Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

When my wife laughs at my trains...

I just remind her I fly jets, have two passports, and shoot guns.....I'm a fat version of James Bond , that's my cool side that should balance my nerdomongus side....

Two passports !  .You must be very fat .

My 2nd wife knew about my hobbies before we met, as I put it on my profile on an on-line dating site. Since my first marriage I think honesty is the key, so if prospective dates didn't like it, it was their loss in my opinion. My wife even mentioned Tornado on our first date, asking if I know anything about it. So I took her to Stourbridge to watch her steam through one Saturday afternoon.

Although football is our main interest in common, she loves spending time with me down by the river Severn at Arley or Trimpley watching the trains go by. I took her to the NEC for the Warley exhibition within three weeks of us dating, and she was fascinated by it all, so much so she disappeared and came back with a Hornby Collectors Loco for me, and said that should fit in with your train set. 

Now we have a little man in our lives, I'm now being harassed to get on with my layout so Shaun can watch the trains. I believe an order for a Tomix Thomas has been made recently, that's probably my fathers day present.

• Like 5

Hi,

Today I went to a local model railway show and I actually met a young lady about my age who's actually interested in model railways and possesses model railway items.
Probably wasn't interested in me but had a chat about various things... still a major achievement!

post-13630-0-20623900-1398538443.jpg

:sungum: 

• Like 6

Hi,

Today I went to a local model railway show and I actually met a young lady about my age who's actually interested in model railways and possesses model railway items.

Probably wasn't interested in me but had a chat about various things... still a major achievement!

attachicon.gifUntitled-6.jpg

:sungum: 

Good luck to you!

I must say I am taking my Girlfriend to a few of the preserved railways over the summer months :D

She is also into Blacksmithing, Hammer throw and engineering, oh and shares my passion for HUGE machinery (Make of that what you will guys and gals)

One point I do make is that there are a contingent of female modelers out there (A good number on RM) al of which make excellent jobs of what they do, From a scientific stand point, a woman should be able to out-do a man when it comes to half the modeling tasks, its no secret that they generally develop much better fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination...

JUst thought i would mention it...

Sean

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't understand the problem.

A couple of weeks ago my partner came with me on our elongated journey to York, we travelled to Retford for some coal action, over to Barnetby for the evening iron ores / coals, another day at Barnetby when she operated one of the video cameras and then over to Milford for the evening, the next day we went to Whitley Bridge where she patiently spent half the day watching me photograph coal trains, I then dropped her at the hotel so she could watch a DVD and I went back for more coals and then, on Good Friday, we travelled to York, stopping at Colton Junction (of course) for a couple of hours on the way, where we spent Easter weekend - and she was a steward at the York show.

She did say "Never again" when we got home, but I know she was only kidding.

• RMweb Gold

She did say "Never again" when we got home, but I know she was only kidding.

They all say that.

But as we all know when a woman says no she really means...........well NO......

You'll just have to pay the single supplement on the room next year.

My other half kept borrowing my tools for her Jewellery making. Now she's bought her own and know's how to use them. She's even planning her own website but not before the LMS one is revamped....

I know it's not trains but it's still making something.

Dave Franks

I must say I am taking my Girlfriend to a few of the preserved railways over the summer months :D

She is also into Blacksmithing, Hammer throw and engineering, oh and shares my passion for HUGE machinery (Make of that what you will guys and gals)

One point I do make is that there are a contingent of female modelers out there (A good number on RM) al of which make excellent jobs of what they do, From a scientific stand point, a woman should be able to out-do a man when it comes to half the modeling tasks, its no secret that they generally develop much better fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination...

JUst thought i would mention it...

Sean

That is why - in Europe at least - most of the assembly work on our models (Roco/Fleischmann/Piko/Maerklin/Trix) is done by ladies.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

got up this morning to a note from Clare saying as we are both off this weekend can I plan a railway trip for us as I am off today

I can remember on our first date when Clare said to me you may find this a bit odd but I like steam trains my face lit up

when we where trying to work out weather to live in Darlington or Crawley she said if you come down and live with me you can have the spare bedroom for your model railway

often when a parcel turns up from Liverpool it will be open when I get home as Clare is always curious as to what I have bought then will ask lot of questions as to where when and what for

• Like 2

My other half kept borrowing my tools for her Jewellery making. Now she's bought her own and know's how to use them. She's even planning her own website but not before the LMS one is revamped....

