Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I'm not certain for definite but the Airfix boiler barrel may be about 1mm smaller in diameter than the GBL boiler. I was looking at replacing the smokebox door and did a quick measure, the Airfix one was smaller.

The Airfix barrel is smaller, but not if you wrap it in a layer of 5thou plasticard. Here's one I did earlier....

post-6879-0-54155800-1402858858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

E68 Sir Visto?

Nope, it'll no.103 Flying Scotsman once I have fitted superheater headers. She had an A4 non corridor tender, 180lb boiler, superheater headers, the small cut out cab and short chimney in 1948 shortly before fitting of the 220lb boiler and the conversion to A3 standard. Best picture of this form can be seen in Power of the A3s on page 98, top picture.

I did consider Sir Visto for one of my other Pacific conversions but ruled it out ultimately because it wouldn't have been seen alongside my mostly southern ECML end/Leeds end collection of locomotives and rolling stock.

Guest spet0114

I have a Mallard model from the start of this series which I've dismantled to it's component parts before realising that I've got far too many project for this one ever to get back into one piece again.

If anyone's in the Newbury, Berks area and wants a collection of parts that used to be an A4 (for free) - drop me a PM.

Collection only though.

Cheers
Adrian

Guest spet0114

Nope, it'll no.103 Flying Scotsman once I have fitted superheater headers. She had an A4 non corridor tender, 180lb boiler, superheater headers, the small cut out cab and short chimney in 1948 shortly before fitting of the 220lb boiler and the conversion to A3 standard. Best picture of this form can be seen in Power of the A3s on page 98, top picture.

I did consider Sir Visto for one of my other Pacific conversions but ruled it out ultimately because it wouldn't have been seen alongside my mostly southern ECML end/Leeds end collection of locomotives and rolling stock.

Interesting, this is a subtlety of Scotsman's condition around nationalisation that I'd never appreciated - I'd always assumed that the larger superheater and the 220lb boiler were only seen in tandem, even to the point that the presence of the latter implied that of the former.

I'm assuming here that there was something behind the superheater headers and that they weren't just there because Doncaster had run out of header-less smokeboxes (post-war austerity and all that)?

Were any other A3s known to have run with this combination of superheater and boiler?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

....I was looking at replacing the smokebox door and did a quick measure, the Airfix one was smaller.

The GBL "City" smokebox door is marginally too big. I think it could be reduced in diameter, using an Olfa compass cutter. A millimetre off should do it.

Guest spet0114

Hello again,

Now I'm back from work, I can consult the reference books! 

Scotsman got a 220lb boiler (No. 8078) and became an A3 in late 1946. The boiler had a non-banjo dome (like the first A3s). In early 1948 she got another high-pressure boiler (No. 9119). This one had the banjo dome. Thus, the period you're referring to (i.e. the period during which she wore post-war LNER apple green livery) is 1947 rather than '48 and the loco was an A3 rather than an A10, albeit one with an A1-esque dome.

This makes more sense than fitting a low pressure boiler with either an enlarged superheater or a set of 'fake' header covers!

Cheers

Adrian

An amusing thought. There are three locos in the picture though...! Accepted, an odd angle to showcase my models...! :)

3 chimneys, 3 domes and sets of safety valves - certainly an interesting angle in more ways than one. I chose E68 Sir Visto as the loco ran in 1948 in full lner livery and i can justify an apple green A10 which adds a nice splash of colour in amongst the BR green and black (St. Margaret's grey)

post-10572-0-55408000-1402952424.jpgpost-10572-0-23194000-1402952445.jpg

I simply took the latest railroad loco which was given a repaint and new boiler fittings.

• Like 6

Hello again,

Now I'm back from work, I can consult the reference books! 

Scotsman got a 220lb boiler (No. 8078) and became an A3 in late 1946. The boiler had a non-banjo dome (like the first A3s). In early 1948 she got another high-pressure boiler (No. 9119). This one had the banjo dome. Thus, the period you're referring to (i.e. the period during which she wore post-war LNER apple green livery) is 1947 rather than '48 and the loco was an A3 rather than an A10, albeit one with an A1-esque dome.

