The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How does Facebook work?

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Can someone please explain how Facebook works? Because it has been a constant mystery to me for years.

For example, Andy has a Facebook page for RMweb at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RMweb/205398459548735

If I'm logged in to Facebook I am currently seeing this:

post-1103-0-63119000-1363090198_thumb.png

Notice that today's message from Andy is NOT visible at the top of the left column, but my post on the subject IS visible at the top of the right column.

If I log out from Facebook, I see this instead:

post-1103-0-50278800-1363090201_thumb.png

Notice that today's message from Andy is now visible on the left, but mine on the right isn't.

I don't get it. Why do I have to be logged out to see Andy's post? If I had seen it I wouldn't have made my post.

Millions of people use Facebook every day so there must be an explanation, but it's all beyond me.

regards,

Martin.

Facebook has a number of choices, most of which I never go into. There is a 'wall' and anyone who is a 'friend' sees that wall.

However it is the computer-generated issues that need to be avoided like the plague, as they are spurious links that say 3 people have unfriended you (inviting you to find out who they are) or a friend wants to know your birthday when in fact thet are links to advertising and giving retailers more access to your shopping habits.  

hmm, its a bit different because RMweb isn't a person so is a 'like' rather than a 'friend' and there aren't so many options. you could possibly tick Get Notifications tick and/or Show in News Feed if they aren't already

8550712987_44a43eb59f_o.png

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

I changed it to Posts by Page (the button appears to be greyed out and disabled, but it isn't), and refreshed the page. But it has made no difference, I still can't see Andy's post of earlier today:

post-1103-0-40452100-1363097369.png

The only way I have found to see Andy's post today is to log out from Facebook. As Andy is using this page to advise about RMweb site issues, it's a bit daft that most users won't see it. Unless I'm the only one?

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Strange, it did it for me and I was having the same issue

Hi Tim,

Perhaps we need a quick poll?

Go to: http://www.facebook.com/pages/RMweb/205398459548735

How many RMwebbers can see:

post-1103-0-81769100-1363098418.png

which was posted by Andy earlier today?

Can you see it while logged in to Facebook? Logged out? Both? Neither? Thanks.

p.s. Tim, notice in the above screenshot that it is set to "Highlights", and still showing.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I Use my "home" view (top right hand side of entry screen) which then gives me the recent posts by friends and likes. You have the choice of sorting by "top stories" or "most recent." I use the latter. Got a feed of Andy's update within 3 minuts of him posting it. I never go looking for updates on the pages of individual friends or likes.

Everyone can see when not logged on (except Kenton), it's when logged on which is the issue

No even I can see it - on my iPhone - yep even I have been forced (don't ask) to create an account.

<br /><br />

Don't worry I do not intend to be there long - it was simply required as part of a top layer sign-in to another site. I created some fictitious name with a birthday 1 Jan 1900 and immediately seemed to be bombarded by people wanting to befriend me like a lost puppy. I still think the motivations behind both this and that twit site are decidedly suspect. Frankly, I cannot see the point of either as they simply seem to be a sad waste of time - but then I have that same opinion of games, gambling and sport.

• RMweb Gold

Can we disregard the question of whether Facebook is a Good Thing or a Bad Thing, and concentrate on one simple question:

If Andy posts a message on Facebook about RMweb, how can I be sure to see it?

At present the only way is to make sure I'm logged out from Facebook, which seems utterly counter-intuitive. You would think it would be the other way round.

So just to repeat -- using the URL which Andy provided today:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RMweb/205398459548735

and not some other Facebook page which I don't know anything about, can anyone see his message of today while logged in to Facebook?

regards,

Martin.

Guest Natalie Graham

Yes it is right there at the top of the posts. To the right of the box with the number of likes in it (or maybe under the adverts) there's a little time-line thing. Do you have that set to 'new'? That's the only setting I can see that you haven't tried changing. I can't see that doing it but then I can't find anything to reset that makes that post disappear while leaving the previous one.

And folk chunter about this software. ;) I honestly can't give an answer to the problem, all I do is post in the status box and I don't select any options from my end. It's a bit annoying if people have taken the trouble to save or Like the page and then can't see the message I'm trying to send to them.

I'll consider if there's a better way.

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is right there at the top of the posts. To the right of the box with the number of likes in it (or maybe under the adverts) there's a little time-line thing. Do you have that set to 'new'? That's the only setting I can see that you haven't tried changing. I can't see that doing it but then I can't find anything to reset that makes that post disappear while leaving the previous one.

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for your help.

I can't see a box with the number of Likes in it. There is a timeline device above the adverts, but it contains the word "now" not "new". That is currently shown selected, and clicking it makes no difference.

Martin.

Archived