Süd Harz in 1:22 scale

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

This layout portrays what might be if the HSB succeeds in opening part of the Süd Harz line on the old trackbed and what a reopened Brunnensbach-muhle Station might look like. The success of the re-gauged, ex standard gauge, line to Quedlingburg proved it was potentially viable.

There were three proposals made to re-open a line to Braunlage and the proposed routes can be found on google maps. One was using the original formation from Sorge via Brunnesbach and two others were using an alternative proposal for a shorter completely new line.

I've been building this for some time and the ideas behind the dual purpose are covered in this thread on the shorter UK version.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25041-the-tc-light-railway-company/page-2

Here's the latest progress with the backscene experiment made using a 6x2ft outdoor banner photo printed.

post-6968-0-17385200-1360307659.jpg

the temporary frame to support the test.

post-6968-0-05620700-1360307746.jpg

and the essential trabby found on ebay

post-6968-0-71706500-1360307808.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little more progress ready for the Wimborne show in April.

Thanks to a friend I got two Trabants off ebay, made by Road Signature, I decided to make one a load and resprayed the flat wagon from my start set that had been lying around for years.

post-6968-0-24662500-1361185872.jpg

post-6968-0-91707000-1361185884.jpg

I've extended the platform for the new bigger building which will also apply for the British alter ego, Camberwick, as that will get a stone building later in the year.

post-6968-0-43548400-1361185894.jpg

Finally the boarded crossings went in, these are recycled from Neils RhB layout Klein Arosa where he had a fully boarded track in tha station, so I cut them down and widened them by one board as it seemed a shame to waste the nicely coloured wood.

post-6968-0-49287500-1361186177.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Well the 6ft extension took a year and I only spend a couple of hours every other week on it ;)

Lots of lessons learnt from Klein Arosa on how to do it so no dead ends wasting time. Space and money are the real challenges ;)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

First show completed and the layout ran well apart from one track section feed failing but a temporary fix survived the show and a new jumper wire will permanently fix it.

Overall shot with the info banners in place.

There's a lot more detailing to do and a load more trees to add plus the backscenes will extend to cover up to the end where the track goes off scene.

post-6968-0-88200600-1365408732.jpg

6001 the prototype 2-6-2 arriving from Braunlage, in my recreated Sud Harz they have built another 6 of these to cover the extra trains, (my excuse for having two!)

post-6968-0-46216300-1365408748.jpg

One of the big 2-10-2's crossing with a train from Sorge.

post-6968-0-74507400-1365408927.jpg

A van with supplies of beer for the Station cafe seen between the noses of two locos

post-6968-0-02281400-1365408945.jpg

The large, ex standard gauge, 199 diesel on a works train being overtaken by a passenger service.

post-6968-0-77513900-1365409001.jpg

Trains crossing, the station building is based on the real building and made from dense blue foam with coffee stirrer cladding.

post-6968-0-56303200-1365409059.jpg

Close up of the big 2-10-2

post-6968-0-13535400-1365409122.jpg

The Kof on a engineers working

post-6968-0-20951100-1365409168.jpg

post-6968-0-92010400-1365409269.jpg

Nice  one  Paul

But  please  stop  tempting  me  to  retrun to the  scale!!

I gave it  up after 30+ years  but  the  urge  keeps returning,

Mind  you  162+ of  snow here  very recently  doesnt  Help!!

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Saw this at Wimborne show yesterday - what a railway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were more trains running and action on this layout than a lot of the smaller scales - and everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves - well done.

I have to confess to thoughts of sticking one of those 2-10-2's under my arm and legging it  :yahoo: 

Nige. 

• RMweb Gold

There were more trains running and action on this layout than a lot of the smaller scales - and everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves - . . .

Glad we passed that test as the scenery isn't finished :)

I have to confess to thoughts of sticking one of those 2-10-2's under my arm and legging it

Didn't you see the tanks out front, my security detail :) :)

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I did a load more work but then the shed flooded and had to rip up and replace two boards grass, redo the wood cladding on the station and the roof as they were covered in mould. Repairs were made in time for the Shepton show, at least the stock is waterproof!