This makes more sense than fitting a low pressure boiler with either an enlarged superheater or a set of 'fake' header covers!

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian - thank you for this information. That clears up a few things. I had consulted RCTS and it had not been very clear to me. So in effect I should change the washout plug arrangement to the standard 220lb boiler albeit keeping the round dome as shown on the boiler to portray no.103 as she was in 1947?

The current model (minus the superheater headers and with the 180lb boiler, but with smaller cab cut outs and lower chimney) would then only be correct if I was portraying Flying Scotsman as either 502 in black or 103 in black?

Apart from the simplified lining, which is the better representation of Scotsman's tender, the GBL one or Hornby Railroad or the body of one on the chassis of the other? Couldn't resist the tender from a junk box for £3, nearly new as well. I'm planning on keeping it as an A3 in LNER green.

The GBL one is by far superior if you care to repaint it and dedicate the modelling time to it. Here's mine behind an A4. It really looks the part when matched with a set of Hornby frames and fitted with handrails.

post-1656-0-07666400-1402953602.jpg

• Like 4

3 chimneys, 3 domes and sets of safety valves - certainly an interesting angle in more ways than one. I chose E68 Sir Visto as the loco ran in 1948 in full lner livery and i can justify an apple green A10 which adds a nice splash of colour in amongst the BR green and black (St. Margaret's grey)

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I simply took the latest railroad loco which was given a repaint and new boiler fittings.

All of mine are Railroad 4472s just like yours. It was your Sir Visto model which convinced me I could turn these into something more individual and detailed. My build has differed in the mixing and matching of GBL model components and other spare Hornby items I have collected over the years.

Although I visit RMWEB from time to time to see how thw GBL thread is progressing and to see what others have been doing with the models, I don't usually post anything as I don't have any useful contribution to make to the thread.  Mention of the release of City of Truro, however, reminded me that Airfix Magazine had quite a lot of articles in the mid-1960s on the conversion possibilities of the Airfix (ex-Kitmaster) kit.  I indexed my copies of Airfix Magazine shortly after I retired and I thought I'd post a list of these articles in case it might be useful for anyone thinking of conversions using the new GBL model.

Some of the articles involve the use of parts from the Prairie Tank kit which is now £10.10 from Dapol so they might be rather an expensive proposition for a static background model.  In addition, the different breakdown of parts between the kit and the new model would probably require a different approach.  Even so, the articles might provide a useful starting point and the magazines are currently very cheap on E-Bay UK.  Anyway, here's the list:

AIRFIX MAGAZINE ARTICLES on CITY of TRURO KIT

CITY OF TRURO DETAILING  FEBRUARY 1967

CITY OF TRURO KIT REPRESENTS LOCO AS APPEARED IN PERIOD DEC 1956 TO 1962/3 P318  JUNE 1965 (LETTER)

CITY OF TRURO MOTORISING JULY 1965

GWR 43XX CLASS MOGUL CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO & PRAIRIE TANK KITS Pt1 THE LOCO  MAY 1967

GWR 43XX CLASS MOGUL CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO & PRAIRIE TANK KITS Pt2 MOTORISING THE MOGUL (TENDER MODS & MOTOR) JUNE 1967

GWR 93XX MOGUL CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO & PRAIRIE TANK KITS  AUGUST 1967

GWR ABERDARE CLASS LOCO CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO  SEPTEMBER 1967

GWR BIRD CLASS LOCO CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO KIT  MARCH 1968

GWR BULLDOG CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO KIT & PRAIRIE TANK WHEELS  DECEMBER 1967

GWR COUNTY CLASS CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO  NOVEMBER 1967

GWR CURVED BULLDOG CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO   FEBRUARY 1968

GWR DUKEDOG LOCO CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO & PRAIRIE TANK KITS  APRIL 1968

GWR FLOWERS & ATBARAS - FLOWER CLASS LOCO  CONV FROM CITY of TRURO  JUNE 1968

The letter in the June 1965 issue makes the point that the kit represents the locomotive as it appeared in the 1950s and 1960s and this might be worth remembering in relation to the GBL model.

I hope this is of some use.

