Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Sorry Alex but I have nothing constructive to say about your latest photos other than......stunning, stunning stunning.

I just picked up a Hornby Coal Sector 58 from the model shop, secondhand and covered in green overspray (the mind boggles) but a bargain at £20 ! Having had a closer look back home, getting it to look anything like realistic is going to be quite a challenge ! I'll keep you posted !

I've also found an interesting colour for the outside panelling. Looking at several prototype photos it certainly doesn't look like a standard Halfords Primer Grey job. I've not sprayed anything yet but the colour I found is Ford Dove Grey from Halfords and looking at the lid colour I might be onto a winner. Had you had any thoughts on outside colour ?

Many thanks Porkie, David, Scott, Jon, Class66 and Mark for your kind comments.

Hi Jon, looking at different photos the outside has certainly varied from a light grey to a much darker grey. Although as yet I have not decided on the actual colour to use my plan is to model it like the photos shown below;

http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/60071-totond.htm

Toton Depot.

56049 faces the future at Toton

Hope that helps.

• RMweb Gold

Never ceases to amaze me when I look at your work on this topic -that is one hell of a shed !!!!

Rolling stock looks great too - especially when grubbed up !!

Am building a good collection of 58s and Large Logo 56s myself - and plan to do a depot diorama as they dont fit in with my scottish region layout - but I love them locos so much !!!!!

Keep up the good work and more ... soon !!!

Ben

That last pic of the depot is great, I thought it was real until I looked at the locos. I've always thought the 58 a bit "toy-like" with all it's moulded pipework.

I'd like to see the depot with some weathered and upgraded locos......

Hi Peter, thanks I am pleased with them. That is the whole fleet, at the present time there will be a lot of MGR services being cancelled......I will certainly need quite a few more 58s! As I like them in Original Railfreight the majority will be in that livery but some TG ones too. Still it will be a while before I need to worry about that and start running trains, although hopefully this time next year......

Thanks Ben, yes all my 80s/90s stock are fresh out of the box and require weathering. Can’t wait to see them all dirty!

I look forward to seeing your depot diorama.

I am with you on Type-5 power, Grids, 58s and 60s....well that is right up my street! I am hoping Hornby might deliver a Large Logo Grid next year and a Romanian Original Railfreight example as well......I wonder if Heljan will release a few more 58s or if that is it for their model? Hope not.

Thanks JeffP, you are right the locos need to be dirty! Oh and the depot floor needs putting down as well which should make a big difference.

Hi Ian, wow that is good to hear, thanks for the comment. I am trying to create something that resembles the inside of a TMD although this is somewhat limited by my modelling skills!

Thanks Jamie, the main board which houses the depot shed is approximately 1.2m long by 1.5m wide. I have only been working on this board so far.

Thanks Class66, I am pleased with it so far although after nearly three years building it I would just like to start playing trains!

Thanks Blueeighties.

Over the weekend I managed to spray the metal strips with grey primer and aluminium. Later in the week I am hoping to weather them to have a more rusty/dirty/grimy look before finally getting them added to the shed.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week on my way into work I made the decision to remake three of the metal strips as they were not up to scratch, even though this meant more work I was relieved………The strips for roads 1 to 4 and 5 to 12 have now been completed.

I am now awaiting materials to finish making the metal strips for roads 13, 14 and 15 which will hopefully be done in the next couple of days.

Yesterday whilst at the local model shop getting some bits for my elder sons’ layout I purchased two of these for inside the shed;

7b40ca69320f4a605544131ef6ebc6b2.jpg

These are perfect and once weathered will hopefully resemble the one seen in this photo;

7757227402_ce522d17f9.jpg

Toton Depot. by Valiantoz, on Flickr

Yesterday afternoon I spent some time helping my son lay track on his layout, here are some photos showing progress so far;

3a0150d52e821f2334310b9edf2fef1f.jpg

719a03e8014cdf1a2e395472045dff78.jpg

914bb13e45765df62aa53b9af35db394.jpg

This morning he wired up the track in the cement works and has been running some trains, cannot believe the first train to arrive was a class 66…….he could at least have used a 60!

Never the less he has done a very good job building the cement works and wiring up the track, well done son!

I now know who will be sorting out the wiring on Boxenby……….

• Like 12

Pretty decent model of a cement works. I live about 15 miles from one on the banks of the River Humber at South Ferriby.

Allan Downes once built a model based on it.

Now your son needs to take out shares in white-ish grey paint, LOL

Thanks Ess1uk, my son has worked very hard on the cement works so hopefully when finished it will be a nice little layout.

Thanks David, as I keep saying progress albeit slowly!

Hi Jeff, I keep telling him to look on the Internet at real cement works for inspiration so will mention South Ferriby to him, thanks.

Indeed or should that be me?!!!

With regards to the metal strips I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have been working on these for weeks now, although it seems much longer so I hope it has been worth it.......I am now ready to move on to something else......

All of the metal strips have been sprayed matt black, including the ones for the raised roof section and hopefully over the weekend I can give them some washes of rust, dirt and grime. Then they can be attached to the shed.......I am really looking forward to seeing that!

Then I can make a start on getting the lights (both working and dummy) added to the inspection pits and then get them glued in their final position.

Thanks Jeff, we have been looking at photos of South Ferriby for inspiration and ideas. I have just started a thread called Southwich which will contain more information about the layout.

Hi Peter, I have just started one as my son has been on at me to do it!

I hope not for his sake.........

Over the past few days I have managed to carry out some work on the metal strips and finally I think we are there.......

Many an hour has been spend pondering, deliberating and changing my mind as to the best way to approach getting the final look of these metal strips and to get it right. Even the other day I did even wonder about leaving them matt black as not to ruin or spool them! But I took the plunge and started to give them a rusty look on Saturday and finished them off yesterday. Several washes of browns were applied in order to get a nice rusty look and I have to say that the look is just what I was hoping to achieve. I am pleased, well worth the time and effort.

Here are the strips;

Firstly the ones for roads 1 to 12

S2.jpg

These are for roads 13 to 15

S3.jpg

Now to leave them for a few days to harden and hopefully get them attached to the shed at the weekend. Phew......nearly there!

I am looking forward to seeing how they look in position. With some 20s, 56s and 58s underneath.....

I'm still waiting for you to make just one of something, Alex, I'm still waiting for you to make less than 20 of something, Alex. It's got to happen sooner or later. :D Looking good though. Interesting to see those fork-lifts. Might be a possibility for Waverley West's new depot.

I second Peter's suggestion for a thread on your son's layout. It's definitely looking promising. He's obviously a chip off the old block.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, Me too! In fact I am still waiting till I don't have to make one of anything!!....

I am really pleased with the forklift trucks, once given a fresh coat of yellow and then weathered should be just the job.

Well after 5 hours working on the shed with my Father this afteroon the metal strips have been added to the inside of the depot (roads 1 to 12) and I have to say it has been worth every second spent on them. Despite the time spent on this little project, the frustration and waning enthusiasm towards the end, I am really pleased that I persevered with it. I certainly made the right decision to spend time and effort painting them rusty colour as the contrast with the dark grey roof trusses and the black crane running rails looks really good.

At last I can see some progress!......

Tomorrow I am hoping to get the strips added above roads 13 to 15, this is a much easier job than today's!

Will try and take some photos tomorrow afternoon to show how it is looking.

• Like 1