Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

• RMweb Gold

I freely admit that one of the key attractions of the club I ended up joining, was the sub-group of (mostly) retired and semi-retired, widely travelled railwaymen and oil terminal personnel (who are teaching me to lay track, which I find very absorbing)

There is also one woman member, and her teenage son, who is being coached as an exhibition layout operator. They seem to fit right in, which is probably the mark of a good club.

Regarding ethnicities and cultures, I’ve met various modellers, model-makers and model engineers in my travels. I had a model locomotive on my desk occasionally, which attracted a lot of attention - the electrical engineers even rigged a power supply for it, by some sparkies’ trick or other. But, it has to be recognised that a hobby like this comes down to available space and disposable income, which in a lot of places and cultures, simply aren’t available. There’s also the slightly tricky point that many Muslims regard representational art as haram, unacceptable. Engineering models are fine, because they come under the same logic as pets being haram, while hunting or working dogs are permitted, but not representational models for pleasure or amusement. So I would only do this in certain places.

I had not considered modelling for pleasure as coming under the definition of Haram; good point.  But I doubt most Muslims, certainly not the ones I know who are admittedly those that go to pubs except in Ramadan, would let that stop them modelling if they wanted to; they just don't want to!  

One of my Muslim chums is from Algeria, a very hot and dry country, where beer is commonly drunk as it is, or was in his day, safer than water.  It is alchohol and forbidden, but, as he says, it is considered that, in desert countries, 'Allah is reasonable'.  He is a man of my age, and while I was playing football with jumpers for goal posts over the park, he was chucking molotov cocktails at French tanks.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

I had not considered modelling for pleasure as coming under the definition of Haram; good point. But I doubt most Muslims, certainly not the ones I know who are admittedly those that go to pubs except in Ramadan, would let that stop them modelling if they wanted to; they just don't want to!

One of my Muslim chums is from Algeria, a very hot and dry country, where beer is commonly drunk as it is, or was in his day, safer than water. It is alchohol and forbidden, but, as he says, it is considered that, in desert countries, 'Allah is reasonable'. He is a man of my age, and while I was playing football with jumpers for goal posts over the park, he was chucking molotov cocktails at French tanks.

Quite so. The cultural differences are insuperable; they mostly, simply aren’t interested, and care little or nothing for what the childish infidels think or do. The “Haram” business only really arises in the context of being careful not to give offence to someone who will complain and so, make my life difficult.

I know a Straits Chinese who makes exquisite Engineering models from CAD drawings but has no interest in anything he isn’t being paid for. He commands considerable respect from his peers, miniatures being a well-established art form among them, but it is as a professional.

Edited by rockershovel

Please, explain...

I will be most interested to see you dig your way out of this one should any woman come across this suicidal comment.  It is bad enough to start with, but you have really pushed the boundaries with 'quite', and 'albeit'.  I used to do this sort of thing a lot, and learned the hard way!

I am quite used to pushing boundaries. I have the bruises to show for it. Old Dudders bails me out from time to time..... The current Mrs Storey does not read my drivel, which would be the only defence necessary, in that finding any other woman attractive in any way whatsoever, would be a capital offence. :O

But to clarify, I am merely trying to point out a difference between those of us in the more mature years who sensibly understand that mere girlies (i.e. anyone under perhaps 40) would consider our opinions akin to a dirty old man, and those that do not understand that, e.g. Donald Trump etc. N'est-ce pas?

• Like 5

I am quite used to pushing boundaries. I have the bruises to show for it. Old Dudders bails me out from time to time..... The current Mrs Storey does not read my drivel, which would be the only defence necessary, in that finding any other woman attractive in any way whatsoever, would be a capital offence. :O

But to clarify, I am merely trying to point out a difference between those of us in the more mature years who sensibly understand that mere girlies (i.e. anyone under perhaps 40) would consider our opinions akin to a dirty old man, and those that do not understand that, e.g. Donald Trump etc. N'est-ce pas?

I’ve always considered it to be one of life’s blessings, that I’ve remained active (if scarcely “athletic”) into my early sixties and as a side effect, still able to appreciate women who take a similar view of life. Life in various heavy engineering disciplines, with its attendant travel and absences, has offered a panoramic view of the folly of believing that younger women are interested in your infinite wisdom and sagacity.. Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 3

I’ve always considered it to be one of life’s blessings, that I’ve remained active (if scarcely “athletic”) into my early sixties and as a side effect, still able to appreciate women who take a similar view of life. Life in various heavy engineering disciplines, with its attendant travel and absences, has offered a panoramic view of the folly of believing that younger women are interested in your infinite wisdom and sagacity..