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

Although I visit RMWEB from time to time to see how thw GBL thread is progressing and to see what others have been doing with the models, I don't usually post anything as I don't have any useful contribution to make to the thread.  Mention of the release of City of Truro, however, reminded me that Airfix Magazine had quite a lot of articles in the mid-1960s on the conversion possibilities of the Airfix (ex-Kitmaster) kit.  I indexed my copies of Airfix Magazine shortly after I retired and I thought I'd post a list of these articles in case it might be useful for anyone thinking of conversions using the new GBL model.

Some of the articles involve the use of parts from the Prairie Tank kit which is now £10.10 from Dapol so they might be rather an expensive proposition for a static background model.  In addition, the different breakdown of parts between the kit and the new model would probably require a different approach.  Even so, the articles might provide a useful starting point and the magazines are currently very cheap on E-Bay UK.  Anyway, here's the list:

AIRFIX MAGAZINE ARTICLES on CITY of TRURO KIT

CITY OF TRURO DETAILING  FEBRUARY 1967

CITY OF TRURO KIT REPRESENTS LOCO AS APPEARED IN PERIOD DEC 1956 TO 1962/3 P318  JUNE 1965 (LETTER)

CITY OF TRURO MOTORISING JULY 1965

GWR 43XX CLASS MOGUL CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO & PRAIRIE TANK KITS Pt1 THE LOCO  MAY 1967

GWR 43XX CLASS MOGUL CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO & PRAIRIE TANK KITS Pt2 MOTORISING THE MOGUL (TENDER MODS & MOTOR) JUNE 1967

GWR ABERDARE CLASS LOCO CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO  SEPTEMBER 1967

GWR BIRD CLASS LOCO CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO KIT  MARCH 1968

GWR BULLDOG CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO KIT & PRAIRIE TANK WHEELS  DECEMBER 1967

GWR COUNTY CLASS CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO  NOVEMBER 1967

GWR CURVED BULLDOG CONV FROM CITY OF TRURO   FEBRUARY 1968

GWR FLOWERS & ATBARAS - FLOWER CLASS LOCO  CONV FROM CITY of TRURO  JUNE 1968

The letter in the June 1965 issue makes the point that the kit represents the locomotive as it appeared in the 1950s and 1960s and this might be worth remembering in relation to the GBL model.

I hope this is of some use.

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

Thanks Gordon - useful stuff.

O/T, sorry, but that excellent list is only a small indication to non-GW fans that the Great Western is far from 'done' as far as R-T-R locomotives are concerned. Railways didnt just spring into life, fully formed, on January 1st 1923!

.....AIRFIX MAGAZINE ARTICLES on CITY of TRURO KIT

^^

Now these are intriguing...... :mail:

Turns out that there was a similar Dukedog conversion in the August 1964 issue of Model Railway Constructor.

Edited by Horsetan

Thanks Gordon - useful stuff.

O/T, sorry, but that excellent list is only a small indication to non-GW fans that the Great Western is far from 'done' as far as R-T-R locomotives are concerned. Railways didnt just spring into life, fully formed, on January 1st 1923!

'Far from done'? More like far from started, there's nothing built before 1899 in that list :O

Nick

Guest spet0114

Hi Adrian - thank you for this information. That clears up a few things. I had consulted RCTS and it had not been very clear to me. So in effect I should change the washout plug arrangement to the standard 220lb boiler albeit keeping the round dome as shown on the boiler to portray no.103 as she was in 1947?

The current model (minus the superheater headers and with the 180lb boiler, but with smaller cab cut outs and lower chimney) would then only be correct if I was portraying Flying Scotsman as either 502 in black or 103 in black?

From memory, this all sounds about right, but I'll consult the books tonight and let you know....

Cheers

Adrian

Finally tracked one City of Truro down to WH Smiths in Bolton. Whilst the local Asdas appear to have stopped stocking, the lady at the tills at Smiths said that they're selling all twenty of each locomotive that they get in, and have no plans to stop stocking it until that changes.

• Like 1

....the lady at the tills at Smiths said that they're selling all twenty of each locomotive that they get in, and have no plans to stop stocking it until that changes.

Um...someone has to ask the stupid question, so it might as well be me: does this mean that if they only sell 19 the next time round, it's curtains at Smith's?