Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Older Inspirational Layouts

And from one extreme to the other, a layout which will forever stay with me forever is Ivydale (All Hallows), a 16mm standard gauge depiction of a light railway terminus packed in to a very tight space of around 12' x 2'. It just shows the advantage of large scale modelling. It truly is a micro layout but it doesn't seem cramped or forced in any way. It really is worth a (re)look, I think this was in RM in around December 1996.

David 

I LOVE this layout, absolutely everything about it. One day, I'll build a version, but probably as a 4mm micro, or a 7mm experiment.

• RMweb Premium

If I'd known about it earlier, the Greenlane and Hillside Railway.  Right up my street in being primarily concerned with authentic operations and railway ambience.  

Weirdly, I hadn't heard of it until this past week when I picked up a copy of 'The Living Model Railway' s/h from the ever excellent Buffers in Axminster on my yearly visit there.

Anyone know more of this line?  I shall have to re-read Jack Ray, as he seemed to have chronicled many of the key O scale layouts through the 60s and 70s.

I might be wrong as I don't have the magazine to hand but I recall that a layout with that name is one of the ones mentioned in a write up that Cliff Parson may have lined up for his "AIMREC" model railway centre in Ashford. It was certainly a very similar layout name if it wasn't that.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I've just come across this thread, got to page 7 and only then realised it started in 2013 not 2015!! DoH!!!

However, I recall the WIR (Welch International Railway) by Des Welch, one of the founders of the Sheffield Model Railway Enthusiasts (SMRE), it was a regular exhibitor at the Sheffield Exhibition up until the late 70's.  It was three/two rail, with basic scenery, but with a great mixture of stock from various eras/countries running together, however, each train had to be accurate in their own right and it needed several operators using bell codes - It always drew the crowds and I just wonder how many people were inspired by it!  It must have been about 40' x 8' and had several trains running at once.  I also believe that it appear in the RM during the sixties? Does anyone else remember WIR?

Otherwise, many of the layouts already mentioned, have been truly inspirational, Buckingham, Porthleven, Yatton Junction, Llareggub,  to name but a very, very few.

Cheers,

Aidan

Sadly, David's hand built track using code 60 rail has deteriorated over the years and it would be very difficult to replace it without damaging David's superb scenic work. Otherwise, I would probably be exhibiting it on the continental circuit.

I did get one surprise when I bought it, the station building with its exquisitely-modelled front and sides has a plain back, just painted the correct colours without any features such as doors and windows.

On the contrary, I was quite surprised when operating a friend's layout at a show last weekend to see that the non-viewing side of the station building had not just doors and windows, but enamel adverts as well!

I always liked my layouts to be entertaining and I like to see internsive operation, the small branch line layout, and especially the depot layout are not my cup of tea at all, hence the layouts that inspired me inth epast and to a certain extent resulted in Northbridge and Gateside were..

1) Avondale, Waterfoot & Creston. An extensive 00 gauge loft based 1960s steam/diesel and electric layout which appeared in the Railway Modeller Nov 1970.
2) Chester Joint, Another massive garage railway, Railway Modeller 1963(ish)
3) Elderslie - Built by Renfrewshire Model Railway Club and appeared at many shows in the 1970s. The track plan for this inspired an earlier version of G&N

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Anyone else recall an O scale layout featured in the RM in the late 70s, was stud contact and certainly not fie scale.  Featured a peak and a DMU among other 'modern' types.  I think it was called Manchester something.

Bob Ledger's Manchester Central. Complete with block bells. A regular at Blackburn and other Northern shows.

He was always keen to let others "have a go" and at one exhibition, one unsuspecting operator ran into the terminal station with the Peak and Mk1 set a little too quickly. As power was shut off, it was still travelling as it disappeared under the overall roof. There was a loud bang as the loco hit the stops and a second bang as the end of the building fell on the floor. Such was the sturdiness of Bob's stock, none of it was damaged.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

My favourite by a country mile (that I saw "in the flesh" ) was Alan Wrights Cheviotdale. Closely followed by Castle Rackrent - the name of the builder escapes me but a fabulous 7mm Irish affair.

More recently - Runswick Bay - great layout.

One I didn't see for real but would have loved to.. Geoff Williams Aylesbury in EM.

And I must mention Allied Marine which I think was actually a bit of a game changer.

Even more up to date, and maybe beyond the OPs timescales, but a layout that has been around for while (although I saw it for the first time at last years Warrington show ) was / is The Bergeller Bahn- in HOm by John Laister - brilliant, worth the entrance fee alone.

• Like 1

Indeed it is, there was a brief article in MRJ about three issues back, describing the current changes.  Its mainly being modified to avoid duck-unders

Cheers, Dave.

The original Castle Rackrent baseboards attended the Perth show last year and in order to exract the boards from the back corner of the basement it was necessary to virtually dismantle the whole layout.  Rather than put everything back 'as was' the opportunity has been taken to make alterations and extensions to the layout to make life a bit easier for us old folks and allow Richard to incorporate some long planned alterations.   This has also meant a new timetable for the operators to master [the previous timetable had  been used for some 20 odd years but we, OK I, still got it wrong.] 