Brand new model the Trainline Harz Mallet, (a friends), on its first run.

post-6968-0-61895900-1392760305.jpg

post-6968-0-58750900-1392760401.jpg

post-6968-0-77418400-1392760416.jpg

post-6968-0-28107700-1392760428.jpg

Hi

What a lovely line and so redolent of the HSB which is one of my favourites. I would love to have one of the 2-10-2Ts but cannot run to one at the moment and I do not know if they are still in production. The full size ones are magnificent machines and you never hear a clank or squeak from them when they pass.

Very tempted to copy!

Regards

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Well the prototype 99 7222 is current production in the range in its present guise with the original look restored. Basically the large lump in front of the chimney is gone. Or you can wait til 2015 and get an HOm one from Tillig ;)

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found this, very nice. Hope to see it sometime.

As I don't have a garden for my railway anymore, I have been thinking of having double deck baseboards in my new railway room, OO on top, with G scale below.

• 1 month later...

Very tasty Paul - there's something very appealing about those big Harz tanks, and you can't beat a bit of large scale modelling - there's a real sense of mass and momentum that the smaller scales often struggle to portray. But how many coaches is that little 2-6-2T shifting? Impressive - that load would make it bark a bit up the hill to the Brocken!

Thanks for sharing the clips,

David

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thread...currently sitting in hotel room in Wernigerode after spending 5 days roaming the Hartz. We've seen a lot of 99(7)222, according to the CME of the railway it's the most reliable loco they have, also it's the only one left with bar frames, all the others have plate frames which have problems with cracking.

We had a tour of the works at Wernigerode while we were here, really well equipped and with expansion plans in place to be able to do more work in house rather than send the things to Meiningen or have bits made there.

Just 4 hours ago we were on a train from Eisfelder being hauled by 996001 which, due to a fresh snowfall was struggling for adhesion up the banks. On Sat we had a special up the Brocken with the Mallet which again was a bit of a struggle but we made it.

I have a funny feeling that when the Hom model of the 2-10-2 comes out it could well be the start of yet anothe very slippery slope....

• RMweb Gold

Yes the 2-6-2 is one if the new build for the reopened Süd Harz and has a few improvements derived from Portas work ;)

Phil, slippery? More like a full blown chasm, I think HSB might get rather popular.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a note that Süd Harz will be at Warley in November then retired and dismantled unless anyone wants it for the cost of replacing the track.

It lives at a friends and health problems means it's likely to lose this storage soon and I'm not paying to store it at commercial rates ;)

There will be a Süd Harz 2 in HOm so I can set up bits and actually run them at home ;)

• RMweb Premium

Now I've got a good reason to go to Warley. Would be interested to know more about how you made your buildings. I've just started building a G scale layout indoors with mainly HSB traction and rolling stock. It was in the garden at my previous house, but now I have no garden for it to go in, hence the move inside as I couldn't part with the stock.

• RMweb Gold

The building is made from blue craftfoam, it's a bit like a harder version of the floral foam. Much denser than insulation polystyrene sheets and can be carved with kitchen knifes, scalpels or a hotwire. I get it in packs from here (need to add VAT)

http://shop.panelsystems.co.uk/craftfoam/modelling-foam/craft-foam-blue.html

and it's made five G scale buildings from about six sheets.

You can find it in some architectural model suppliers like 4D in London if you want a single sheet. It might seem expensive but I store the offcuts and make wargame scenery blocks, all the landscaping on my Lulworth OO layout and various other little carved models.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul, that blue craftfoam looks very reasonable compared with the cost of G-scale building kits. I'll have to decide whether to try and salvage the buildings that were outside for 10 years, or scratchbuild new ones.

Would you mind telling me what you used for ballast? My new layout should be portable, but if I used stone chippings I wouldn't be able to carry the baseboards.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

My ballast is potting grit and yes quite heavy. The foam can be layered for relief and stone or brickwork can just be drawn on firmly with a pencil to create the indentations. I use pva glue to hold it pinned with either cocktail sticks or pins to strengthen joins. I know people who use the foam outdoors just painting it with outdoor paints to seal it and protect from the sun.

• 2 months later...

Just a note that Süd Harz will be at Warley in November then retired and dismantled unless anyone wants it for the cost of replacing the track.

It lives at a friends and health problems means it's likely to lose this storage soon and I'm not paying to store it at commercial rates ;)

There will be a Süd Harz 2 in HOm so I can set up bits and actually run them at home ;)

Archived