BBC 2 Welsh Railways : Full Steam Ahead 4 parts

Nobby (John)

I think this was first shown last year on BBC Wales only (?), which was frustrating at the time. Pleased to see it's now made it to mainsteam BBC2. Each episode is 30mins long and are as follows:-

Mon 28th Jan, 7pm. Full Steam Ahead

The story of how enthusiasts transformed a disused railway into a modern wonder.

Tue 29th Jan, 7pm, Full Steam Ahead

Support from enthusiasts helps get the Welsh Highland Railway project started.

Wed 30th Jan, 7pm, Beating Beeching

A schoolboy driver, a station master and fireman share their passion for Welsh steam trains

Thu 31st Jan, 7pm, Beating Beeching

Archive footage and first-hand testimonies chart the heyday of welsh steam trains.

Cheers,

I could be wrong but when the protesters were interviewed I didn't detect a Welsh accent amongst them!

I thought the same.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I felt that there was an air of NIMBYism - and whilst I felt for the sheep farmer with now seven plots of land either side of the reinstated WHR - I felt his arguement may be that until the line re-opened he (and his sheep) crossed the abandoned trackbed at will.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

I liked the line from one of the protesters as a train passes:

"Look, that train is full of railway enthusiasts, not tourists"

Quite how you determine one from the other, or know that railway enthusiasts can't be tourists, I couldn't fathom!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Switched on part way through and immediately saw a man with a tea cozy on his head, being interviewed. Switched off. Give me Dan Snow any day!

I know what you mean Chris - I must admit that I thought that rather strange. However apart from that it was an excellent programme promoting railway preservation and the narrow gauge although they didn't dwell much (if at all) on the falling out between the FR and the old WHHR which thankfully seems to be over now. It was more about the people involved and the amount of voluntary effort that had achieved so much.

My wife watched the programme and was quite impressed by the South African Garratt loco going through the Aberglaslyn Pass and said that we should go there sometime - result !!

Part 2 which covers the completion of the line is on BBC2 tonight at 7.00pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017hf5f

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I've just watched and enjoyed part 1 and SWMBO watched the bit where the train goes through Aberglaslyn Pass.  As a result we will probably go on it when we have a few days in North Wales later this year.  Thanks BBC.

Jamie

Switched on part way through and immediately saw a man with a tea cozy on his head, being interviewed. Switched off. Give me Dan Snow any day!

CHRIS LEIGH

Saw him and just though "Noooooooooooooooooooo" - Why do they always have to find the loony with a hat?

Apart from that, excellent. Interesting that during the day, the news was full of anti-HS2 protesters and in the evening, anti-WHLR protesters. Both, I suspect, would have been happy with a new motorway on the same route.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Saw him and just though "Noooooooooooooooooooo" - Why do they always have to find the loony with a hat?

Apart from that, excellent. Interesting that during the day, the news was full of anti-HS2 protesters and in the evening, anti-WHLR protesters. Both, I suspect, would have been happy with a new motorway on the same route.

Phil

The interesting thing about the protestors to my mind was that they were mainly 'English' and obviously 'comers in' as they would have been called in the dales where I grew up.

Jamie

The interesting thing about the protestors to my mind was that they were mainly 'English' and obviously 'comers in' as they would have been called in the dales where I grew up.

Jamie

If it comes to that, so were most of the volunteers and the leading lights of the project.

Makes me laugh, how the protesters complain about their quiet valley now having noisy trains running through it. How do the other tourists, ie walkers, get there, do they walk all the way? No, they drive through the quiet valley in their noisy cars which collectively make just as much, if not more, noise than the trains. Also, the car noise is not to a set timetable. Then they clog up the villages with their cars (eg Bedgelert) before driving back out again later, after a 'quiet' walk in the valley!.

• RMweb Premium

If it comes to that, so were most of the volunteers and the leading lights of the project.

