Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Nice job you've made there.

Just you wait until it's painted. I've seen the construction photos of ours and it really came to life with a dab of paint - yours looks very good even without it.

Thanks Neil. Apart from the brass bits and bobs it is indeed made from plasticard and plastic strip and shape. I had to keep remembering to do the same to both as I went along to make sure they were the same, well as near as I could get them!

Thanks Connor, not sure about it venturing out though!

Thanks Flood, if it turns out half as good as the one on Aberdeen Kirkhill then I will be very happy. I might try and give it a coat of primer at the weekend, hopefully it should then start to look a bit more like it!

Over the past couple of days I have made a bit more progress. First of all I reduced the wall height at each end in the centre ready for the rails to sit and then this evening I started working on the supports that will carry the rails.

A quick photo showing how it is looking:

IMG_4950s.jpg

• Like 6

A bit more progress has been made on the pieces which support the rails. I was not overly happy with the first version as it appeared they were slightly too short so I decided to make some new ones. These have now been finished with cross pieces added and are ready for the chequered plate to be added to the top between the rails.

My next job is to add the support girders.

Last night the lathe pit, lathe and track/rail were put in position to see how it will look and I am quite pleased. Funny as once the track is in position you can’t really see much!

Will try and take a quick photo later.

I remember seeing this topic about a year or so ago, when you first started. At the time I thought you must be bonkers! :O

As the months rolled by I wanted to see how (if?) you were getting on, but as I thought the layout was actually called Toton I was unable to find it.

Just today I happened to stumble over it by change and am delighted to see that you're making progress. It looks awesom. Very inspirational stuff. Well done. B)

Blimey mate that wheel lathe is ace!

I don't recall ever seeing anyone attempt one before!

Its really coming along, and can't wait to see a filthy old 56 having its wheelsets turned! Dreadful!!

Keep up the good work!

T

Blimey mate that wheel lathe is ace!

I don't recall ever seeing anyone attempt one before!

Hi,

I agree with the first statement, stunning work, just got to get the smell of the metal fillings! :stink: :stink:

Big T, have you seen the one on the Aberdeen Kirkhill thread and layout on here, it's very good as well!

Simon

Hi Alex !

I see the medication hasnt kicked in yet !! lol

Seriously though, just caught up on 15 or so pages and this mad idea just gets better and better. As stated before, the representation of the wheel lathe and care taken with details such as the internal depot offices will all come together to make it king of the TMDs.

I look forward to the day I can photograph locos ticking over just outside, it will bring back many happy memories bunking round the place on a Sunday afternoon.

Keep up the super work........

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments.

Vac_Basher, I often think I must be bonkers!! Thanks I am glad that you like the progress that has been made so far.

Thanks BigT. I am pleased with how the wheel lathe looks and hopefully once sprayed green it should look better. Have a look at the excellent Aberdeen Kirkhill thread; they have a superb wheel lathe on their layout. I agree a nice Original Railfreight battered Romanian example sat on the wheel lathe, hopefully the door to that road will be up otherwise you won’t be able to see anything!!

Thanks Simon, I will also need to add the yellow conveyor belt to take away the swarf.

Hi Jon, not as yet! Thanks I am glad you enjoyed reading through the 15 pages. When it is finally finished, (I have no idea when that will be!!) you are more than welcome to come and take some photos. Be prepared for a serious lack of 66s though!

This evening I had planned to do a bit more work on the track for the wheel lathe road but due to a new arrival on shed modelling went out of the window. Sulzer power has finally arrived at Boxenby!

I have been patiently waiting to get my hands on one of these machines for quite some time and have to say that I am delighted with the latest arrival. What a superb model. Although I only really saw them for a few years before withdrawal I still really liked the 45s.

IMG_1626s.jpg

This will eventually become 45141 Zephyr. Here are a few more photos of it on shed:

IMG_1632s.jpg

IMG_1632s2.jpg

IMG_1633s.jpg

IMG_1640s.jpg

Problem is I now want a few more….come on Bachmann; can we please have a 45/1 with sealed beam front next year!

