RMweb

4CEP Conversions

Rooves are currently being sprayed to match 1500.  Good opportunity to line it up with 1500 and 9005.

I'm now starting to think about what running number to go for.  The unit was originally 7128 so I will have a look and see what number it ended up being.

According to the 1984 platform 5 book 7128 became 1549 which gained Jaffa cake livery sometime between in Jan 1988 and July 1989.

Edit: see observations in 1988 Railway Observers in post#62

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

According to the 1984 platform 5 book 7128 became 1549 which gained Jaffa cake livery sometime between Jan 1988 and July 1989.

I find the latter dates surprising. Jaffacake was a livery designed by/for the London & South East Sector, which became Network SouthEast in June 1986. I was not aware that any units were painted in other-than NSE colours from then onwards.

I might have to use a different number as it looks like 1549 only carried the version of the livery with a black stripe separating the orange and beige.  Just checked 1500 which appeared to carry both (which is a relief!)

I must have used a different brown on 1500 and the MLV as the colour appears much less glossy.  

Ian, I seem to think that Jaffa continued for some time, complete with NSE branding.  I'm not sure why apart from to maybe keep sets in a uniform colour (not much use when coupled to a VEP!)

I couldn't find a varnish spray but I did find a bottle of matt varnish which I have coated over the glossy brown paint.  It has 'dulled down' the glossiness significantly.  I have also sprayed the roof dark grey.  It could probably do with another spray - have realised that I need to remove the guard lookout which i'll do before respraying.

Couldn't resist making a short boat train with 1500 and 9005 at the back.  

post-1105-0-81024800-1382714810_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ian, I seem to think that Jaffa continued for some time, complete with NSE branding.  I'm not sure why apart from to maybe keep sets in a uniform colour (not much use when coupled to a VEP!)

As we know, it takes ages to repaint a fleet. And vehicles which had just been repainted in jaffacake were clearly going to be repainted later than those which were in blue and grey and in real need of repainting. It's just the idea that jaffacake was being applied new in 1988/9 that I find odd. I recall Chris Green saying that when he went to talk to the Chairman (Bob Reid Mk 1) about the NSE proposals and repainting trains, Bob Reid had said he didn't want to see any 12-cars with blue/grey, jaffacake and NSE all in the same formation!

• Like 1

That is true!

As I recall, the gloss wore off quicker than the small of the paint :D

Nice looking unit though - very well done!

Edit:- that would be SMELL of course!

Best wishes,

Edited by HAB
  • Like 1

Certainly no ceps were painted jaffa after NSE arrived, and the crompton is 33008 "Eastleigh" in green - no bagpipes...

Matt

I hope you mean "after the first 4-CEP was painted NSE" not "after NSE arrived".

1549 was repainted in Jan 1988 with the revised Jaffa Cake (with black stripe) according to the March 1988 Railway Observer. More 4-CEP units continued to be painted over the next few months in the revised Jaffa Cake livery. 1503/7/52/63, 1609/10 by late April (1536 revised without a full repaint); 1618 by June; 1504/53/5-8, 1611/6/7 by the July (1555 not a full repaint). In the October 1988 edition it states that 1607 was the first to be painted in NSE livery (the first major overhaul since the refurbishment programme) and it was not until the November 1988 edition (approx September date) that it was stated that all 4-CEPS were now due to be painted in NSE livery.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Graham,

The etch was designed by fellow RMweb member davyjcrow and the thread that I first spotted it is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51508-refurbished-4cep-from-Bachmann-model/&do=findComment&comment=600221

It doesn't look like he has logged in for some time but I contacted him asking about the etches and he gave me the contact details of a company that could produce them.  The website is:

https://www.ppdltd.com/

The information that was needed was:

Email: davyjcrow@hotmail.com
Date of order: 14th Nov 2011
Material: 0.2mm stainless steel

At the time it cost me £16.20 though this was in 2013 so I imagine it will be more expensive now.

I still have the CEP though due to the fact that it was going to cost around £40 to get glazing pieces it has remained unglazed since the photo you see further up the page!

• Like 1

Bob Reid had said he didn't want to see any 12-cars with blue/grey, jaffacake and NSE all in the same formation!

Now there's a photographic challenge - I certainly remember seeing a CIG + CIG + BIG at Clapham Jn. one evening with each of the three units in those different liveries - now did I take its picture ???

Hi Graham,

The etch was designed by fellow RMweb member davyjcrow and the thread that I first spotted it is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51508-refurbished-4cep-from-Bachmann-model/&do=findComment&comment=600221

It doesn't look like he has logged in for some time but I contacted him asking about the etches and he gave me the contact details of a company that could produce them.  The website is:

At the time it cost me £16.20 though this was in 2013 so I imagine it will be more expensive now.

I still have the CEP though due to the fact that it was going to cost around £40 to get glazing pieces it has remained unglazed since the photo you see further up the page!

I recently tried to email Davy about the etches, but to no reply so he probably doesn't use his account or hasn't needed it, a pity as they look good, and ive a CEP that I want to convert from BR green into NSE

NL

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jon,

Sorry to interrupt your thread but where did you get the Cep windows from?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-28 at 23.42.48.png

cheers

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I too was looking to purchase some window frames for a refurbished CEP so having seen this I contacted ppdltd.com and have just completed the transaction, cost to me was £18.

Very swift service from start to finish in 48 hours. Usual disclaimer no connection just a satisfied customer!

Dale

Edited by dale159
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I too was looking to purchase some window frames for a refurbished CEP so having seen this I contacted ppdltd.com and have just completed the transaction, cost to me was £18.

Very swift service from start to finish in 48 hours. Usual disclaimer no connection just a satisfied customer!

Dale

How are you meant to search anything on that site? I clicked on the Model Rail section and it wouldn't let me search for anything specific.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks Jon.

Dale

Useful to know, will contact them and get some ordered.

cheers 

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi 

Just to say I now have an etch from PPD in 2mm for the 4CEP and it is beautiful ! - Almost to good to use. It has been done in 5thou stainless steel  60 opener hopper windows with separate hopper to add, 8 large and 12 med  fixed windows 8 small and 4 cabs and 4 off bodyside sections. exactly as seen in photo above plus a good margin of metal to keep it all rigid.  All for around £8.

Now if the world would stop long enough I could start work, but not for a while

Robert   

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I have just acquired a couple of EMU coaches that should be part of a 4unit set. I was having trouble with the coach lighting so with the  attached the schematic of the coach P CB I managed to get the lights working by connecting the I led- connection to the ground rail.

The R led- connection goes straight through.

This is with DC - I will check it out on DCC later. 

Ron

Bachmann EMU Coach.pdf

• 6 months later...
On 29/08/2017 at 22:23, Southernman46 said:

Now there's a photographic challenge - I certainly remember seeing a CIG + CIG + BIG at Clapham Jn. one evening with each of the three units in those different liveries - now did I take its picture ???

I definitely have a piece of super-8 cine film of a 12CEP formation with one unit Blue Grey, one Jaffa and one NSE.   The earlier comments on here about CEPs continuing to be painted in Jaffa well into NSE days are correct - the original intention was to continue using Jaffa until all the blue ones were gone, and then start painting in NSE; the reason was exactly as stated above, i.e. to avoid having CEPs in all three liveries.  At the time, I wondered whether the very last blue one would go straight into NSE and thus be the only one never to receive Jaffa - but it didn't come to that because the decision was changed and NSE started to be used when there were still a number of blue ones left, which is how I got my film. 

Stuart 

• Thanks 1