Should have been going for an operating session tonight but SWMBO has made other arrangements!!

Malcolm

• Like 1

Reading through this thread, it is interesting to find so many remembering pre 1970 layouts. Many of the ones mentioned have probably inspired me.

My first London exhibition was 1969, and I think Berrow as there, the larger version of Buckingham certainly attended one of the shows over those next few years. also remember Garsdale Road.Possibly the layout to inspire me most was Dave Rowe's original Milkwood, and I ended up being based in same parts of country as Dave, Exter in mid 70s and up north vising Blackburn shop in late 80s and 90s hen Dave and Shirley were regular exhibitors.

One layout that was exhibited at London easter show was also featured in MRC at the time. Possibly not as good as some classics, but Hyndburn Town was the first layout to show off the new Mainline J72 and wagons. It must have been 1977, comparing dates. The layout was build by our old local club in Accrington, and I was only talking to some of its members last year, and confirmed what I had remembered. At the time I had never been up this way.

A few years ago there were some videos made of the then classic layouts. Not sure which ones, but I have been told the next one planned, but never done, was Marsden OO built by the Skipton club. The layout transferred from Skipton to our club , based near Accrington and still runs. It uses all handbuilt track, finescale but older stock sometimes runs better than brand new stock. It was originally built in early 80s so is now 30 years old. We don't have enough young fit members to exhibit it, but on the few occasions I have been involved in taking it apart, it is a superbly build layout, which comes apart and goes back together pretty quickly compared to some newer layouts I have seen. Hopefully it will never be scapped as being based on a prototype has some historical importance.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always liked my layouts to be entertaining and I like to see internsive operation, the small branch line layout, and especially the depot layout are not my cup of tea at all, hence the layouts that inspired me inth epast and to a certain extent resulted in Northbridge and Gateside were..

1) Avondale, Waterfoot & Creston. An extensive 00 gauge loft based 1960s steam/diesel and electric layout which appeared in the Railway Modeller Nov 1970.

3) Elderslie - Built by Renfrewshire Model Railway Club and appeared at many shows in the 1970s. The track plan for this inspired an earlier version of G&N

Jim

Hi Jim

A layout I always liked as it was operational based not secenic. I still have a copy of this edition of the Modeller, partly for this layout and the article on diesels by Mike Cole. There was another article about the timetable in MRN a few months later, sadly I do not have a copy of the MRN article.

• RMweb Premium

Jim

2 - Birkenhead Joint by H Eric Fisher, RM October 1963.

3 - I was a member, briefly, of Renfrewshire MRC in the late 1970s. Elderslie was a great layout, but even more so when connected to Greenock Prince's Pier at one end and St Enoch at the other (St Enoch was generally referred to as St Eunuch, as only one of the two train sheds was modelled).

• RMweb Premium

The original Castle Rackrent baseboards attended the Perth show last year and in order to exract the boards from the back corner of the basement it was necessary to virtually dismantle the whole layout.  Rather than put everything back 'as was' the opportunity has been taken to make alterations and extensions to the layout to make life a bit easier for us old folks and allow Richard to incorporate some long planned alterations.   This has also meant a new timetable for the operators to master [the previous timetable had  been used for some 20 odd years but we, OK I, still got it wrong.] 

Should have been going for an operating session tonight but SWMBO has made other arrangements!!

Malcolm

Thanks very much for the information Malcolm, I've long admired and been inspired by the Castle Rackrent layout(s).  

Will there be any updates on the redevelopment online anywhere do you know?

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Reading through this thread, it is interesting to find so many remembering pre 1970 layouts. Many of the ones mentioned have probably inspired me.

My first London exhibition was 1969, and I think Berrow as there, the larger version of Buckingham certainly attended one of the shows over those next few years. also remember Garsdale Road.Possibly the layout to inspire me most was Dave Rowe's original Milkwood, and I ended up being based in same parts of country as Dave, Exter in mid 70s and up north vising Blackburn shop in late 80s and 90s hen Dave and Shirley were regular exhibitors.

One layout that was exhibited at London easter show was also featured in MRC at the time. Possibly not as good as some classics, but Hyndburn Town was the first layout to show off the new Mainline J72 and wagons. It must have been 1977, comparing dates. The layout was build by our old local club in Accrington, and I was only talking to some of its members last year, and confirmed what I had remembered. At the time I had never been up this way.

A few years ago there were some videos made of the then classic layouts. Not sure which ones, but I have been told the next one planned, but never done, was Marsden OO built by the Skipton club. The layout transferred from Skipton to our club , based near Accrington and still runs. It uses all handbuilt track, finescale but older stock sometimes runs better than brand new stock. It was originally built in early 80s so is now 30 years old. We don't have enough young fit members to exhibit it, but on the few occasions I have been involved in taking it apart, it is a superbly build layout, which comes apart and goes back together pretty quickly compared to some newer layouts I have seen. Hopefully it will never be scapped as being based on a prototype has some historical importance.

