Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

CARLISLE BUILDINGS Photo Restoration

Alan, your cheque is in the post, your comments are worded exactly as I told you to word them, there's an extra tenner in it cause it sounds really convincing lol :-)

Peter

Don't believe him Allan, my cheque still hasn't arrived after praising his work some weeks ago....

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk

thanks re your comments, very much appreciated, its incredible that since starting this thread, how many people live or associate with the place in some way.

Absolutely great, my claim to the building is back in the late 1980's while on a YTS scheme and it was still a functioning Hotel I helped put the Fire alarm system in that... well helped as in ran some cables about and made tea....

:boast:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Amazing work, I pass the station everyday on my way to work. The model railway must be huge is there a thread for the layout??

Also a facebook page called 'Historic Carlisle' has got got some photo's of your work and it has stirred up alot of interest by locals!

Hi Paddy,

many thanks for your kind appreciative comments, there is no dedicated layout thread, at least for the moment, maybe at some point in the future, I am just posting up architectural models but next in the pipeline for Carlisle is a Coaler.

Do you have a link to the Historic site, sounds interesting.

cheers

Peter A L

Hi Peter,

Its a face book page called 'Old Carlisle' mis heard my wife saying it was called 'Historic Carlisle'

www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Carlisle/125490877494060?fref=ts.

I look forward to seeing the coaler. Is it going to be Upperby sheds monster coaler?

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

many thanks for your kind appreciative comments, there is no dedicated layout thread, at least for the moment, maybe at some point in the future, I am just posting up architectural models but next in the pipeline for Carlisle is a Coaler.

Do you have a link to the Historic site, sounds interesting.

cheers

Peter A L

Can't wait Peter, another masterpiece coming up ?

Cheers.

Allan

Hi Paddy,

thanks for the link, re coaler, yes, I think it is Upperby.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

I look forward to seeing work on the Coaler and perhaps in the future even more buildings etc that go with Upperby depot, I live on a crescent which overlooks the old site and have an interest in engine depots / sheds, luckily for me I am surrounded by old railwaymen that I often chat too regarding Carlisle's railway "Glory days!"

Before we move on to the coaling plant, some pictures of the hotel in it's current state. Very sad to see a building like this going to ruin.

Hi Mike

your so right another part of our city's past left to ruin, so typical of our council. It'll probably be replaced with yet another supermarket.

Paddy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

I look forward to seeing work on the Coaler and perhaps in the future even more buildings etc that go with Upperby depot, I live on a crescent which overlooks the old site and have an interest in engine depots / sheds, luckily for me I am surrounded by old railwaymen that I often chat too regarding Carlisle's railway "Glory days!"

We already have a lot of the buildings for Upperby, only part of the shed yard is on the layout, compressed and altered. The scale section ends at St Nicholas bridge, South from here it gets a bit imaginary as the line curves round the end of the room. Any information on the Upperby coaler would be very welcome, in particular how the coal was delivered to the bottom of the elevator. There doesn't seem to be a tippler here and not all the wagons are hoppers.

We already have a lot of the buildings for Upperby, only part of the shed yard is on the layout, compressed and altered. The scale section ends at St Nicholas bridge, South from here it gets a bit imaginary as the line curves round the end of the room. Any information on the Upperby coaler would be very welcome, in particular how the coal was delivered to the bottom of the elevator. There doesn't seem to be a tippler here and not all the wagons are hoppers.

Hi Michael

I'm about to go to work at the moment, but will try and get to speak to someone about it more tomorrow during dogwalking!!

I know that the coaler type was a Bowen-Cooke 'elevator' coaling plant with a 30T bunker.

If Peter or yourself have access to 'LMS Engine sheds' part 1 (The LNWR) there is a photo of Upperbys in there, and various other's from different depots that shared the same type of coaler. I haven't got a scanner at home but will endeavor to get some photo's to yourself.

I

It was the Central Hotel when I was a lad. Used to work part time in Woolworths opposite and would often 'lunch' in the cellar bar which was under the hotel, it was nicknamed the Dive and was ropey even in the mid/late 1970's.  I think there was an separate entrance either from the front by means of some steps near the main entrance or down the East side.  Can't remember going through the hotel reception.

If great models are created to invoke great memories - this really hits the mark for me.

Simon        

Kingmoorkid, Could your entrance to the 'Cellar Bar' have been through the arch way to the left of the hotel frontage?

I agree with your comment about that this layout is invoking great memories, especially as I can remember Carlisle pre-electrification.

Hi good people,

Yes, there is an entrance to the left, a curving walkway, which is also modelled but not shown in the photos as I still have this part at my home with a view of it being attached on site at a later date.

I must point out that this walkway was extremely tricky to do, as not having the viaduct to hand to work from adjacent to the hotel, the angles, it sloping down and curving.

I temporally attached the said piece to the side of the Hotel at rd level and to the Angle of the Viaduct I had on a template from Mike Edge before painting and a cut/try/fit session  ensued until I got it as perfect as was possible ready to be fixed in place.

Alan, the carving on the fluted pillars were formed from DAS, whilst still wet, using a blunt craft knife, I did however lightly draw the pattern on the DAS as a guide with an EDDING 005 pen before indentation.

cheers

Peter

Hi good people,

Yes, there is an entrance to the left, a curving walkway, which is also modelled but not shown in the photos as I still have this part at my home with a view of it being attached on site at a later date.

I must point out that this walkway was extremely tricky to do, as not having the viaduct to hand to work from adjacent to the hotel, the angles, it sloping down and curving.

I temporally attached the said piece to the side of the Hotel at rd level and to the Angle of the Viaduct I had on a template from Mike Edge before painting and a cut/try/fit session  ensued until I got it as perfect as was possible ready to be fixed in place.

Alan, the carving on the fluted pillars were formed from DAS, whilst still wet, using a blunt craft knife, I did however lightly draw the pattern on the DAS as a guide with an EDDING 005 pen before indentation.

cheers

Peter

A sculptor as well no less Peter !

Brilliant guitarist, briliant model maker, now a brilliant sculptor - what else Peter ? - no, don't tell me !!

Cheers mate.

Allan.