Engine Shed Roof Vents of the long, louvred kind

BRealistic

I'm scratch building a single road engine shed and am currently building a length of louvred vents that will sit along part of the ridge... but I'm having difficulty finding out exactly how they should be 'integrated' into the roof structure. I want to try and get all the 'weatherings' right... flashings etc... but can I find a clear enough photo?? Well, the answer is no, only 'distant' ones that won't enlarge clearly... after what feels like hours of internet searching.

I'd really like to avoid 'best guessing', so if anyone knows of, or better still has, such a photo, I'd be chuffed to bits if they could let me know!

I guess I must have hit upon a gap in the 'knowledge base'. Not surprising I suppose... hardly the sort of feature you might choose to photograph close up. Anyway, thanks to those who had a read... I'll be off now to do a bit of 'best guessing'!

What build year, what company/grouping. steam or diesel???

A little more information would help to locate.

I can see some built and finished in 2010, some GW ones running the full ridge top some early BR ones with short chimmney style vent stacks give us a clue Alan.

Regards

PS here's a site that you may find interesting. There is something about roof vent structures about 1/3 down page and near the page bottom.

http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/12-linind/building.htm

After my second post I spent half the evening putting together the 'louvre' unit (having previously made all the bits that go into it), and decided to costruct it on a 'false' bit of roof which will sit on the main roof. Having seen how it's come together, I think I now have a pretty good idea of how I can weather it (with soakers and flashings) in a convincing way (using rizzla papers, I think). I'll post a couple of photos in the morning of the 'work in progress'... which should hopefully 'explain all'.

In the meantime, though, I'd really like to express my sincere thanks to you, Kenton... and indeed Barnaby for your late night call! And Gordon, of course, for your interest. The shed is a steam one, intended to look at home down my neck of the woods about 50 years past... when I was in my mid teens! I've based it on the remnants of buildings that survive at Newton Abbot. I think they were more 'works' than shed, but the design appealed.

Cheers for now

Here's the photo. The Louvre unit is just 'floating' on the roof (ie not stuck down yet), and so too the main roof. Lots still to do, but it seems to be coming along nicely. The walls, by the way, are 'scribed' DAS clay.

post-11262-0-09848600-1358074875_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Here's the photo. The Louvre unit is just 'floating' on the roof (ie not stuck down yet), and so too the main roof. Lots still to do, but it seems to be coming along nicely. The walls, by the way, are 'scribed' DAS clay.

attachicon.gif2013 Jan 001a.jpg

I've only just stumbled across this thread but can you get a copy of Great Western Engine Sheds 1947 by E Lyons OPC 902888161

It has few drawings and photos of various sheds in it.

Thanks Robin. One to look out for at the next Newton Toy and Train Fair... which I believe is on the 27th. I have a copy of GW Steam On Shed, and need all the info I can gather to recreate an appropriate setting. By the way, how did you create those platform facings for Brent? Do like them, and their colouring.

• RMweb Gold

By the way, how did you create those platform facings for Brent? Do like them, and their colouring.

Quite easy really. :imsohappy: I used the excellent platform castings from Townstreet,see link, although not on website they will be in their catalogue.Very similar to Linka products you glue them with pva in sections.What I love about them is the way they take paint nicely.I used enamels and picked out various stones in different shades.

As you've looked at my layout thread you'll see what I mean and the joins are'nt noticeable to my eyes. acute.gif

http://www.townstreetuk.co.uk/

Their website shows an engine shed with a louvre roof !

Ah, I was mistaken. I was not expecting those louvers but the standard 1920's onwards typical LMS roof style. (quite different)

Quite easy really. :imsohappy: I used the excellent platform castings from Townstreet,see link, although not on website they will be in their catalogue.Very similar to Linka products you glue them with pva in sections.What I love about them is the way they take paint nicely.I used enamels and picked out various stones in different shades.

As you've looked at my layout thread you'll see what I mean and the joins are'nt noticeable to my eyes. :acute:

http://www.townstreetuk.co.uk/

Their website shows an engine shed with a louvre roof !

As Eric said to Ernie, I can't see the join either! I actually thought it was scratch-built in Das or some other clay. I'm considering using bog-standard tester pot emulsions, but not sure yet!

Saw the Shed on the Townstreet site... but I prefer mine!!!!!!

Sorry for not being more specfic to start with, Kenton. Hope I didn't waste too much of your time... but I'm wondering, now, what the LMS type louvres looked like! Much shallower?

Good heavens, John... in my own back yard!! Compared to the photos you took just a couple of years ago,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40075-ashburton-in-decay/

the louvres seem to be deteriorating fast, so I think I will pop out and catch them before they disappear or get 'restored' in some inappropriate manner! (Regrettably the building isn't listed). Tuesday's the next decent day, weather-wise. Perhaps I could add them to your 'asburton in decay' post.

By all means. I read your post last night but only today remembered Ashburton in Decay. Then found that none of mine showed the louvres. Last chance was Streetview. I have one from a similar angle (not posted) but the Streetview cam is higher than me walking and shooting.

Think you'll need a set of steps to get the angle to capture them, though.

Archived