Do you have any further information on the appearance of Buckingham? As the custodian of the layout, I have tried to put together as much "history" for the layout as I can, helped by a wonderful set of copies of all known information provided by the Denny family.

This includes things like brochures for exhibitions and mentions in model railway magazines of show appearances.

Up to now I haven't been aware that the later version of Buckingham was ever exhibited and I have been telling people that it never was, so I would have to re-think what I say to folk!

Also, can you remember if it was as a working layout or a static exhibit?

Thanks,

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Do you have any further information on the appearance of Buckingham? As the custodian of the layout, I have tried to put together as much "history" for the layout as I can, helped by a wonderful set of copies of all known information provided by the Denny family.

This includes things like brochures for exhibitions and mentions in model railway magazines of show appearances.

Up to now I haven't been aware that the later version of Buckingham was ever exhibited and I have been telling people that it never was, so I would have to re-think what I say to folk!

Also, can you remember if it was as a working layout or a static exhibit?

Thanks,

Tony

I can not definitely confirm seeing Buckingham, but I do have a memory of it, I think. Memory can be a funny thing, but it does tend to be things that inspire you that stick in memory.

Although I can clearly recall seeing David Jenkinson's Garsdale road at Central Hall (I spent several hours in total standing in front of it so enthralled was I by it), a layout that alongside Buckingham, Borchester, and The Berrow Branch were my main sources of inspiration, and of course there was much change as the London Shows moved to the Horticultural Halls for a while, and then Wembley (as IMREX I seem to remember but may be wrong), I am fairly certain that Buckingham never featured in any show in any format during those times, the 60's/70's. Indeed, I have always been under the impression that when Leighton Buzzard was brought up to town for the MRJ bash that was the first time any of it had been viewed by the general public for a very long time if I remember the publicity correctly. Perhaps my memory is also at fault here, but I don't think I would have forgotton something as significant as seeing some part of Buckingham in the flesh before this happened.

Izzy

HEIMDORF

I don’t normally venture onto this thread (there are too many good things on here to keep up with everything and I waste enough modelling time as it is!), but was amazed when a friend told me that Heimdorf was mentioned in this thread. I’m glad bAccasse got some fun out of the layout after I moved onto new modelling pastures and that it still exists, even if its inoperable. It was a nice little layout and very easy to transport. I think I was lucky in that I decided to start modelling German railways when it was still possible to see German BLTs with all their infrastructure intact, even if they had only minimal or no freight traffic at all and trains consisted of battery railcars and/or push pull units powered by V100 diesels.

My current layout is “Woodstowe” and there are photos and some details of it under Layout Topics. Its another BLT to fiddle yard set up, but this time, ex GWR in BR days. Basically, it’s another “Heimdorf” set somewhere “west of Reading”! Perhaps I’ve regressed: the layout I built after I sold “Heimdorf” was much more imaginative and unconventional (at least to my mind). A 7mm narrow gauge layout, it had an incline and a sawmill which featured shunting by rope. It was exhibited at the New Horticultural Halls, Warley and at quite a few other shows up and down the country.

David C

• Like 1

Although I can clearly recall seeing David Jenkinson's Garsdale road at Central Hall (I spent several hours in total standing in front of it so enthralled was I by it), a layout that alongside Buckingham, Borchester, and The Berrow Branch were my main sources of inspiration, and of course there was much change as the London Shows moved to the Horticultural Halls for a while, and then Wembley (as IMREX I seem to remember but may be wrong), I am fairly certain that Buckingham never featured in any show in any format during those times, the 60's/70's. Indeed, I have always been under the impression that when Leighton Buzzard was brought up to town for the MRJ bash that was the first time any of it had been viewed by the general public for a very long time if I remember the publicity correctly. Perhaps my memory is also at fault here, but I don't think I would have forgotton something as significant as seeing some part of Buckingham in the flesh before this happened.

Izzy

I have a vague recollection of reading something in RM in the 80s about Buckingham going to Central Hall for a "very definitely one-off appearance" - unfortunately all the 80s RMs are back at my parents'!

• RMweb Premium

I have a vague recollection of reading something in RM in the 80s about Buckingham going to Central Hall for a "very definitely one-off appearance" - unfortunately all the 80s RMs are back at my parents'!

I've done a bit of back reading on this; According to the preview for the 1990 MRJ show, "Central Hall was the last place it was seen before retirement nearly forty years ago".

That would seem to coincide with Peter Denny's move to Cornwall and the permanent installation of Bukingham in the vicarage which took place in 1956.  

Once permanently installed and extended, Leighton Buzzard (Mk 1) was built as a portable section to fit obove the mainline storage sidings, and Peter states that LB was taken to the Central Hall in 1958.

There was a separate loco depot diorama built that wasnt part of the main layout, and again according to the books this was shown at the Central Hall in 1959.

I havent found any references to further exhibitions after that date.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

You may be thinking of the MRJ Exhibition, it was in November 1990 at Central Hall.

Izzy