I know it's not trains but it's still making something.

Dave Franks

Buy her some lost-wax casting kit for Christmas?

The Nim.

While dating,I met up with one lady at a bookshop, I arrived early and had a look round and found a book I wanted called Platform Souls, we met and got on quite well... until she saw the bag and asked what I bought. I showed her she daid "you're not a trainspotter are you?" I answered sort of.

"You never put that on you're profile, any way I have to go now."

That was the last I heard from her and she blocked me.

Luckily I have now met someone who accepts my hoby so was my gain :-)

I just remind her I fly jets, have two passports, and shoot guns.....I'm a fat version of James Bond , that's my cool side that should balance my nerdomongus side....

Never mind you're James Bond lifestyle rob D2, anyone who can invent the word nerdomongus has to be pretty cool.Perhaps you should mention it to AndyY he could use it in future site advertising.

I can see it now;

Visit RMWEB the social networking site for the Nerdomongus.

Sounds like our kind of people.

• Like 1

Actually to return to topic of girlfriends.My girlfriends response to any mention of my layout is usually met with a response of almost total indifference.She reserves her total indifference,actually more like total disdain, for the occasions I mention something amusing/interesting I've seen on RMWEB.In fact I never mention RMWEB any more, her look of total disgust is too much for me.

Yes, plenty of people on here have interesting “jobs”......

I used to “shoot guns” too and left the UK in disgust when I was equated with criminals after fulfilling an interesting and lucrative career (for HM’s Government) from there,

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Hey! AndyY are you reading this? I think you're missing a trick here.RMWEB already has a classified section why not a Lonely Hearts dating section.It's a brilliant idea, just perfect for single model-rail enthusiasts to meet other fellow enthusiasts for sex or alternatively marriage.

It'll also be brilliant for virile good looking blokes like myself who have to fight the "chicks" off, as we can all have a laugh at the WLTM's as they brag about how big their loft conversions and garden sheds are.

• Like 2

While dating,I met up with one lady at a bookshop, I arrived early and had a look round and found a book I wanted called Platform Souls, we met and got on quite well... until she saw the bag and asked what I bought. I showed her she daid "you're not a trainspotter are you?" I answered sort of.

That was the last I heard from her and she blocked me.

Luckily I have now met someone who accepts my hoby so was my gain :-)

What the Hxll did you tell her you were a train spotter for, you Wally.You should have told her you were a railway modeller,girls can't resist them,they just swoon at the sight of one.You would have "pulled" for sure.Well in my experience you would anyway.

Fellow Modeller.

Brad Pitt.

• RMweb Gold

Hey! AndyY are you reading this? I think you're missing a trick here.RMWEB already has a classified section why not a Lonely Hearts dating section.

He did mention in another thread that he is targeted for ads about "mature Russian ladies".....maybe he's on the case already.....

He did mention in another thread that he is targeted for ads about "mature Russian ladies".....maybe he's on the case already.....

Or thinking of setting up a sideline business in people trafficking. :jester:

Edit:To add joker.(Don't want to risk getting chucked of the site.I'm probably on thin ice as it is.)

Edited by iainp

• RMweb Gold

That was the last I heard from her and she blocked me...............................

At least you found out straight away that she wasn't the one for you: Bigoted intolerance based on ignorance isn't a very appealing character trait.  :nono:   

Edited by Wellyboots

If she's a shot putter you've got to have the balls for it. :O

My lass is the regional under 20's Hammer throw champion..... should i be worried ;) (I add there is a very small age gap. she is just turned 20, Im 21, just so no-one gets the wrong idea :jester:  )

At least you found out straight away that she wasn't the one for you: Bigoted intolerance based on ignorance isn't a very appealing character trait.  :nono:   

Very well said that man!

Sean

Edited by sean hpw