Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

19 hours ago, davidw said:

The wide top band were I think restricted to those with deeper solebars rostered for the Capitals/Elizabethan. 

The digging that I've done suggests that Thompson corridor coaches did have the top lined when in crimson cream. Brakes weren't lined at the top. Gresley coaches weren't lined at the top but there was little room.

I've just had a skim through "Elizabethan Express" and although most (if not all) the train formation footage is of Thompson stock in crimson/cream, some of the non-brake LNER coaches have a narrow top band of crimson (with gold/black lining) and others don't - eg. at 2m38s one coach with square-cornered windows has no top band/lining, but the next one with round-cornered windows does !  There are also "continuity" issues, in that it's not exactly the same train in every shot - most have the leading coach as a Thompson BCK (TC for Aberdeen, I think) but at least one later shot shows the leading coach as a Thompson BG with the deeper top crimson band.

It's probably my all-time favourite railway film - it's a wonderful period piece with all sorts of detail to be savoured, including Fireman Mungo's polished shoes... apart that is from the excruciating McGonagall-esque poetry-commentary, but I suppose it was "of its time".

Alasdair

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, AJCT said:

I've just had a skim through "Elizabethan Express" and although most (if not all) the train formation footage is of Thompson stock in crimson/cream, some of the non-brake LNER coaches have a narrow top band of crimson (with gold/black lining) and others don't - eg. at 2m38s one coach with square-cornered windows has no top band/lining, but the next one with round-cornered windows does !  There are also "continuity" issues, in that it's not exactly the same train in every shot - most have the leading coach as a Thompson BCK (TC for Aberdeen, I think) but at least one later shot shows the leading coach as a Thompson BG with the deeper top crimson band.

It's probably my all-time favourite railway film - it's a wonderful period piece with all sorts of detail to be savoured, including Fireman Mungo's polished shoes... apart that is from the excruciating McGonagall-esque poetry-commentary, but I suppose it was "of its time".

Alasdair

There's an exceptional copy on you tube that has been AI enhanced. On a 40in TV or bigger there's a remarkable difference 

• Thanks 1

There was an article in Model Railway Constructor in April 1964 with drawings for the Thompson coaches.  https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDyfNFf

There is an aside about some windows being square conered and other round cornered to minimise damage from condensation.  As regards painting the article states: 

Later, the B.R. crimson lake and cream livery was used on this
stock, but, unlike other regions' coaches, there was no top band of
crimson lake, the cream being taken up to the roof on most
vehicles. Some at least of the full brakes, however, did sport a top
crimson band on a level with the toplights. Most, if not all,
coaches are now in the B.R. maroon livery. Nevertheless, "teak',
livery survived for a long time on a few vehicles. One, a full third,
No. 1499, was still in teak in 1957. The "L.N.E.R." had been
painted out but the L.N.E.R.-style numbers had been merely
supplemented with Gill Sans "E" prefix and suffix.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

There was an article in Model Railway Constructor in April 1964 with drawings for the Thompson coaches.  https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDyfNFf

There is an aside about some windows being square conered and other round cornered to minimise damage from condensation.  As regards painting the article states: 

Later, the B.R. crimson lake and cream livery was used on this
stock, but, unlike other regions' coaches, there was no top band of
crimson lake, the cream being taken up to the roof on most
vehicles. Some at least of the full brakes, however, did sport a top
crimson band on a level with the toplights. Most, if not all,
coaches are now in the B.R. maroon livery. Nevertheless, "teak',
livery survived for a long time on a few vehicles. One, a full third,
No. 1499, was still in teak in 1957. The "L.N.E.R." had been
painted out but the L.N.E.R.-style numbers had been merely
supplemented with Gill Sans "E" prefix and suffix.

Yes, thanks for the link - I have hard-copy of that issue in my "attic archive", and can recall the turn of phrase used - that's what I was thinking of when I wrote yesterday's post.

Full brake with deep upper crimson band - this one has the valances - also note the Thompson open on the right with the upper crimson band too:

51497071983_02dc3009fe_b.jpg60154_Doncaster_early-1950s by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

No upper crimson band on this BG, which is one without the valances:

14418000288_0575cc9853_b.jpg55217_ThorntonJct_22-4-57 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Brakes without the upper crimson band:

51771049989_66ac875486_b.jpg60911_Rickmansworth_1-11-57 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

6238389067_1ffe5a0e05_b.jpgV2 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

12256853385_4f6e13378c_b.jpg60048_ChalonersWhin_4-8-57 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This is a 3-compartment one:

12257433596_f7f2f6b6e3_b.jpg60151_York_24-3-57 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Some other stock with the band:

5941370870_e054cf455f_b.jpg61558 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

51991490450_fe1e0bc8b5_b.jpgE1106E_Craigentinny_12-4-54 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Leading one here is SC13834E:

20040839369_06228030ca_b.jpg68929_Harringay_1953 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Wonderful pics, Robert - thanks for posting.  Don't suppose you have the running number for the BG in the Thornton Jn pic?

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Supplementary question !
  • Agree 1

Here's a couple of examples of  Thompson mods.

These two are based on older tooled vehicles, which have been extensively reworked. I ve done a a few on newer retooled versions but at the price of these vehicles, the work is not for the faint hearted!IMG_20240402_092712.jpg.d4a5f537d22b1735feda252aa095058f.jpg

The Kitchen car is complete. The open 1st is far from complete.

The work under taken involved reworking the roof, and then reapplying the rain strips and destination holders. a section of body to mount the Southern Pride sides. Underframe has been cut out on the kitchen car not yet on the open car. 

If I went further I'd replace / cut down the corridor connector which is too high. 

It's  a lot of work but worth it.

Note in the picture the open car is partially in shade the colour is the same throughout 

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2024 at 22:46, AJCT said:

Wonderful pics, Robert - thanks for posting.  Don't suppose you have the running number for the BG in the Thornton Jn pic?

Alasdair

Sorry, no it's not readable even on the master scan.

• Thanks 1