Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Sorry Ian, but I have to!

Hi Anthony, I am glad that you enjoy the thread about my silly project!

BigT, Thanks. Hopefully I can make some decent progress over the next few months.

Not much progress to show at the moment, nine of the inspection platforms have been glued to their bases leaving two to go, which will hopefully be done this week. Then they can all be given a coat of grey primer.

I will try and take some photos later in the week showing the pits on their bases and in position.

Banger Blue Boxenby

Over the past few days I have been looking through some Motive Power Monthly magazines and came across several photos of Peaks and banger blue traction. Whilst I am a massive Type-5 fan I am quite partial to some older traction so out came the BR blue 37 and 45.

Although the inside is still under construction and a mess I did quite like seeing the two of them on the pits;

IMG_1810s.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Alex,

Nice to see a bit of blue on shed, looks like you found yourself a Peak. I remember you said you were looking.

What one do you think you will do?

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Lee, it is nice to be back and doing some modelling. Problem is I keep looking at BR blue 31s, 37s and 47s! Oh and more Peaks......

Andy, I suppose it was only a matter of time! Although I am still after some Large Logo and Original Railfreight locos......

Wow, many thanks for the link Ian that is a superb video and very helpful. Some interesting parts laying around on the inspection platforms including some class 56 and 58 exhausts! Was that a traction motor in one of the pits in front of a 58? It would be nice to have some of those different bits and bobs modelled and lying around the shed.

I do like the way the shed looks dirty inside.....

Hi Peter, as you know I am a big fan of 45141 Zephyr, yours is a beast! But not sure about the mods required to change it into a 45/1. I know the plates on the side need removing and to be honest not sure that I can really be doing with that and then repainting etc. I am quite tempted to renumber it to 45052 Nimrod as this one stayed in traffic until June 1988 so would be perfect. Any thoughts?

Hi Alex,

Yes I always liked 45141, it was one of the last Peaks I saw in service back in 1988. Funnily enough 45052 was one of the last 45/0s I saw. It was on the same day as 141, I had gone out to Bedford the view the binliner that used to run round at Bedford station, it was often a Peak but not that day. My trip out to Bedford wasn't wasted as 45052 was park up by the old loco shed so I managed to get a few pics. If I can get my scanner to work I will post up the pic.

Something else you may not know is before 052 was named Nimrod it was called Satan, but not for long I think there were complaints.

Ok as for doing your model, a 45/0 will be less work as you can leave the plated up steps, you don't have to do the roof mod and you don't have to fit a headlight on the front. I think your model has the boiler fillers plated over but you might have to fill the two holes either side at the bottom of the body they are only about 1mm round. I think they were sand box filling points that were removed by the 80s.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info on 45052, think I will model it as Nimrod don’t want any complaints!

Doesn’t sound too daunting…but when I eventually do get round to working on it I will seek your advice and help if that is okay with you.

All the inspection platforms have now been glued down on to their bases, next the join lines need to be filled in and then they can all be sprayed with grey primer. I am planning to start on this over the weekend.

The main platform to the rear of the shed which connects all the inspection platforms to the offices and stores etc. needs attention next, which includes the roof support girders.

Here are a few photos showing progress, you can see the roof support girders at the rear that need addressing but you can get a feel for how it should look;

IMG_1815s.jpg

IMG_1823s.jpg

IMG_1821s.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Alex,

With the platforms in place it somehow makes the scale of the whole thing seem much larger - You can almost smell the warm oil and diesel wafting out from the screen! It just needs to be filled with Peaks, Choppers and RFG Grids.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks David, hopefully next weekend I will be able to post some more photos of progress.

Thanks Anthony, I am beginning to feel that it is coming on now. Hopefully once the platforms are painted and weathered and the outside walls of the inspection pits have been given similar treatment then it should really start to look like a depot. Then get the floor down and I will be pleased with progress.

Thanks Chris, I am really looking forward to seeing that too! Especially some Grid action......

