RMweb

Older Inspirational Layouts

Some real memory-joggers in there. What date is it?

I got into garden railways c1995 I think, and went ver to lol at the Daventry one, which I think was G scale by then.

At the real Chiltern Green the track bed is now a cycleway and it always makes me think of the layout when I pedal along there, relieved to have got Dunstable and Luton behind me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lummy that take me back.. Barry Norman with Windlesham cove, Chiltern green and Luton Hoo ( where the Minitrix 9Fs had problems passing each other), Bob Symes with his diesel powered R/C Hymek, Bevleys, Martin Brent...top quality modelling.. top quality people.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Agree 4

There may have been others before it but to me Chiltern Green and Luton Hoo was the first layout that showed the true potential of N gauge. I was in the 00 camp at the time but I remember being extremely impressed with the work that had been done on Chiltern Green. Many years later when I finally went to N gauge the memory of Chiltern green was very much part of my inspiration. I think it's fair to say that my lesser layout efforts in N gauge, Little Aller Junction and Dawlish Warren, would not have happened if it wasn't for Chiltern Green so I am eternally grateful to the builders of this layout.  While Copenhagen Fields is a truly exceptional modelling project I still rate Chiltern green as the more inspirational. It doesn't look so good now on display in Devon because it is old and it is automated but at least it still exists and still works.

Edited by Chris M
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It is making me feel my age when layouts that I saw at shows and which I even exhibited alongside are appearing in a thread about older layouts.

Petherick was a real game changer for me. With the baseboards being wider than they were long and a real railway in the landscape feel that is usually 2mm scale territory.

I am hoping to see Barry Norman in the not too distant future, so I will ask him what he thinks about seeing himself on film all those years ago.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Some real memory-joggers in there. What date is it?

I got into garden railways c1995 I think, and went ver to lol at the Daventry one, which I think was G scale by then.

At the real Chiltern Green the track bed is now a cycleway and it always makes me think of the layout when I pedal along there, relieved to have got Dunstable and Luton behind me.

Saw the Daventry garden line when it was OO, hadn’t realised it had gone G.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Nick G said:

Dyserth Road (from 2002) seemed to inspire a few depot layouts. DCC sound and (Express Models) lights in mainly Lima locos back then. 

Stand-exhibitons.jpg

37headshunt.jpg

freightliner-86s.jpg

I remember a chap from Rhyl saying something nice about this rubbish, Pig Lane.

80853943_IM(16).jpg.f1cdc5b532888ccb94c34cd7ecfccf22.jpg

791849503_IM(22).jpg.763c007fe9969a0e2bbe4f05a92905fd.jpg

381926286_IM(14).jpg.ca26168b25a5f0df108740d5bbdfc081.jpg

1413621043_IM(21).jpg.59df3d3d3acb26bafaf6495f9c7ee0a8.jpg

I can only apologise to the GWR branch line terminus modellers that Nick's and my little train sets started a trend more boring than a GWR  BLT.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Agree!

When I saw my first TMD layout I thought that’s clever if you really only want locos. Then I saw my next, and my next, and my next…..

Now they are beyond clichéd. They are now one of my barometers when I am deciding to visit an exhibition or not.

Don’t get me wrong, each to their own etc but they are now just too numerous. As a comparison it’s like liking a Brass Band as opposed to an Orchestra. The Orchestra has so much more depth to it, strings, percussion etc, than a Brass Band.

I will now duck! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 28/01/2013 at 23:34, peanuts said:

surprised to see no mention of Manchester mrcs Gransmoor Castle  was lucky enought to see this 2mm & 2mm finescale layout on its final outing at Macclesfield model railway show 

There were 3 articles in the 3 magazines of the period, depicting this layout. They showed it was possible to have a realistic layout in a large space and not just a coffee table layout, because you could.

It still didn't inspire me to ever try N Gauge.

https://www.magazineexchange.co.uk

Search for Gransmoor and they will show up.

Edit to add.

Nothing quite like resurrecting an old post!

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

There were 3 articles in the 3 magazines of the period, depicting this layout. They showed it was possible to have a realistic layout in a large space and not just a coffee table layout, because you could.

It still didn't inspire me to ever try N Gauge.

https://www.magazineexchange.co.uk

Search for Gransmoor and they will show up.

You should have given it a go. 🙂

Edited by Chris M
  • Agree 1

I'm not keen on MPDs/TMDs (especially with sound) but to me the most recent worrying trend is the plethora of 7mm layouts that consist of a nicely weathered diesel and a couple of wagons shunting up and down a straight piece of track. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I'm not keen on MPDs/TMDs (especially with sound) but to me the most recent worrying trend is the plethora of 7mm layouts that consist of a nicely weathered diesel and a couple of wagons shunting up and down a straight piece of track. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree Chris, well the noise bit. Many don't seem to have been designed using prototype track plans which would give the running foreman a nightmare. I have seen quite a few where the fuel storage capacity is far less than the fuel tanks parked alongside, unless as suggested the other day by a friend, the modellers concerned had worked out how to compress a liquid. Massive 12 cylinder engine blocks on a flatrol with no signs of how in the one road shed the fitters got the thing out a loco.

But don't dismiss all small depot layouts, some are researched to how a depot works. Some have some modelling on them like scratch built buildings, scratch built little people, and in the last photo of the above post 2 converted locos and 4 scratch built.

1742408059_IM(32).jpg.109fc72632a032e7d9e1b0d2ae188452.jpg

One scratch built loco and one cut and shut in this English Electric line up.

1602701814_IM(17)b.jpg.0151302379656ade2bb39b67ef4c5d7d.jpg

A row of non RTR shunters.

1066701721_IM(6).jpg.6c9349913e6744f41ad09e1128e1420d.jpg

The nose of a scratch built loco and a converted loco.

See what people miss when they say "Oh another F***ing Diesel Depot". As heard at many a show.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Some photos of Chiltern Green at the time that Luton Hoo was being added to it. Taken by Pekka Siiskonen in 1981.  Soon to feature in an article in the MRC Bulletin. 
F4E7A89F-C63D-4639-A4B5-EEB5B5F8738F.jpe

A1EC5DD2-8254-43B3-B80C-ACB0B23FB7D1.jpe

83A81A6A-1302-46EA-A688-A2E97C7CEF05.jpe

1E1BF5B7-CECB-42F6-8066-1FC734812FBB.jpe

Last photos taken by Len Weal, when the branch was complete. 
A82FFFDB-5B39-4E46-8029-202398BBD7A1.jpe

The Midland Pullman was scratchbuilt by Bernard Taylor-TPM: it probably did more miles on Chee Tor than CG!  Frighteningly,  the Midland signal cabin was one of the first buildings I scratch built fifty years ago…
3D22B4A1-CD05-4AA3-9F3B-AE57AA6F3C1F.jpe

CG & LH are now in private hands - I have no idea where. 

Tim 

Edited by CF MRC
Credit BernardTPM.
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2022 at 11:17, D-A-T said:

Agree!

When I saw my first TMD layout I thought that’s clever if you really only want locos. Then I saw my next, and my next, and my next…..

Now they are beyond clichéd. They are now one of my barometers when I am deciding to visit an exhibition or not.

Don’t get me wrong, each to their own etc but they are now just too numerous. As a comparison it’s like liking a Brass Band as opposed to an Orchestra. The Orchestra has so much more depth to it, strings, percussion etc, than a Brass Band.

I will now duck! 🤣

I went to a show a while ago that had 10 O Gauge layouts of which 8 were diesel depots. All were DCC sound fitted.

I walked out after having my ears battered for about 30 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5