Bachmann On30 Spectrum range

Jeff Smith

I normally model in P4 but have an urge to build a small US On30 rtr layout.  What are peoples views and experience of the Bachmann Spectrum products?  I may also use it to introduce myself to DCC of which I am totally ignorant.. 

• RMweb Gold

I normally model in P4 but have an urge to build a small US On30 rtr layout.  What are peoples views and experience of the Bachmann Spectrum products?  I may also use it to introduce myself to DCC of which I am totally ignorant.. 

Chunky and a bit of a caricature, maybe, but quite fun. Some items can be good value. The steam locos tend to arrive with a few goodies, like different stacks (chimneys to you and me). Coaches are lit.  Bachmann has also realised that they can make their models look a little more realistic by lowering ride height, and offers affordable replacement frames for this - haven't tried these yet. The Shay has a reputation for some weakness in the gear-train, but my limited experience with one hasn't revealed that.

Mozzer Models of this parish has done some work on On30 stuff so you might want to look at his results, modifying this and that to advantage.

• RMweb Gold

The models are pretty accurate although of some obscure prototypes with some of the range which makes it a bit disjointed. I never really understood why they do the more classic DRGW stuff in G but not in the On30 range too, maybe trying to avoid stepping on the toes of pfm and MMI though they are in a completely different realm price wise.

They do some really nice Sandy River locos but nothing to go with them so none of it would allow you to model a certain line rtr. They are all good runners and quite easy to concert to On3, or as I have done to use the On3 couplers at the correct height to make them look better. (All you have to do is chop off the On30 coupler box and glue or screw the kadee to the bottom of the frame).

A visit to the Railroad Lines (www.railroad-line.com) is useful as they have a good On30 division. They are also realistic over some of the shortcomings of the Bachmann range.

Best, Pete.

Just been looking over the site - having difficulty registering - nevertheless some good stuff on there.

My objective is to basically do a quick RTR, possibly DCC layout that my grandson's HO will also run on despite the scale difference so it has to be 0n30 not 0n3.  So this brings me to the track, it seems to be either Peco Code 100 or Micro Engineering code 83.  I believe the Peco has smaller radius points and also a 'Y' point.  I may also want to run British outline 0-16.5 so the track has to accommodate both.

The ME C83 track and (two) points are good quality - though the rail itself has an awful yellow cast to it.... I always have a thing about Peco's "point blades" - too much metal lost.

Maybe a chance to build your own???

Best, Pete.

The ME C83 track and (two) points are good quality - though the rail itself has an awful yellow cast to it.... I always have a thing about Peco's "point blades" - too much metal lost.

Maybe a chance to build your own???

Best, Pete.

I think this yellowness is 'weathering'.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been an 0n30  since  their introduction  in the UK  many years  ago, I can thoroughly recommend the  range,

It is true that  there have been some issues  with gears on some locos over the years ( Shay, Climax, Railtruck &  Railbus)

But these have probably worked thro the  retail distribution by now.

From my experience the system  works well  the only locos  which need a little extra attention to maintain good running  are the Porter and Gas Mechanical IC loco

both these are 0-4-0s so naturally wheel and track cleaning is nescessary more frequently.

The models are pretty accurate although of some obscure prototypes with some of the range which makes it a bit disjointed. I never really understood why they do the more classic DRGW stuff in G but not in the On30 range.

Not really Paul, Bachmanns G scale range is also very disjointed. It has only one DRGW loco, the K27, the rest are a mixed bag, generic Baldwin consolidation and 4-6-0, Sandy Lakes ' Forney' , massively over scale GE 44 tonner, logging line 2-6-6-2T and a trio of geared locos. Add to that the fact that some are 1:20.3 and some 1:22.5.

It's nice looking stuff, and can run well, though some have suffered from gear problems.

I had  a  Large  scale  K27   for  a while  on my  garden  line  I sold  it  on  after  a few  months, it  was  abrilliant loco  and  sounded  great  with  a QSI  dound decoder  but  it  was  just  too big!

It was a pain to store  when not  running  and  the  required clearances  meant  that  I had to revise  a lot of my  line  ( I actually  didnt  do it  all as some of the work  required  was too extensive ) so away it  went.

Incidentally  the K27  is the only   Large  scale  loco I know  of  that has  a built in cooling  fan  to keep the motor  cool! 

PS  For  those  into 0n30  the  Heislers  are now in stock in the UK  but apparently  not yet in the USA  I got  one  from Tower models today

It  runs impeccably,  the sound  modules  have not yet arrived in the UK but are expected.

Apologies for the poor quality  photo!

post-10539-0-01150600-1361484476.jpg

Jeff, I've got some in front of me - it is NOT weathered but still a straw colour. Frankly the Atlas Nickel Silver rail is a better colour, particularly when "blackened". I've got examples in On30, HO and N - the best looking rail is Atlas C55 N - yeah, I know, it surprised me too....

Cheers, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Not really Paul, Bachmanns G scale range is also very disjointed. It has only one DRGW loco, the K27, the rest are a mixed bag, generic Baldwin consolidation and 4-6-0, Sandy Lakes ' Forney' , massively over scale GE 44 tonner, logging line 2-6-6-2T and a trio of geared locos. Add to that the fact that some are 1:20.3 and some 1:22.5.

