Guided Busway buses crash

I am pleased the injuries are minor. Having read the report I note that "Diversions are in place". Presumably this means via a different route altogether, because AFAIK there is no facility for buses to overtake in the guided busway. This is a scenario that critics always had for the scheme when it was first mooted. 

Maybe they should install signals and Absolute Block working (and rails)?

Or at least a driver reminder/alertness device (whatever it's called). It must be easy to be lulled into a false sense of security "knowing" there won't be anything to slow you down until the next stop.

I've asked this before, I'll ask again?

The guided busway was built - logically - as a "guided way", ie a railway in a different physical form, so is not/cannot be a road? In which case, does/should "railway" legislation apply, should there be a proper accident report done?

Stewart

"Ms Murray said she saw people who looked like they had broken their noses and she took herself to the doctors after having neck pains." She did what? BBC English has suffered, it seems....

Laying the ground for a nice compo claim, perhaps? :scratchhead:

Mark

It's not a railway but it has similarities to a tramway - the vehicles are driven on line of sight without block signals, so should always be going slowly enough to stop short of an obstruction.  For whatever reason that doesn't seem to have happened...

It's not a railway but it has similarities to a tramway - the vehicles are driven on line of sight without block signals, so should always be going slowly enough to stop short of an obstruction.  For whatever reason that doesn't seem to have happened...

And I suppose it could be argued that if the driver doesn't have to concentrate on steering, he/she only needs to watch out for red lights in front and plan to stop at them.

• RMweb Gold

Permissive working? I think every mile I've driven a car in the last 40 years required me to stop short of an obstruction - my insurer would prefer it that way.

Tramways manage with driving on sight, don't see supertrams running into each other and when they do an emergency stop for a dreamy pedestrian they stop dead.

i suspect tram drivers have a different level of training/ different temperament to bus drivers

Tramways manage with driving on sight, don't see supertrams running into each other and when they do an emergency stop for a dreamy pedestrian they stop dead.

i suspect tram drivers have a different level of training/ different temperament to bus drivers

Bus drivers?  ...I mean they don't have to steer, or change gear, use indicators so what's left?  Eeh lad, I remember when't steering were that heavy we used to ask passengers to sit at back.... I had arms like an arangutan, changing gear was ruddy lottery, and stopping a bus was like stopping a ship...

Bus drivers?  ...I mean they don't have to steer, or change gear, use indicators so what's left?  Eeh lad, I remember when't steering were that heavy we used to ask passengers to sit at back.... I had arms like an arangutan, changing gear was ruddy lottery, and stopping a bus was like stopping a ship...

There is the important difference that trams cannot swerve to avoid an obstruction, and even with track brakes they can't stop as quickly as other road vehicles, so between the design of the tramway and the training of the drivers there needs to be a lot of consideration of possible hazards (I've been involved in some of it).  Modern trams have indicators too! 

The busway is legally a private road, so theoretically subject only to whatever regulations the owner (Cambridgeshire County Council?) choses to impose, which should include some form of safe method of working such as minimum following distance behind another vehicle...

There are occasionally similar accidents on Melbourne's tram system. They do cause major disruptions because nothing can move behind the accident scene.

Our trams do have magnetic track brakes for emergency stops and these can stop a tram within its own length. However, with a tram full of passengers, they don't dare use those brakes as there would be more injuries than if they just hit the (usually movable) object in front, particularly if it is 'only' a car!

Archived