Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Older Inspirational Layouts

Another one I remember and loved, and it was quite simplistic was the Gauge 1 Guilds layout at IMREX every year. I loved it and was fascinated by the operating, block bells and telephones :-) The Southern EMU a personal favourite. Is that layout still about?

Good Lord, Rewley Road.  Only remember the real thing once it had become a tyre warehouse (I was brought up near Oxford) and of course Brett's Burgers outside which sustained me on many a late-night train ride back from The White Horse/Old Sod/Bird & Baby once I reached pubbing age.  

We also had a string of Maxis.  As very young children the Aged Ps used to fold down the back, make a bed in it, and my Sister & I would sleep on the way back from visits to family.  We'd also do a similar folding down & load an entire mini rugby team in there, so that's one adult driving & none little boys.  Wouldn't be allowed these days!

Anyway, sorry for OT post, but I wish I'd seen the layout...

When I was in my early teens I was a junior member of Poole & District MRS.  My inspiration was their layout Milborne Junction. It taught me that, at exhibitions, you are entertaining the public so you should always have something running.

Another inspiration was John Harrison's Torpoint because his articles about it were funny and, however good we endeavour to make our models, we must always enjoy ourselves and have fun whilst we are doing it.

• RMweb Gold

When I was in my early teens I was a junior member of Poole & District MRS.  My inspiration was their layout Milborne Junction. It taught me that, at exhibitions, you are entertaining the public so you should always have something running.

Another inspiration was John Harrison's Torpoint because his articles about it were funny and, however good we endeavour to make our models, we must always enjoy ourselves and have fun whilst we are doing it.

Can't remember the last time I saw a treacle mine on a layout.

Rewley Road is safe and sound at Quainton... I loved it because it was a)a prototypical terminus b)not just a weeny blt c)pre-grouping stock d)operated authentically

Have Bucks Railway Centre got it on permanent display now and if so is it static or operable (like the Madder Valley at Pendon)? Rather good if there's a scale model of Rewley Road inside its own prototype.  I used to know it as a tyre company which as a teenager I passed every time I visited Oxford Station or the sheds though the yard was still getting some goods traffic.

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Premium

We also had a string of Maxis.  As very young children the Aged Ps used to fold down the back, make a bed in it, and my Sister & I would sleep on the way back from visits to family.

I vaguely remember that being able to sleep in it, or being "the size of a double-bed" was one of the Maxi's selling points.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Is 'Penguin Road' still around, probably set the standard for Cornish modern image!

Hi Calimero

Do you mean Pengwynn Crossing http://www.flickr.com/photos/monitor-computing/sets/72157626561495073/

It was built by my mate Ian. It was always a pleasure going round his house and seeing what he had done since the last visit.

Is 'Penguin Road' still around, probably set the standard for Cornish modern image!

Calimero,

If you mean Pengwynn Crossing, then yes it is.

We at Bentley Model Railway Group in Chippenham http://www.bmrg.org.uk/ still have it. We do need to look at the wiring and the control panel, but it is still my favourite club layout, even though it's OO.

As Chairman I'd like to see it back out next year, as its the layouts 25th birthday, but I'm not sure we'll make it.

Regards

Neal

Chairman

BMRG

• RMweb Premium

Calimero,

If you mean Pengwynn Crossing, then yes it is.

We at Bentley Model Railway Group in Chippenham http://www.bmrg.org.uk/ still have it. We do need to look at the wiring and the control panel, but it is still my favourite club layout, even though it's OO.

As Chairman I'd like to see it back out next year, as its the layouts 25th birthday, but I'm not sure we'll make it.

Regards

Neal

Chairman

BMRG

Hi Neal

I hope you will get it sorted for next year.

I built Ian a BR track gang's crew bus for Pengwynn. I was at a show and Neal was there with another layout and it had a very nice looking crew bus on it. I thought it was one of Jon Hall's wonderful castings until I saw the gang sitting in the back playing cards :O  Couldn't even recogonise my own work :blush:

Hi Calimero

Do you mean Pengwynn Crossing http://www.flickr.com/photos/monitor-computing/sets/72157626561495073/

It was built by my mate Ian. It was always a pleasure going round his house and seeing what he had done since the last visit.

