Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

I can get a digger in yes but I dont have the cash to pay for one. The money it costs to hire one would get me the whole foundations and wall framing.

Have a shop round on that mini digger mate. Used to be able to pick one up for around 100 notes for a weekend. And this isn't a joke. If you need someone to drive it I'll gladly come and do it. Used to be in the building trade before I joined the railway. Used to drive a full size JCB.

Marcus

Try Hewden or HSS or maybe even Jewsons. I used to use a local Hire centre who were very reasonable. You only need something like a 1 tonne or 1 1/2 at the biggest. I'll do a google for Chesterfield and see what I can find.

Cheers

Marcus

Quick piccy update. Yellow and blue on the 31. Needs a gloss coat now to smooth things over a bit and give a base for the cantrail stripe lining decals and br logo and numbers. Ill then flatten it back and start adding panel lines, paint distress and weathering. The final stage will be hand cut glazing wipers and wire door handrails. A bit to go but hopefully worth the effort! Just got to decide on a number now!!

post-6894-0-03405200-1432235053_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 15

A few Pete. I dont have any more yet but I aim to get at another 31, at least 2 more 47s, a pair of 20s, an 08 and possibly a 56 in addition to various dmus. I clearly need a fare bit of stock for MD.

Im pretty pleased with how the 31 has come on using the older model as a base. A much easier way to get a refurbished loco than trying to convert the new tooled one. Much cheaper and arguably more fun too.

• Like 1

Hi Cav,

The Ped looks good, choose your number carefully as there was plenty of variation with grilles and headlights on the 31/4s. I am planning on doing one at some point I just need to find one which had the orange cantrail painted on in 1986.

Cheers Peter.

A few Pete. I dont have any more yet but I aim to get at another 31, at least 2 more 47s, a pair of 20s, an 08 and possibly a 56 in addition to various dmus. I clearly need a fare bit of stock for MD.

Im pretty pleased with how the 31 has come on using the older model as a base. A much easier way to get a refurbished loco than trying to convert the new tooled one. Much cheaper and arguably more fun too.

The Tutbury Jinny has a goodish selection of older  new and second hand Farish and Minitrix Locos, as well as the new Farish and Dapol Fleets of wagons and coaches, I think the only thing they don't have is the newer Mk1's, as there like gold dust.

The Tutbury Jinny has a goodish selection of older  new and second hand Farish and Minitrix Locos, as well as the new Farish and Dapol Fleets of wagons and coaches, I think the only thing they don't have is the newer Mk1's, as there like gold dust.

Cheers Andy may well be worth a look.

Hi Cav,

The Ped looks good, choose your number carefully as there was plenty of variation with grilles and headlights on the 31/4s. I am planning on doing one at some point I just need to find one which had the orange cantrail painted on in 1986.

Cheers Peter.

Yes indeed they are a potential minefield. I wont be doing anything without research dont worry. Been hitting the ewok flickr group a bit as I want a parcels sector one really as it will be used on the parcels trains primarily and on short local stints much as the real ones were. I need a none headlight one which were common in '88.

Cheers George. Its railmatch blue and precision warning yellow. Ive thinned them with white spirit which Ive started to do lately as its much cheaper than enamel thinners and works exactly the same.

You do realise that you talking modern history here. As others have said Bill Hudsons book "Through Limestone Hills"  ISBN 0 86093 217 6 is the definitive text with drawings of most of the station structures from Ambergate through to Chinley. It is however as rare as hen's teeth - but well worth a search on Abe Books (aka Amazon for wrinklies) or Oxfam ( who are getting a lot of good stuff as codgers such as myself are called to the scrap yard in the sky- they understand the value of the books being donated unlike many other charity shops and railway books can searched on their web site). Bibliophile Books is also worth a look.

Equally worth a look are books by John M Bentley published by Foxline and later Booklaw. Greg Fox in creating Foxline set a benchmark for others to follow in terms of content and price accessibility.  

Look for J M Bentley Foxline Scenes from the Past 2 "The Railways around Buxton" ISBN 1 870119 01 0 published in 1987. He then went on to write Scenes from the Past 7"The Railway from Buxton to Bakewell.Matlock and Ambergate" and latterly following Booklaws adoption of Greg's Foxline books - Over the Peak Parts 1 & 2 ISBNs 978 1 907094 65 1 - ISBN 978 1 909625 00 6.

Keith Miles Foxline Book Scenes from the Past 44 "Rowsley Motive Power Depot" is also worth a look - Foxline ISBN 1 870119 72 X

With regards to architecture Chinley is not a good example to follow in that the latter was completely rebuilt as part of the 1905 expansion including to Gowholes to Heaton Mersey cut-off. Chinley was rebuilt from pre-fabricated  timber kits. Millers Dale was rebuilt at the same time but only the western platforms - the original station on stone, the bit you are modelling remained as seen in the pictures remained untouched. If you have a chance to visit the area - Bakewell Station Building is still extant and would probably fit better into the scale of things.

I have not seen Bill Hudson at his regular exhibition haunts for a while but his team still turn up. If only there was some publisher willing to republish "Through Limestone Hills" - if only

Yes Ive managed to get hold of a copy of limestone hills. Oddly it has great scale drawings of pretty much every station and lineside building on the route save for Millers Dale which has nothing in there!! Some decent pics and background info though. I have just picked up over the peak part 2 which is pretty good and has some further pics of the area. I do get to visit there often as I only live about 30 mins drive away. The existing buildings are great and I should have no problem replicating them. The only issue I have is the buildings on platform 2 which no longer exist and thete are very few photos of, none of which are good ones. I really ought to try to replicate them but I do have an option of a possible modernisation of the buildings on that platform following the premise of the station restructure?

Cheers Jo. Feel free to steal any ideas you like. Thats what makes sites like this great. In honesty seeing you doing yours gave me a kind of pre run to see what I wanted to do really. Cutting in the door handrail grooves and not cutting out the side windows being two things.

• Like 1

The station buildings at Millers Dale were demolished sometime after station closed in March 1967 but before the route closed in 1968. The canopy over the up fast platform had also been removed at the same time.

I presume this was too early for anyone to measure them up.