The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How does Facebook work?

martin_wynne

I created some fictitious name with a birthday 1 Jan 1900 and immediately seemed to be bombarded by people wanting to befriend me like a lost puppy.

It was probably becuase people were intrigued by a 113 year old using Facebook and wanted to be friends with such an elderly person who was on Facebook!!!

They must have fixed that bug quickly then - there was a report last month about a 104yr Grandmother being too old for Facebook and was unable to put in her true date of birth. Despite what she put in it was altered to make her 99yrs old.

http://rt.com/usa/facebook-woman-104-age-195/

It was probably becuase people were intrigued by a 113 year old using Facebook and wanted to be friends with such an elderly person who was on Facebook!!!

Some how I doubt it - just a collection of sad people who wish to increase the number of their imaginary friends. Am I really that odd to value my real friends as people I can actually touch, who have real lives and their feet firmly planted in reality. We keep in touch by actually meeting face to face, by letter, telephone and email - we don't need some information sucking third party to organise or act as our group therapist. If I have lost touch with some people thee is a reason for that - they are not a valued friend.

Kenton, I know you don't like Facebook, but for many, many people it's a great way of keeping in touch with others.

I really lovely example of how great it can work was a guy had seen some photos I've posted on one group of local signalboxes - he got in touch and said he'd worked them. So when he was in the area we arranged for him to visit me at my current box (one of his old ones). :)

Kenton, I know you don't like Facebook, but for many, many people it's a great way of keeping in touch with others.

I really lovely example of how great it can work was a guy had seen some photos I've posted on one group of local signalboxes - he got in touch and said he'd worked them. So when he was in the area we arranged for him to visit me at my current box (one of his old ones). :)

I agree. With family and friends in far flung parts of the UK and beyond, I find it an ideal way to keep in touch, especially being able to upload large nos of photos, too many to email. No need to resize either.

• RMweb Gold

I don't like all the artefacts that Facebook uses, but it can come up trumps, too. I seem to have found myself on the fringes of a page called BROS, which includes regular postings of railway pics from decades back, much like RMweb in places.

And someone I don't know had posted a video the other day - which included a couple of seconds of my late wife when we were at a motor race in Florida in 2007. I can't say Facebook does nothing good.

Archived