Yes I was aware of that but it reminded me of an incident in my youth when the local quarry wanted to expand, thus keeping m,any of my schoolfriends fathers in employment but it was opposed by a viciferous minority of 'comers in' led by various TV personalities who had bought 2nd homes in the village.

Jamie

I've just watched and enjoyed part 1 and SWMBO watched the bit where the train goes through Aberglaslyn Pass.  As a result we will probably go on it when we have a few days in North Wales later this year. 

Aberglaslyn Pass - thoroughly recommended, oth from the train, and on foot.

The area around South Snowdon also.

Visit Gelerts grave as well.

And remember ..... if Wales was flat, it would be twice as big as England !

Brian R

The hat baffled me! So loud and vibrant, maybe his heating wasn't working?

I enjoyed the show. I think it could appeal to enthusiasts and those with a casual interest alike.

It was interesting to hear from those who were against the railway and I feel that it is important that they were included.Their arguments generally lacked substance though, particularly the 'rich men playing trains' chap. The older gentleman who's concerns about the peacefulness of the valley I feel are unfounded as relatively few trains will pass through each day as the line is too long to have a particularly intensive timetable.

It was nice to see the farmer who had genuine concerns regarding his sheep won over after a trip on the line, and that didn't even include steam haulage or a trip through the pass!

CHRIS LEIGH

Well Chris it's your loss. A lovely little programme (though I could have done with some subtitles to help me with the rather inpenetrable accent of the charming old guy who had used the railway to go to his Gran's after school!) I really enjoyed it and will be tuning in for the other two programmes with interest. By contrast, Dan Snow will not be troubling my conciousness tonight (or any night).

Well done BBC Wales, don't keep this stuff to yourselves next time. Great for getting a few extra visitors in I'd imagine?

I will watch the last two on the F&WHR having enjoyed the first two. As for the later Dan Snow show, I missed last week's episode and wasn't that worried after seeing the first but general consensus on here is that I need to see it. I will see what tonight brings but generally I am not enamoured with Master Snow's style. Perhaps that's just me being a grumpy curmudgeon, I don't know.

It was interesting to hear from those who were against the railway and I feel that it is important that they were included.Their arguments generally lacked substance though, particularly the 'rich men playing trains' chap.  

I'd admit to not knowing all of the facts and really don't want to either, but don't forget there was some degree of opposition from the original WHR Preservation Group. I'm glad this wasn't included in the final programme, as showing Railway people against another Railway wouldn't have done the movement any good or gained support from the NIMBY's.

• RMweb Gold

Just watched the first programme on i-Player and thoroughly enjoyed it, just irritated by the embittered women who spoke out against it, using arguments based neither in fact nor logic - with English accents too, as someone else pointed out.

I've generally kept a fairly close eye on how the WHR have been progressing over the years, both on the internet and by visiting as often as possible, certainly each year, and have watched  some locations be transformed from original, wilderness-state disused trackbed, to a cleared trackbed, to a ballasted way, and finally to an operational railway. It's been completely and utterly thrilling.

I was very glad to see the railway winning over some critics, that was well done indeed.

I didn't mind the fellow with the funny orange hat - we get loads of folk like that in Totnes! This fellow, like everyone else interviewed, was passionate about the railway, the only difference being was his headgear - no reason to criticise, surely?  :)

• RMweb Gold

It was telling that the only reasoned arguments were from the two farmers and both of those admitted its advantages as well, though were worried about the changes for the very practical reasons of needing more manpower to guard crossings and potential for sheep getting run over. I assume they have a similar damage agreement to the one NR has as the lineside fences are their responsibility. I was a little suprised that they didn't put in gates for routes used regularly by livestock but I suppose the linespeed means an open crossing is considered safe, I didn't notice if there were phones too.

Personally I think the protestors were the ones who came out looking a bit daft as the Welsh contingent seemed quite practical about it and that was my experience 20 years ago when I was volunteering on the 64Co where at least one of the landowners was a regular volunteer!

Will we get withdrawal symptoms after this glut of railway programmes? ;)

Archived