Well I have managed to do some more work on the inspection platforms and in particular filling in the gaps between the base and platform bottom. Apart from one, they are all now ready to be painted. Whilst at Halfords earlier I picked up a few cans of grey plastic primer in preparation for spraying all the platforms next weekend. I am looking forward to seeing how the painted platforms will look inside the shed.

As the weather was nice today I took full advantage and sprayed the inspection platforms with Halfords grey primer. Hopefully a top coat of grey can be applied at some point over the weekend, once I decide which grey paint to use!

This evening the inspection pits were put back on the board and a few photos taken to see how it looks. Once glued down in position they should all be nice and level but as they have just been put on the board some are slightly higher at the ends.

Here are some photos to show progress;

IMG_1833s.jpg

IMG_1846s.jpg

IMG_1835s.jpg

IMG_1842s.jpg

IMG_1845s.jpg

IMG_1837s.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Ian, unfortunately the only sound fitted loco I have is an EWS class 60! Would love a couple of sound fitted 20s, 31s, 37s, 45s, 47s, 56s, and 58s. That would be nice!

Thanks Mark, it certainly does make a big difference having locos sat inside the shed and now that the inspection platforms have been painted getting rid of the white that also changes the look. Problem is I keep thinking about what else is required, like the lighting and relevant metal work, the overhead cranes, the list just seems to keep getting longer……

Thanks David.

Today I had planned to get the top coat of paint on the inspection platforms but the weather had other ideas! Further research on the platforms has got me thinking about the painted lines, there are the white lines on the edges and yellow lines in the middle. Not sure whether to get some rub down transfers done for both but will have a think before making a final decision.

Due to the rain I decided to make a start on weathering the outside walls of the inspection pits and it is amazing what a difference a couple of washes of weathered black can make to the appearance. Cannot believe I spent hours getting the outside walls looking good only to now make them look dirty!

Before I took the pits out I decided to take a few more photos. First a Peak on shed;

IMG_1851s.jpg

IMG_1848s.jpg

Thornaby’s finest make a visit;

IMG_1857s.jpg

IMG_1856s.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Chris, I will try and take a few more photos this weekend.

How much would I like to go back to that period?!!.........I have a list of locos on shed from our visit back in 1988, quality!

You are right Ian, unfortunately I only have one! I was hoping that Bachmann were going to release a 45/1 in blue this year but alas not! Fingers crossed for next year...

Thanks for posting the photo, how superb do those Peaks look inside the depot. I am planning to have the floor of my shed nice and dirty!

Hi Neil, to be honest I have pondered that question for a long time and am still none the wiser, although it would be a massive task to fit lighting to the shed. My thoughts are to model the lighting that was installed around the early 90s as opposed to the strip lighting, this would be purely for show and not working. But hey that is quite far off now so can think about it a bit more, needless to say I may change my mind!

I do love seeing the inside filled with locos as it gives you an idea of how the shed should look, still heavily short of stock though!........I do like seeing locos from the late 80s sat inside!

As the weather has been a bit drier over the past couple of days, in between showers! This has .provided a window of opportunity to get the inspection platforms sprayed with a top coat. They have now been given a couple of coats of BR Rail Grey. Next I need to add the white line edging and yellow lines in the middle of the platform. Thanks to Mark 37 on this site, as he might just have given me a solution to the white and yellow lining problem . Mark kindly posted this link on the Weathering, Painting and Transfers board ;

http://www.alwayshob...0$35-$9-5mm.ice I am going to give this a try. Thanks again Mark.

I have ordered a few more jars of Railmatch weathered black and hope to get the weathering of the outer walls of the inspection pits finished later in the week.

Grimleygrid,

I've used this stuff for years on 1:72 & 1:96 scale warships for landing deck markings, water line, weapons safety markings, chevrons ( i hope thats the correct spelling)? I can't see any reason it won't work here in 1:76.

Try not to pull it too tight, although I'm sure you new that. EDIT LINE- I usually peel back just enough for the job to check its been cut properly if not a scalpel soon sorts anything out.

Keep us update on how it works for you.

Best regards,

Mark

Edited by Mark 37