Class 67 no1 end

Sultan

• RMweb Gold

Probably a really stupid question and I apologise in advance if it is but, apart from the obvious necessity to be able separately identify each of the two cabs of a locomotive, are there actually any differences between a No 1 end and a No 2 end?

Is there something specific that makes one end the No 1? Does one of the ends have any additional functions e.g perhaps in engine (or other systems) control or monitoring that makes it the main end in any way?

If this has been discussed before again i apologise but I did search here and on Google and couldn't find anything. Just curious.

• RMweb Gold

on MOST uk locos No 1 end is the "fan end" and No2 is the electrical end, cab control wise they are normally identical with the various air and electrical bits and bobs being housed in the engine room at the appropriate end, however on a 67s the electrical gubbins and most of the air doowackies (technical names) are in cabinets in the rear cab bulkheads to save entering the engine room if you need to isolate or trip something

class 20s have a No1 and No2 desk in the cab

there are other various anomolies such as twin engined locos which im sure others can explain as im not familiar with those

Another difference between the EMDs and "normal" British locos is the "slave" cab radio. Normal locos have a radio in each cab, but EMDs have just one radio with a slave radio in the other cab.

• RMweb Premium

In the US, the convention (*) is that no1 end is the cab and no2 is the cooler group at the other end - that's why the 66/67 have no2 end as the cooler group, being of US design.

* I believe NS or SP used to be different as they usually ran with cab trailing - allegedly on the grounds of more protection for the crew.

Cheers,

Mick

The major difference between the canb on a 66 is the size - No.1 end is slightly bigger than No.2 end, with two internal doors, and only a single, centrally placed door at No.2 end. No.1 end also has the access panels on the bulkhead for relay switches etc.

Is there something specific that makes one end the No 1? Does one of the ends have any additional functions e.g perhaps in engine (or other systems) control or monitoring that makes it the main end in any way?

I think that the need for a No1/No2 ends is something to do with needing to know which end is the "front" for gearboxes/reverser? I.e. forward is foward in no. 1 cab but forward is reverse in no. 2 cab???

In the US, the convention (*) is that no1 end is the cab and no2 is the cooler group at the other end - that's why the 66/67 have no2 end as the cooler group, being of US design.

* I believe NS or SP used to be different as they usually ran with cab trailing - allegedly on the grounds of more protection for the crew.

NS and Southern always used to run with the long nose forward, as you say for more protection. Having had a quick look at my UP C44-9W, it's got a "F" (for front?) on the front left corner of the framing by the steps...

Phil

Archived