Great British Locomotives

EddieB

RJS1977 - Your Aberdare conversion looks as if it turned out well.  The photograph presumably shows it in undercoat.

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

northduk@googlemail.com

No, it was still in bare plastic at that stage!

The latest stuff (Black 5 and CofT) should have been waiting for me when I got home, but it hasn't arrived yet. Hmm....

Managed to get a broken CofT at a local convenience store - he says he will stock one of each and can get any more I want. Should be useful.

The CofT packaging was smashed - the base was shattered but the loco and tender seem to have survived reasonably well - just the tender drawbar broken. Tender doesn't have any buffers, but there you go. Well painted apart from the odd band around the chimney and a dob of gold-coloured paint on the boiler. Rather typically slung together by someone who's no knowledge of steam locos. Looks fine on a shelf in my office.

The coal is, unfortunately, part of the body moulding. The only way to remove it is to saw it out in stages. The bunker sides have a false inner skin which also needs to be chopped out if you intend to recreate something resembling the sloping sides and bottom of the real thing.

You can also thin down the edges of the bodysides by shaving away the plastic in order to make it look more like sheet metal.

post-6879-0-28772000-1403370124_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-86998200-1403370765_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-17890800-1403370921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

.......Il Grifone - Your 43XX models seem to have followed the same path as many of my Airfix Mag conversions.  Mine were mostly military vehicles and were scrapped when later sources revealed how inaccurate some of them were.  Some of Chris Ellis' guesses were very wide of the mark.  Even so, a few remain in the scrap box in the loft as souvenirs of a simpler time....

My version of the 'Airfix 43xx' from 30+ years ago:
Never did get round to a motorised tender!

post-6488-0-21760000-1403345517_thumb.jpgpost-6488-0-84463200-1403345544_thumb.jpgpost-6488-0-97630100-1403345606_thumb.jpgpost-6488-0-06589300-1403345643_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

A neighbour brought my GBL subscription locos round this morning. They had apparently been left on the front doorstep because I wasn't it...

There was an N gauge loco in the bag - an Amtrak thingy - so that's up for swapsies as well!

• Like 2

.......Il Grifone - Your 43XX models seem to have followed the same path as many of my Airfix Mag conversions.  Mine were mostly military vehicles and were scrapped when later sources revealed how inaccurate some of them were.  Some of Chris Ellis' guesses were very wide of the mark.  Even so, a few remain in the scrap box in the loft as souvenirs of a simpler time....

My version of the 'Airfix 43xx' from 30+ years ago:
Never did get round to a motorised tender!

The cab is rather better than mine, which used the original Kitmaster parts. She shares a number with one of them - the other was 4371. One day I'll get around to renumbering the Mainline replacements. They shared a motorised tender with my 'City' - 3712. I acquired a second K's unit, but it was not nearly as good as the first.

The Cities seem to have all sold in my area only the cooking thing, Dr Who angels, the aforementioned watches (still going apparently) and various other things.

• Like 1

Like this, you mean:

14445495982_445c7ca08e_z.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality photo - I really should take another one of the completed model,especially as it's on the layout right behind me, but TBH I'm too tired just now.

Chassis is from a Lima 09. 

Here's the finished article, with a Large Prairie kit converted to a 56XX.

14478236624_bdf98561f2_z.jpg

• Like 8

"Souvenirs of a simpler time". A lovely phrase Nick; sums it all up really.....

"Souvenirs of a simpler time". A lovely phrase Nick; sums it all up really.....

Thanks, but we have to credit 'Northduk' with that phrase since I was quoting his post and messed up including his username!!

• Like 1

Here it is! Popped into WHS in Wimborne first thing. None in the display, but still x3 "City of Truro". The assistant saw me rummaging and said the latest edition had arrived so brought out some K3s.

Rather disappointed with the model; think the tender is the best part of it. The running plate looks a bit bent to me by the cylinders. The wheels/running gear looks very crude and toy-like. The head-on front view does capture that K3 look though.

Was going to buy two but just came away with one (and a City of Truro).

Realised that that was only the fourth GWR model I've ever owned; the other three being a Tri-ang Hall, a Hornby 57XX of around 1973 vintage and an Airfix kit of the 61XX.

Really wonder if this K3 will sell. Can't see a medium-sized black engine appealing to the casual buyer.

post-6880-0-49683000-1403688854.jpg

post-6880-0-21810200-1403688871.jpg

post-6880-0-18975100-1403688889.jpg

There was one in Asda this morning (I trust because one has already been sold! and not a cut back on supplies).

Apart from the wheels, which are rubbish it didn't seem bad, but as I wouldn't claim to be an expert on K3s (or even less than usual), I'll leave further comments to others.

EDIT

The photo above appeared while I was writing. The lettering is better on this one (the one I saw was rather dull - weather or repaint into BR livery).

It also had a large gap between firebox and cab and glue frosting on the cab window.

Edited by Il Grifone

Here it is! Popped into WHS in Wimborne first thing. None in the display, but still x3 "City of Truro". The assistant saw me rummaging and said the latest edition had arrived so brought out some K3s.

Rather disappointed with the model; think the tender is the best part of it. The running plate looks a bit bent to me by the cylinders. The wheels/running gear looks very crude and toy-like. The head-on front view does capture that K3 look though.

Was going to buy two but just came away with one (and a City of Truro).

Realised that that was only the fourth GWR model I've ever owned; the other three being a Tri-ang Hall, a Hornby 57XX of around 1973 vintage and an Airfix kit of the 61XX.

Really wonder if this K3 will sell. Can't see a medium-sized black engine appealing to the casual buyer.

What really interests me is the clearly visible NEM pocket on the model, and the guard irons that could do second duty as ice scrapers....

Picked one up at Asda in Chelmer Village. Although bent I think this will straighten when taken apart as it seems that it is not well assembled. Still for the price seems a reasonable starting point.

Edited by Paul Cram