Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe a trip to Ian Allan Birmingham is on the horizon to see what is left on the table. :laugh:

Jason

Crikey, that's a brave statement........... 

• Funny 2

It's alright, the Bargain Hunter thread police probably aren't in this thread.  :jester:

I'm mainly after some teak ones, but with BR numbers. If you look at early 1950s trains they are quite common still. So I'm thinking of getting a handful and altering them. I'm assuming the E is the same size as the one in the LNER. They probably just used up old transfers.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, davidw said:

Maroon portholes are imminent. Speaking to the Bachmann rep at Bristol show. They expect to do maroon Thompson's though they've not yet been announced

How long did we wait for maroon portholes? 

David,

One of my friends retains the Bachmann catalogues and noted that the LMS Porthole coaches were first announced in 2011. After 8 years the maroon versions will appear for the first time.  Maroon Thompson's? - Heaven only knows.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 years later...
32 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Shouldn't most of the maroon versions have rounded corners to the windows?

P

No not true. I think earlier in this thread that was debunked there was video footage. Showing square windowed maroon stock. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this video

https://youtu.be/cl4pJwcE7JI

About 2 min in image is just moving but clear enough. There are photos too of square windows some online. The curved fillets were only applied to some and not all. 

Images

https://www.google.com/search?q=Thompson+coaches&client=ms-android-motorola-rvo3&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjkma3D-877AhWJh1wKHaVXCb0Q_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=412&bih=784&dpr=1.75#imgrc=0AnC8B9OfuByVM&imgdii=O_MefLugdT3qEM

Hope that helps. Click on the image to visit each site

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Shouldn't most of the maroon versions have rounded corners to the windows?

P

2 hours ago, davidw said:

I think this video

https://youtu.be/cl4pJwcE7JI

About 2 min in image is just moving but clear enough. There are photos too of square windows some online. The curved fillets were only applied to some and not all. 

Images

https://www.google.com/search?q=Thompson+coaches&client=ms-android-motorola-rvo3&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjkma3D-877AhWJh1wKHaVXCb0Q_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=412&bih=784&dpr=1.75#imgrc=0AnC8B9OfuByVM&imgdii=O_MefLugdT3qEM

Hope that helps. Click on the image to visit each sight 

So far as I know, the earlier built coaches with square cornered windows stayed like that, and the later built ones had windows with curved corners.  In other words, the earlier ones weren't subsequently modified in the way that Mark 1 coach window frames were (for example).  Whether or not more were built with curved corners than square, I don't know....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 31A said:

So far as I know, the earlier built coaches with square cornered windows stayed like that, and the later built ones had windows with curved corners.  In other words, the earlier ones weren't subsequently modified in the way that Mark 1 coach window frames were (for example).  Whether or not more were built with curved corners than square, I don't know....

Thanks for the clarification 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hope that helps.

Thanks. The photo's I have in my own collection must be an unrepresentative sample as they show predominantly round cornered windows.

Regading the film snow. I always thought the Thompson shown had round windows. Maybe it's my eyes?

Thompson-Snow_1963.jpg.1b4799a18796dff70fe76886571fc506.jpg

• 4 months later...
38 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

Received my set of 6 today.

Both 34-387 and 34-387A have the same running number rather than different as advertised.
No drama to me, but I wonder if anyone else has found this?

Does the maroon match the maroon of the Mk1s?

5 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Received my set of 6 today.

Both 34-387 and 34-387A have the same running number rather than different as advertised.
No drama to me, but I wonder if anyone else has found this?

34-387 should be  E1029E; 34-387A should be E1435E - which number are the ones you've been sent?

13 hours ago, andyman7 said:

34-387 should be  E1029E; 34-387A should be E1435E - which number are the ones you've been sent?

Both are E1435E.

The box labels are correctly marked 34-387/34-387A, therefore no fault of the shop in that sense, but obviously either a packing or manufacturing error at Bachmann's end.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, davidw said:

Does the maroon match the maroon of the Mk1s?

I'm afraid I'm not at "home" at the moment so don't have a Bachmann Mk1 to hand.

These are the first new generation Thompson coaches I've bought and I'm impressed with the finish and detail, decent weight as well.

Enclosed are a couple of snaps of the SK and CK from my half dozen. I ordered mine from Peter's Spares.

20230401_132027.jpg

20230401_132037.jpg

20230401_132048.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

I'm afraid I'm not at "home" at the moment so don't have a Bachmann Mk1 to hand.

These are the first new generation Thompson coaches I've bought and I'm impressed with the finish and detail, decent weight as well.

Enclosed are a couple of snaps of the SK and CK from my half dozen. I ordered mine from Peter's Spares.

20230401_132027.jpg

20230401_132037.jpg

20230401_132048.jpg

Thanks for the picks

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Both are E1435E.

The box labels are correctly marked 34-387/34-387A, therefore no fault of the shop in that sense, but obviously either a packing or manufacturing error at Bachmann's end.

I’ve just bought 34-387A at Statfold as E1435E . 34-387 wasn’t available. As expected,both finish & running quality are excellent 

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2023 at 12:33, Bon Accord said:

Both are E1435E.

You should be able to  move that on quite easily and get the correct one?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone confirm that the maroon does match that of the mk1's please?

To my mind, they are a good match for the maroon Mk1s.  Maybe slightly more sheen to the finish.  Herewith three photos taken on my I Phone; two taken in sunshine in the spare room, and one on the layout in electric room lighting, using two different Mk1s.  Not edited for brightness, colour balance or anything else.

IMG_5844.jpeg.e96066d7d3ec00b9bf6fc09bc519203a.jpeg

IMG_5845.jpeg.35a82962359020741203f8a4152beb24.jpeg

IMG_5846.jpeg.3f5f13d600af2751b679e6d67cbb2436.jpeg

Beautiful models IMHO; I may have to save my pennies to get some more!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1