 1

Need I say more...

5699839866_de835da9d3_z.jpg

Our Wedding Day, Ffestiniog, 1/5/11 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

I was a kitesurfing, racing driver, general adrenaline junkie when we met. I felt 'responsible' and decided to revert to something safer as a hobby. She was fine with trains at the start but so long as I don't bat on about it she doesn't mind now. Married 3 years ago yesterday!

Now I know why women cry at weddings.  The scenery in your picture is absolutely beautiful...  :cry:(and hearty congratulations to you both, by the way)

Edited by steve22
  • Like 1

"My lass is the regional under 20's Hammer throw champion..... should i be worried  ;) (I add there is a very small age gap. she is just turned 20, Im 21, just so no-one gets the wrong idea  :jester:  ) "

I'll bet you don't argue with her very often, unless you can run out of range.  But no, don't be worried.  Well, only if it's a silver one and, er... her name isn't Maxwell, by any chance?

• Like 2

Sorry for calling you a Wally.I did check out your layout to check you were actually a modeller before posting.(the layouts coming on nicely)

A sense of humour also helps to pull the chicks, almost as much as telling them you're a modeller, at least it does in my experience anyway.

Sorry.(I'm just not very funny.)

Iain.(I was only joking when I claimed to be Brad Pitt.)

Lol, I was amused :-) as I said I am now married to a wonderful and understanding lady who goes on Railtours and model railway shows, and encouraged me to start to travel on European railways :-)

Thankyou not got much done on it lately life does get in the way a bit

"My lass is the regional under 20's Hammer throw champion..... should i be worried  ;) (I add there is a very small age gap. she is just turned 20, Im 21, just so no-one gets the wrong idea  :jester:  ) "

I'll bet you don't argue with her very often, unless you can run out of range.  But no, don't be worried.  Well, only if it's a silver one and, er... her name isn't Maxwell, by any chance?

HAHA In a previous position, before wrecking a knee and shoulder playing rugby I used to blacksmith, so were evenly matched for strength, although I have a HUGE weight advantage, She is 11 stone at 6 foot, Im 19 stone at 6 foot (much less back ache!) she is lovely really, and she is getting more into railways :D she is asking a load of questions and getting really into the whole layout building side! I think im in heaven

Sea

• Like 2

Good luck to you Mickey, I know my limitations.

I'd have no chance with a high school girl.For a start how the Hxll would we ever communicate? I can't text message to save my life!

Unless I suppose it was an ex high school girl, very ex, oh actually I've already got one of them. :friends:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My wife was actually encouraging me to buy a new loco today. It was me that resisted.

What did she want???

• Like 1

Need I say more...5699839866_de835da9d3_z.jpgOur Wedding Day, Ffestiniog, 1/5/11 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

She's a beauty! (by which I mean the 'Earl' :), obviously )

I must confess that when I do get married (cart before horse or what?) then I'd like a wedding reception involving something that chuffs and runs along rails. Preferably narrow ones :)

If its not too personal a question for an open forum, how much was that section of the big day? I'm just a little curious :)

• RMweb Gold

My partner spent 10 hours on the fens on Saturday with me, yesterday we went out for a few hours - to see a preserved railway and last night she came out for a couple of hours whilst I photographed 66705 on a late running ballast. This morning I'm musing over photographing a couple of 90s on the main line to Norwich and she's happy to tag along, as long as she has the iPad to use whilst I froth.

That's why she gets a cup of tea in bed in the morning

• Like 4

My other half was serving tea and sandwiches at a model railway 'do' yesterday and said she enjoyed the day as she is getting known now and people actually talk to her....

On Thursday she encouraged me to buy another Bachy 4F before the prices go through the roof.

Having said that I help her with her jewellery making business which she's just starting.

It works both ways. :secret:

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

She's a beauty! (by which I mean the 'Earl' :), obviously )

I must confess that when I do get married (cart before horse or what?) then I'd like a wedding reception involving something that chuffs and runs along rails. Preferably narrow ones :)

If its not too personal a question for an open forum, how much was that section of the big day? I'm just a little curious :)

We chartered a coach on a service train. I seem to remember the decorations were free. We paid a full return ticket for the while coach which I think was around £300. For an additional cost they supplied a buffet for the coach which was nice.

On the day (hottest of the year) we just got past Tanny B and come across a bank fire which held us and we had to fester at tan until our return path back to port which slighly inconvenienced us. Upon our return to port they kindly refunded our total spend including buffet, gave everyone a free ticket for the following day and gave us a pullman ticket for the WHR that had just opened. Plus we got to keep the headboard!

Now thats service!

There are more pictures on my Flickr account...

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

From the profanisaurus of one Mr R Mellie

Smellibacy An involuntary state of total sexual abstinence caused by hygiene issues. - Up to 70% are believed to be Smellibate at one time...

Just thought I'd throw that out there....................may be of help..............just saying....... :danced:

My partner spent 10 hours on the fens on Saturday with me, yesterday we went out for a few hours - to see a preserved railway and last night she came out for a couple of hours whilst I photographed 66705 on a late running ballast. This morning I'm musing over photographing a couple of 90s on the main line to Norwich and she's happy to tag along, as long as she has the iPad to use whilst I froth.

That's why she gets a cup of tea in bed in the morning

My girlfriend's a 2nd Dan Black-belt in Tae-Kwon-Do. That's why she gets a cup of tea in bed in the morning...

PS.You know what Beastly one, when I first read your post about your extended York trip,I thought you'd made it up for comedy effect.It was only later that I realised it was actually true!

Your girl's definitely one in a million you've definitely got to keep her.I'm just amazed she puts up with it, she has to be a closet enthusiast surely.

It's all about tolerance and compromise I find. I'm getting good at brokering deals, my latest is I get to go to DEMU on my own on the Sunday so can stay all day without feeling like I'm dragging the mrs around and she's bored to tears.

My wallet doesn't quite agree however as it's costing me 3 nights in a cottage and a trip to Chatsworth on the Saturday... :blink:

Though she has (and continues) to put up with the under construction layout up in the sitting room for over a month now.

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit that, whilst our current living arrangements are not ideal, I am very lucky with the understanding shown by my wife Sarah. We have booked a week's holiday in Norfolk for July and I already have a promise that we can visit the North Norfolk and the Bure Valley Railways during the week. She has also shown no objection to my attending DEMU next Saturday or the Bakewell show the following weekend. In fact for the latter it will be a family outing as I will be going to the show with my father in law whilst Sarah, mother in law and our daughter head off around the town. We have had that arrangement for the last three years. She has also shown a remarkable understanding when I mentioned I could be out all day at the Great Central event in June due to the possibility of helping with the operation of a layout there.

Finally following a week where things have been decidedly cr## she has even encouraged me to go shopping in the local model shop to cheer me up. She is a gem!

• Like 1