As someone who also travels extensively as part of my work, I would agree totally with rockershovels comments. In all the hotel bars I have propped up I am yet to engage in conversation with any member of he opposite sex, never mind that conversation leading to other things.  My wife watched George Clooney in the DVD "Up in the Air" the story of a travelling executive and I was grilled about liaisons in hotel bars, took a lot of persuading that it was only Hollywood.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I met a smashing girl at the bar. We got on really well. Then, she invited me home. Corrr!

In through the front door, where she promised me lots of 'naughties, when I got undressed. Corrr!

I stripped off, and she turned the room lights on. There, was a skinny emaciated child, not very old.

"There!" shouted the mother" That's what you'll look like, if you don't eat your greens!".

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

As someone who also travels extensively as part of my work, I would agree totally with rockershovels comments. In all the hotel bars I have propped up I am yet to engage in conversation with any member of he opposite sex, never mind that conversation leading to other things.  My wife watched George Clooney in the DVD "Up in the Air" the story of a travelling executive and I was grilled about liaisons in hotel bars, took a lot of persuading that it was only Hollywood.

Jim

This is a problem in many arab countries, they see western films and the western news. Then they think, every girl in the west will leap into bed at the first chance, and that all our streets are covered in death and destruction. Thre own news shows Kings, heiks / presidents opening hospitals and nothing ever going wrong in their country.

• RMweb Premium

This is a problem in many arab countries, they see western films and the western news. Then they think, every girl in the west will leap into bed at the first chance, and that all our streets are covered in death and destruction. Thre own news shows Kings, heiks / presidents opening hospitals and nothing ever going wrong in their country.

Clearly they've never seen "Death of a Princess"... 

I met a smashing girl at the bar. We got on really well. Then, she invited me home. Corrr!In through the front door, where she promised me lots of 'naughties, when I got undressed. Corrr!I stripped off, and she turned the room lights on. There, was a skinny emaciated child, not very old."There!" shouted the mother" That's what you'll look like, if you don't eat your greens!".Ian.

Do not, repeat, DO NOT, sniff superglue !

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wouldn't it be nice to meet soneone who shares the same hobby as you?

But what if the person modelled in P4 rather than 00 and preferred green engines with copper caps to proper red ones.   I see trouble ahead.

Jamie

• Like 1

But what if the person modelled in P4 rather than 00 and preferred green engines with copper caps to proper red ones.   I see trouble ahead.

Jamie

Gawd - can you imagine the divorce proceedings, the first party demands custody of all locomotives with numbers from 0 to 9999 (with the exception of those prefixed "D"), the second party shall have custody of all locomotives numbered 10000 and upwards, rolling stock shall be pooled and mutual access permitted at weekends but under third party supervision etc etc.......

• RMweb Premium

Gawd - can you imagine the divorce proceedings, the first party demands custody of all locomotives with numbers from 0 to 9999 (with the exception of those prefixed "D"), the second party shall have custody of all locomotives numbered 10000 and upwards, rolling stock shall be pooled and mutual access permitted at weekends but under third party supervision etc etc.......

It was more the grounds for the divorce that I was thinking of.    

Mlud I couldn't live with (XXX) anymore as they insisted that everything had to be exactly 2.34mm broader.......

Judge.    Have you tried any sort of compromise arrangement.

Mlud my client suggested that they compromise at an increase of 1.5mm but when that was suggested the teddy's were all thrown out of the pram.

Jamie

It was more the grounds for the divorce that I was thinking of.    

Mlud I couldn't live with (XXX) anymore as they insisted that everything had to be exactly 2.34mm broader.......

Judge.    Have you tried any sort of compromise arrangement.

Mlud my client suggested that they compromise at an increase of 1.5mm but when that was suggested the teddy's were all thrown out of the pram.

Jamie

EM?

B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not EM unless this is a very old story, EM is and has been for a long time, 1.7mm wider....

Jim

I too saw that film and of late have taken to hanging around in hotel bars. Only posh upmarket ones of course.

Just recently in the travel lodge in Newcastle I met a large group of girls who were quite happy to talk to me and happily accepted the round of Cava with double Brandy chasers I bought them. In fact they accepted several rounds from me. After about ten minutes things were going so well I thought I might chance a move, so I said;

" I say girl's do any of you fancy coming down to Shipley where I live sometime? I could take you down to my cellar and show you my model railway."

To my surprise all the girls with whom I felt I had been getting on with so well, suddenly drank their drinks down in one and almost ran out of the hotel, indeed some of them didn't even finish their drinks.

I know!  In hindsight I now realise I should never of mentioned I live in Shipley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It may have been the cellar. Mrs Dava has a fear of cellars, having fallen into one as a girl. We can't have a house with a basement .

Dava

• Like 2

My missus claims not to like trains in any way.

The fact that trains pay her rent every month and have done for the last four years, seems to go completely unnoticed.

• Like 2