Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

There are some really terrific images on this thread.

Thank you gents for posting them. The title "How realistic are your models?" is proved by some very cunning shots which are hard to distiguish from the real thing thus matching the title.The weathering and toning shown on the pictures has reached an art form almost. I am glad the days of keeping models pristine have passed. ( I have heard that it preserves their value to collectors but i personlly thing that, come the day, our trains will not realise as much as we expect.) The most prevalent give away in the views is the awful Peco streamline track!  Surely the hobby these days deserves something better? Those pictures which do not directly show the track definately have the edge in the realism stakes. Greatly enjoyed  the wander through imagination land so thank you all.

Martin Long

• Like 3

Belated Dr Who Christmas Special........

Choose your poison....

Daleks......

med_gallery_17883_3493_220831.jpg

or Cyberman.......

med_gallery_17883_3493_136876.jpg

I hate to be a killjoy, but isn't the title of this thread 'How realistic are your models'?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've yet to wander into a village and see Daleks and Cybermen wandering about. Whilst I can enjoy the idea, personally I don't think it has a place in this thread which is for those who feel their models have the look and feel of the real thing.

• Like 1

Daleks aren't real!!!!   - Of course the BBC could be filming on location for the next Xmas special.....

In which case where are the film crew? :nono:

Then again the snow does look like the nice false stuff they use to film winter scenes in the middle if summer :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I hate to be a killjoy, but isn't the title of this thread 'How realistic are your models'?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've yet to wander into a village and see Daleks and Cybermen wandering about. Whilst I can enjoy the idea, personally I don't think it has a place in this thread which is for those who feel their models have the look and feel of the real thing.

Its difficult since almost all railway layouts have an element of fantasy about them, I was watching Dewsbury Midland at Stafford over the weekend and it is a totally plausible railway, designed well, excellent modelling and all to true railway standards despite being a location that never was.

The cybermen and Daleks clearly cannot be real or look real since they don't exist but I think AV is a 'fantasy' layout and so in its own context I suppose it can.  

My example is can you have a realistic model of a dragon?  I suspect you can, it can be believable even if we know that it never existed.

My criticism here (if I allowed) is that the image isn't very realistic even allowing for fantasy models, The cybermen are quite poor models and you can see their bases amongst snow that just is not convincing - could you drive that car with that much snow on the bonnet.  Realism is about believing and its hard to believe these images even when I allow for a what if fantasy.

Andy

post-3088-0-09042000-1423265590_thumb.jpg

Hintock. 

(And how does this fare in the "Realism Stakes?")

• Like 19

What its not real???? :resent:

As they say there's a prototype for everything

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_9220000/newsid_9226700/9226798.stm

Well modelled even the scale of the Cybermen looks correct... :good:

And before someone says but Daleks and trains I give you http://www.dalek6388.co.uk/images/train-dalek-revelation.png

Steve

• Like 2

Steve, I disagree.

The question is how realistic is your "model' railway.

A railway is a fact. A Daleek (however you spell it) is fiction.

I suggest you, and others look at Pugsley's original posting. And consider his intention, along with the spirit that lay behind it.

I do not intend to engage in an exercise of semantics.I have better things to do .

Edited by john flann

I can see where you are coming from.  I also agree about semantics too.

Steve, I disagree.

The question is how realistic is your "model' railway.

A railway is a fact. A Daleek (however you spell it) is fiction.

I suggest you, and others look at Pugsley's original posting. And consider his intention, along with the spirit that lay behind it.

I do not intend to engage in an exercise of semantics.I have better things to do .

The AV layout does have several sizable sections which include some film makers [hence Daleks etc being here] and as such it would seem to get back to the fact rather than fiction category.

It would seem that the picture represents a view from somewhere around where the film makers are filming from too, as they are not visible in the pictures here, but have appeared along with the characters in other shots on AV.

I particularly like the churned up snow and winter lighting to the shots too.  I was looking at the "Model the right type of snow" articles in Model Rail Mag and there was mention of "Delux Shovelled Snow" at some considerable price, but Jaz has that same messed up squashed chucked about snow made from scratch - great.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What its not real???? :resent:

As they say there's a prototype for everything

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_9220000/newsid_9226700/9226798.stm

Well modelled even the scale of the Cybermen looks correct... :good:

And before someone says but Daleks and trains I give you http://www.dalek6388.co.uk/images/train-dalek-revelation.png

Steve

I can imagine waiting to board a tube train and when the door opens... Cybermen!! Mind you that Dalek looks a bit effeminate the way its carrying its bag. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Belated Dr Who Christmas Special........

Choose your poison....

Daleks......

med_gallery_17883_3493_220831.jpg

or Cyberman.......

med_gallery_17883_3493_136876.jpg

Can't see the problem, yes there are fictional characters in the photo, the background and snow are a realistic aspect, I walked into asda today an Mickey mouse was there collecting money, it could of been a darlek or cyber man! Just the same as not everyone can't afford to go p4 or what ever to get away from peco track, this hobby is expensive at best of times, so I think people are doing great job whether realistic or not, and the end of the day it's a hobby that we all love.