Ian was a Wakefield club member for a few years while he was working in the area and I'm sure the bones of this were built during this time?  I always liked it and it's good to hear that it still exists.  Could be considerd as a ground breaking layout in its treatment of diesels as clean and desirable locos rather than grudgingly accepted steam-killing outcasts.

• 1 month later...

I remember Dave Howsham's "Porthleven" and a layout called "Torpoint" (funny that, 'cos everyone knows me as my club's main source of GWR jokes nowadays)

For me the Master Modeller was the late David Jenkinson, though Ian Futers (who I once met) runs him a close second. (funny again, as both these guys work in 7mm scale and I'm struggling with N aka Electric Mice 

A good thread to revive!

The first Railway Modeller I ever bought (Jan '70?) had Brian Fayle's Harlyn Junction as the Railway of the Month - an inspriration then that is still able to hold it's head up now.

I cannot now remember how, but not long after I acquired assorted magazines from even further back and a 1966 edition of Model Railway News featured Trevor Hughes's Trawsffynydd.  I would imagine that anything in OO9 was ground-breaking in those days and there was a picture of a semi-derelict lineside hut with a partially-collapsed roof that 95%  of us now would struggle to even approach, let alone equal.

A good thread to revive!

The first Railway Modeller I ever bought (Jan '70?) had Brian Fayle's Harlyn Junction as the Railway of the Month - an inspriration then that is still able to hold it's head up now.

I cannot now remember how, but not long after I acquired assorted magazines from even further back and a 1966 edition of Model Railway News featured Trevor Hughes's Trawsffynydd.  I would imagine that anything in OO9 was ground-breaking in those days and there was a picture of a semi-derelict lineside hut with a partially-collapsed roof that 95%  of us now would struggle to even approach, let alone equal.

I'm glad someone else's first RM was Jan 70. I think I mention Brian Fayles layout on one of the first pages of this thread. Your correct Mike it would still hold its head up today.

Oh Crikey it's a long list.

Buckingham Great Central

Ashley Bridge

Bredon

Chiltern Green

All of David Jenkinson's layouts

Wyndlesham Cove

Cheviotdale

Dovey Valley

Ashdon & Midport

Bodmin in P4 (30+ years ago)

The Norris layout

Ardlui (I don't know why was so taken by this but I was)

I think of these as more recent but of course they aren't:

Chee Tor

Chipping Norton

Edited by Anglian

• 2 weeks later...

This is the later Borchester Market - not the original Borchester. I well remember the series of articles in MRC in the early 60s about the earlier layout which, for the time, were certainly very inspiring. I believe it developed from a terminus and had very sharp curves but it had loads of atmosphere.

Edited by HSB

• RMweb Premium

Crikey, my thread is still going!

I used to know Ian Futers a little when I lived on Tyneside, he used to have an ongoing sarcasm battle with our club!  I always loved his little layouts, he was years ahead of his time.  Nice to see him still discussed, i haven't seen anything by him for a long while though?

Ah, Torpoint - mark whatever!  Didn't he sometimes do rather funny updates in cornish vernacular?

• Like 2

David, thanks for that, I am off to Nottingham in March then. Haven't seen Borchester since, what, about 1960?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but David's post referred to the 2013 Nottingham show. With "Buckingham" appearing in 2012, having a vintage layout might have seemed to be an annual event, but this year the crown will be worn by clockwork Hornby and an impressive Meccano bridge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Crikey, my thread is still going!

I used to know Ian Futers a little when I lived on Tyneside, he used to have an ongoing sarcasm battle with our club!  I always loved his little layouts, he was years ahead of his time.  Nice to see him still discussed, i haven't seen anything by him for a long while though?

Ah, Torpoint - mark whatever!  Didn't he sometimes do rather funny updates in cornish vernacular?

Neil

he is still building layouts in 7mm and he has a new one at York at Easter.

Barry