It's nice looking stuff, and can run well, though some have suffered from gear problems.

Well with the K27 and C16 available in G there's two of the core locos you'd need in On30 ;)

Similarly I wonder why they didn't do the bigger 'American' 4-4-0 in On30 as the classic and slightly gaudy liveries would surely attract more than the small plain black 4-4-0's they've done. They look superb in G and match the shorty coaches well that they do in O for anyone who might fancy a line based on the stuff see in many films. Eureka and others were planned by MMI but I think the massive price put off pre orders and the dodgy electrical problems on the earlier K series.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Hi All,

I have to admit that I got into 0 narrow gauge as a result of the Bachmann Spectrum range. I wouldnt go as far as calling them caricatures, perhaps British eyes are not used to seeing what is to them larger narrow gauge locomotives. To my New Zealand eyes I see a lot of 009 models as caricatures but I guess thats what our individual eyes get used to seeing. Remember we had n.g 4-8-4s here in NZ. And, I know that Cape gauge is often referred to as medium gauge rather than narrow gauge.

Apart from that I see them as a very valuable source of modelling fodder around which I build locomotives and rolling stock for my freelanced coal branch line set on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island, all run extremely smoothly straight out of the box and those fitted with DCC and sound run even smoother.

I moved from NZR S scale narrow gauge to freelance 0 scale as my eyesight deteriorated and I find 1:48 a great size to work in.

My main line is all ME code 83 flex track. It is well detailed and even with our weak NZ dollar good value. My yards and yard points are all Code 70 hand laid on PC board sleepers.

I deal mostly with a fellow called John Weigel and you'll find him on his web site at www.peterbororr.com. The best UK narrow gauge supplier is Paul Martin at NG Trains IMHO.

I scratch build all my structures and am at the point of nearly completing a fleet of 20 bogie coal wagons out of styrene, and have done several locomotive conversions.

Regards

Hi Jeff, Bachmann O30? go for it!

I have had, over time, run all the Bachmann locos and I have to say that the build quality and running qualities are incredible - even the tiny little Gas Mechanical

However, the Baldwin 2-8-0s don't like first radius curves or pointwork, they WILL go around but they kind of 'hop'!

If I was to avoid any, it would be the Thorney - the sliding rear bogie idea is an absolute pain and kept derailing.

Anyway, and like all American wheel sizes, I think they've gone a bit to far with the scale hairline wheel flanges - great to look at but don't sneeze, everything derails!! - and your track needs to be perfectly flat.

The other thing Jeff, is not to try and pull one apart! - I did, it was an 0-4-0 porter and wished I hadn't and the worst thing was that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it - I was just curios...

The Shays are truly amazing, but just keep your eye on the drive shafts and drive shaft couplings, - very intricate but usually no problem.

Rolling stock? you just won't better it and pound for pound, you've got a bargain.

You won't go wrong.

Mr Bachmann... er I mean Allan.

I have my first rolling stock and motive power in the form of a second hand Baldwin 2-6-0 tender with three coaches - Narrow Gauge Express Train Set, Pennsylvania RR red livery and a yellow caboose bought on eBay - all due for repaints.  I also have a Micro Engineering 0n30 code 83 point and a Peco 0-16.5 code 100 point.  So with the aid of photocopied templates and a 24" trammel I am track-planning.

I was initially inspired by this web-site so plan an 8'x4' oval with centre backscene, US 0n30 on one side and Welsh (GVR based) 0-16.5 on the other, and obviously with through running. http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/on30/beginner/

The ME points are longer than the Peco although the same radius.  Peco could make for a more compact track plan as a curve can commence closer to the point but the code 100 rail and sleeper spacing is a bit too big for On30.  The instructions with ME point suggests that you can introduce slight curves by cutting sleepers - has anyone tried this?

Jeff

From one who has over 10 years of working with the Bachmann range (and other in 0n30) and having done a few major rebuilds utilising their chassis and so on please let me offer a few points of advice.

1.  Bachmann has, on their US website, downloadable assembly sheets for each locomotive. This should help you when it comes to disassembling them and putting them bach together.

2,  Unless you absolutely have to, do not go below a 20" minimum radius. Sure the set track they supply is 18" but you will get better running. My minimum is in a part of my yard where I could fit nothing else is 22" but mostly I'm in the 30 - 40 inch range. A benefit of the larger curves is the immediately improved look and performanceyou get when running trains.

3. Bachmann have an easily replacable cowcather from buffer (pilot) unit with an operating Kadee coupler installed. Its a 20 minute job to swap it over and they you're in business for any shunting you may wish to do.

4. Bachmann have adopted the NMRA HO standard RP25 profile for their wheels that WILL operate on all but the crappiest track. My track is either handlaid or I use lengths of ME Code 83 flex for my main line.

5. Keep asking questions of those who have been down this road and actually done some work with the models. Avoid the know-it-alls who frequent the web groups and do no modelling.

But most of all enjoy your narrow gauge modelling

Regards

Archived