Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

• RMweb Gold

After years of dating and relationships I realised I actually preferred being single, then the pandemic happened and I rediscovered railway modelling. It’s a marriage made in heaven. 🙂😇 Being older helps too.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Wow! Three years of dormancy caused me to catch up with a slew of old posts, one including the unfortunately apt Freudian Severn Valley typo Hampton Load (sic).

Far better than Littlehampton!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

My wife, when still my girlfriend, got me a little Bachmann N-gauge train set for my 27th birthday that resparked my interest in trains that hadn't happened since I was 13. And the current railway obsession was sparked in November 2020 upon receiving her great-grandfather's old HO Tyco trains to run under the Christmas tree. By Christmas Day, I had not only discovered British outline trains, but had since purchased a Mainline Royal Scot and two coaches and had them running under the tree on a raised proto-layout with a grassmat and station.

These days she thinks I spent too much money and time on the hobby ("Are you in there playing trains again?" or "More train stuff? When are you ever gonna stop with the train stuff?") and seems to have in general a very dim view of what she technically started!

And then randomly last week she asked me if I had ever thought about making a small layout for a railway exhibition.

:facepalm:

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

“Want to meet Lady with interest in model railways for serious relationship. Please send picture….. of model railway!”

Seriously now, mine has no interest whatsoever and regularly asks “how many exhibitions do you want to go to / how many locomotives do you want?”

To which I reply “I don’t smoke and I’m not interested in football. Goodness knows what a premier season ticket / packet of20 cost?”  Can anyone tell?

As an aside, I sat next to a young lady on the train yesterday and noticed she was reading a book about historical buildings and architecture. She seemed most interested when I told her about Pendon; “Come and visit, you’ll like it” I said.  Oh if I was 40 years younger ☹️

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, AyJay said:

“Want to meet Lady with interest in model railways for serious relationship. Please send picture….. of model railway!”

Seriously now, mine has no interest whatsoever and regularly asks “how many exhibitions do you want to go to / how many locomotives do you want?”

To which I reply “I don’t smoke and I’m not interested in football. Goodness knows what a premier season ticket / packet of20 cost?”  Can anyone tell?

When I met my partner, I told her 2nd date that I had hobbies and she never batted an eyelid.  She isn't interested but supports me 100%.

She actively encourages me to go to exhibitions (as a punter and exhibitor), and encourages me to buy what I need/want.  In her own words "its your money, you earned it, you can do what you want with it"

When talking about buying a new house, she is adamant that I must have a decent space for a hobby room.

If she was to try tell me how to spend my own money, she'd no longer be my partner!

Edited by YT-1300
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AyJay said:

As an aside, I sat next to a young lady on the train yesterday and noticed she was reading a book about historical buildings and architecture. She seemed most interested when I told her about Pendon; “Come and visit, you’ll like it” I said.  Oh if I was 40 years younger ☹️

https://www.statista.com/statistics/328654/premier-league-teams-ranked-by-most-expensive-season-ticket-price/

Average price for a packet of 20  £15.67

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Probably better looking at "average" prices for season tickets as those £3000 Fulham ones are very top end in a tiny stadium that holds 25,000.

Most will be between £500 to £800. Divide by 19 for cost per game. Most tickets are about £25 to £40 per game. If you can get one!

Some clubs like Liverpool have got a 30 year waiting list for season tickets!

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

If I was looking for a new lover now, I think I’d soften her up with some more “ normal “ pursuits like gaslighting and base jumping first ….

before she accidentally spies the layout along the wall, in my love palace … “ oh yes , that’s my other hobby….”

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Probably better looking at "average" prices for season tickets as those £3000 Fulham ones are very top end in a tiny stadium that holds 25,000.

Most will be between £500 to £800. Divide by 19 for cost per game. Most tickets are about £25 to £40 per game. If you can get one!

Some clubs like Liverpool have got a 30 year waiting list for season tickets!

Jason

Still more than the average I spend going sailing one day a week +,  all year  every year..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, YT-1300 said:

When I met my partner, I told her 2nd date that I had hobbies and she never batted an eyelid.  She isn't interested but supports me 100%.

She actively encourages me to go to exhibitions (as a punter and exhibitor), and encourages me to buy what I need/want.  In her own words "its your money, you earned it, you can do what you want with it"

When talking about buying a new house, she is adamant that I must have a decent space for a hobby room.

If she was to try tell me how to spend my own money, she'd no longer be my partner!

Has she got a sister?

Mike.

• Funny 13

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Still more than the average I spend going sailing one day a week +,  all year  every year..

You could get an Everton* season ticket. It's cheaper if the seat is facing the pitch.

Boom Tish!

One of Eric Morecambe's ISTR.

*Change to rival club of choice.

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 10

I met my Better Half in Belfast in early 1978, when I mentioned my railway interests (large and small) early on she told me her home was close to Adelaide on the Belfast - Dublin main line. I ended up taking a few photos around there...... Just before this and partly as a result of a trip to Scotland the previous year I had converted a Lima Class 33 into a Class 26 and a Hornby Class 25 to an Inverness Class 24, aware that Hornby had announced the Class 29 to go with them - on a visit to Belfast city centre later that year we popped into a model shop and there was the newly-released Class 29 on sale - I purchased one, expressed my disappointment with it and listed all of the features I would have to change (which as many will know was extensive on this abomination!).......she was astonished that I would hack about a brand new product, but at that point she probably realised I took the hobby seriously!

We got married anyway, and although she still has zero interest in railways, if we're both at home she knows where I'll be and what I'll be doing while she's watching TV (right now she's into Korean and Chinese dramas on Netflix, these are very long so I'm getting a lot of modelling done 😜!) My following of events on the real railway dwindled to near zero years ago as the current scene is so far removed from what I fondly remember and continues to shrink, so no more solo disappearing acts on that score........

As others have said I have never smoked or had any interest in football, so this is the hobby my money gets spent on. During the years leading up to retirement I will quietly admit to having some locomotives sent to my work address in order to 'thin out' the home deliveries a bit (as many have owned up to!) but I was in the fortunate position of having to take a small pension which kicked in early so I took the opportunity to 'stock up' on known requirements while I was still earning. 

I do sometimes wonder, though, what her reaction would be if she could see exactly how much stuff I've accumulated over the past couple of decades - both in the drawers in my modelling room and stored in boxes in the loft (although much of the latter is up for disposal at some point following multiple changes of plan!) However when I remember how little I was paying for these compared to current pricing coupled with an eye for a bargain my conscience is.........well, let's say reasonably clear 😊!

• Like 9

...I've had no mither re hobbies with any of the last three ladies in my life (around 24 years total) cos I manage the time, space required and cost expenditure involved at sensible levels. My current girlfriend still works and enjoys watching the various soaps that she records during the week, giving me a nice amount of time to get some modelling done, as well as have a decent social life with her.

BeRTIe

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Apologies if this has been posted before but I thought it relevant to this thread. 😀

FB_IMG_1711123572787.jpg.8e8a936f00e1de8f5eee77b0d17349f7.jpg

In my case "I like model railways and play in a Brass Band" she replied "So does my Dad." We have been married almost 39 years.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, DCB said:

In my case "I like model railways and play in a Brass Band" she replied "So does my Dad." We have been married almost 39 years.

Ooh , double whammy .

Well done !

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, westerner said:

I can't believe, afte all this time, we are still talking about this subject, perhaps it says more about us than our partners whether girlfriends or wives

Or both even 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2024 at 15:03, DCB said:

WHAT?   You married her Dad!!! 😁

• Funny 9