• Like 5

Hi,

I agree with the first statement, stunning work, just got to get the smell of the metal fillings! :stink: :stink:

Big T, have you seen the one on the Aberdeen Kirkhill thread and layout on here, it's very good as well!

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have seen the layout but must have missed the lathe! doh!

Alex - You have definately captured the true essence of mid 80's freight in the East Midlands - 20's 45's, 56's & 58's.

Top job.

Hi Alex,

That wheel lathe is a very fine piece of modelling and something I have never seen before - I know where to send my 60's now when they suffer wheel flats form all the heavy braking on the WHL!

That 45 looks quite at home and once you have turned it into a well worn and faded banger blue machine it will look superb.

Keep up the good work and the madness it really makes it!

Thanks,

Mark

LordHinton; she is a beast! Very nice model indeed.

Hi Ian, from that well known auction site. At last I have one!

Thanks BigT, I just need to get the depot finished and locos weathered. Not too much to do then! Bet you have a 45 in your possession very soon!

Thanks Peter, I am hoping to get the wheel lathe sprayed with a couple of coats of grey primer this weekend, then it should start to look a bit better. Been a bit busy so haven’t had a chance yet.

I am delighted with the Peak, as you know I have been after one for quite a while. Lovely model, but as you say want a few more now! Not being greedy but another four would do!

The day we first visited Toton I saw 45104 at Derby before on our journey up there and another one (cannot remember which one) afterwards at Long Eaton passing through on a Parcels, quality!

Good work Jon, I look forward to seeing her weathered!

Thanks Mark, anytime your locos have wheel flats just send them down. They will be well looked after!!!

I find it hard at times not to start weathering my 80s stock but I know that if I do then work will grind to a halt on the depot which would be silly. I must remain focussed on the layout first. It is hard though, especially when I see so many nicely weathered locos on this site!

Thanks Arnie, every time I saw your Peak collection it made me want one even more!

Very pleased to finally have one on shed.

A bit more progress on the wheel lathe road; last night I glued on the rail supports and also filled in the pit on the inspection pit. In between the rails will then be filled in with plasticard to bring the floor up to the same height as the rails. This week I bought some chequer plate for the support rail sections, this will cover the gap between the two rails.

A couple of photos showing progress:

IMG_4953s.jpg

IMG_4956s.jpg

Next job is to get the support girders on and then the plasticard/chequer plate in between the rails.

• Like 1

A bit more progress this afternoon, I have added the chequered plate and finished covering the inspection pits. The cabinets for the electrical equipment which sit along side the wheel lathe have been found and hopefully both will be primed tomorrow. Once the support girders have been added they too will be sprayed.

A few photos:

866V6576s.jpg

866V6577s.jpg

866V6579s.jpg

• Like 1

... Not seen something like that tackled on a depot layout before.

I give up!

Anyway, as I said before, you've done a great job there Grimley. (Go on, slap some paint on, you know you want to!!!)

• Like 2

I give up!

Anyway, as I said before, you've done a great job there Grimley. (Go on, slap some paint on, you know you want to!!!)

cue embarassed smiley :blush:

I've just been reading back through the Aberdeen Kirkhill thread and have just seen the section on the wheel lathe.

Apologies to flood.

Cheers,

Thanks Wayne, as I mentioned before the excellent Aberdeen Kirkhill has one and was a big inspiration for me to try and tackle mine. Glad that you have found it now on their thread.

Thanks Flood, it now has a coat of grey primer and hopefully in the next couple of days will be green!

Thanks Neil, it certainly looks better now it is not just plain white plastic! Hopefully it will look more like a wheel lathe once green.

This afternoon I have added the support girders and gave the wheel lathe and track a coat of grey primer:

866V6588s.jpg

866V6592s.jpg

866V6590s.jpg

866V6593s.jpg

This is the view looking in from the front of the wheel lathe road:

MU5C0964s.jpg

• Like 4