Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

• RMweb Gold

On RMWeb, the task for whatever the KGB is called these days is simple in the extreme: enrol a couple of incognito members who mention things like 00-SF (is that what it's called?), whether or not 'rivet counters' are a good thing or a bad thing, whether Halls were built with the lamp-irons set 1/4" further apart than on Granges etc.

Or which way round they should be on a 94xx Lickey Banker.

• RMweb Gold

I'll say only one thing:

I've lost a lot of friends by admitting to being a railway enthusiast.

They're not your friends then.

They may not understand the appeal of what we do, but if they dismiss you they are shallow and not worthy of you spending time with them.

Dating, women and the "hobby"?

I met my wife online. At the time I was actually searching for a motorbike and just got distracted.

Ah well...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember reading years ago about KGB 'honey traps' for western visitors to Moscow in cold war days.  Whilst I don't want the cold war back, one can only hope they'll try something like that here...

Of course, perhaps they already have; my squeeze originated from an Eastern Bloc country and was brought up under a communist regime.  I have to say I am a willing victim!

Did you get the motorbike?

(tempted to make bike joke but decided not to)

No, sadly, but I did end up with two kids and a mortgage...

<sigh>

Viz often extract the urine from rail enthusiasts and it is obvious that whoever writes their stuff on trains is a rail enthusiast as they often include clever touches that only a rail enthusiast would notice.

Viz, at times, can approach the levels of Mad Magazine at its best

post-10066-0-12858700-1516821010_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Before she became Mrs NB and co-habited, her bedroom (apparently.....) overlooked the railway line that ran right through her Dad's farmland.

We bought a house about 1/2mile away from the farm with this view as our garden fence. 

post-408-0-42538200-1516836065_thumb.jpg

With no objection to the location.

Sorted!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

Anyone I shown picture or invited of my 'shed'  at work people have shown a healthy interest and not a comment and toys etc. Mind you it does have  RC boats and Planes  in the shed too!

Still Married to the same lady I met in 97 so she is used to me now.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'll say only one thing:

I've lost a lot of friends by admitting to being a railway enthusiast.

I had a reasonable circle of friends and none of them ever did that.

Most friends were into something, for example Heavy Metal so railways were fine.

But then I have been front row at one gig where the band were singing about LMS Princess class locos.

Anyone guess the band and song?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Magnum. 'Princess Alice' & the Broken Arrow, but they're not heavy metal more melodic rock it's called these days. Often played in my workshop I admit, much scorned by Mrs Dava.

Dava

The Ex Mrs Lofty hated my models.

Often got poked with the derisory "oh, are you playing with your trains again ?" line.

Funny now we've split she is VERY interested and won't allow me access (though legally she has too but thats another story) because she wants them valued as she wants half the value!

Money grubbing <censored> .

• RMweb Gold

Often got poked with the derisory "oh, are you playing with your trains again ?" line.

Funny now we've split she is VERY interested and won't allow me access (though legally she has too but thats another story) because she wants them valued as she wants half the value!

Without taking this too far OT I had similar many years ago. There was a perception that I had spent loads on the hobby so I offered to get a valuation so long as any valuations extended to everything. Needless to say she agreed but soon changed her mind when it revealed her spending was some 8X what mine was. I would say that after that episode it calmed down and became a bit more bearable.

10 years ago this year, my ex sent me a euphemistic "Dear John" email whilst I was away at sea. I managed to get off 4 days later; she'd done a runner when she realised I was coming home (Yes, she thought I'd do my full tour of duty & then come home...). Some of my stuff had already disappeared; for weeks I kept getting phone alls from people wanting to call round to value my collection...

For the record, she got very little out of me in cash or goods...but not without her and her solicitor trying - and failing - to break me...

• Like 1