Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Not going for a K3, so not looking for this one. Not going for the Light Pacific either.

Found that I already have a Comet Stanier tender underframe kit, which I can use for the GBL Black 5. Just a matter of sticking it under the modified tender shell and swapping the (roller-bearing) axleboxes for the plain variety (included in the Brassmasters detail pack). Hopefully should be able to put up some photos demonstrating how to create the sloping inner bunker sides (and fire iron tunnel) using nothing more than plastic sheet, after which we can start fixing in some of the Brassmasters detail parts.

Placing the new rivets around the smokebox door ring is playing havoc with my eyesight, which is just annoying. :nono:  The cab glazing needs removing and modification.

Still in two minds as to whether to buy the Comet Black 5 chassis pack, or go the whole hog and ask Brassmasters whether they might be willing to sell a chassis out of their full kit.

Picked one up at Asda in Chelmer Village. Although bent I think this will straighten when taken apart as it seems that it is not well assembled. Still for the price seems a reasonable starting point.

I got one in Asda Edinburgh this morning.

I noticed the same problem with the bent front frame but have managed to sort it by taking it to bits then applying some pressure on the front misformed section. Then I fitted a micro thin washer to the screw between the bent frame and the boiler, 're-assembled and it looks straight. The front smokebox door detached easily which helps greatly with fitting the washer.

The front pony truck wheel can rotate but it's a pity the spokes are filled or it may have been useful.

Regards

Tony.

Edited by tmz06003

I've certainly seen worse. Looks like the K3 could be made of quite reasonable parts, but very hastily and heavy-handedly assembled.

Quite a curious decision to model the front buffer beam in GNR style without corner cut-outs (definitely not a straight copy of the Bachmann model in that respect) in combination with the 1930s final group-standard version of the cab.

I managed to get a well printed, well assembled one with a straight footplate, very pleased overall and I can put the Bachmann K3 down the list of RTR to buy. I still need a Bachmann K3 to make a K4 though.

Rhys

• Like 1

....I still need a Bachmann K3 to make a K4 though....

I was considering something similar, but it's a toss-up between buying the Dave Alexander K4 (and throwing away much of the chassis in favour of SEF's highly-detailed K3 one), or acquiring a Bachmann K3 body and binning the entire boiler assembly....

The agony of choice.

I've read Mr Kings conversion on a certain LNER based website several times and have some of the parts and I'm looking into getting some of the others, I may buy a second GBL K3 and do a practice build on that.

Rhys

• Like 1

Tender tanks swapped. Its a straight forward unscrew-re screw job, ( wire handrails, buffers and real coal still to be added) the only problem is the GBL and Bachmann screw holes do not match so tank will be glued on. Also as the cab unclips I have an alternate running number now. Comparison between the two there's not that much in it at all, the tender chassis and die cast wheels have been binned.

• Like 2

Just taken mine apart, the driving wheels are a solid bloke as expected, so are the tender wheels, but the front pony wheels are wheels on an axle. I doubt they run well but they are proper axles.

Rhys

There was one in Asda this morning (I trust because one has already been sold! and not a cut back on supplies).

Apart from the wheels, which are rubbish it didn't seem bad, but as I wouldn't claim to be an expert on K3s (or even less than usual), I'll leave further comments to others.

EDIT

The photo above appeared while I was writing. The lettering is better on this one (the one I saw was rather dull - weather or repaint into BR livery).

It also had a large gap between firebox and cab and glue frosting on the cab window.

What is there to disagree with here please - I fail to see?

Edited by Il Grifone

What work would be required to convert one to a K4? Is it a simple change the boiler and tender? Or a lot more complicated.

The boiler was smaller - derived from the K2. The firebox was derived from the B17.

Chassis frames were similar to K3, but 5 inches longer. Wheel diameter was slightly smaller - 5'2", compared to 5'8", I think.

Some hints here

Even more of a hint here!

Edited by Horsetan

A simpler - though more expensive -  route to a K4 is on the way in the form of the Hornby K1. The K4 was developed from the K3 with both driving wheel and boiler 6" smaller in diameter, and a smaller tender. The Peppercorn K1 is a two cylinder development of the K4, based on a single Thompson rebuild of a K4 classed K1/1. Returning a K1 into K4 condition basically requires the K3 cab, footplate, cylinders and valve gear to replace the equivalent parts on a K1.

If Hornby don't release a K4 (it's about the same scale of job as producing the Clan on the basis of the Britannia parts) I shall be most surprised. Relatively cheap opportunity to produce a class of attractively named and green liveried locos.

I thought "almost RTR" K4 models might prove quite popular, but when I put the idea of a simple set of conversion parts for the Bachmann K3 to a group of LNER enthusiasts there was very little expression of interest. Maybe I asked the wrong people? Attractive locos definitely, but of real use to serious steam-age modellers only if they model the West Highlands, Central Scotland, or the occasion when Loch Long, in black, visited London for showing to the Top Brass. Maybe modellers of the preservation scene, or those who simply run anything they like, regardless of authenticity, might buy enough K4s to make a model viable?

I thought "almost RTR" K4 models might prove quite popular, but when I put the idea of a simple set of conversion parts for the Bachmann K3 to a group of LNER enthusiasts there was very little expression of interest. Maybe I asked the wrong people? .... Maybe modellers of the preservation scene....might buy enough K4s to make a model viable?

I wasn't even aware you had tabled the proposal at the time (in fact I don't think I had even joined that particular Forum yet).

I'd certainly put my name down if you're doing K4 parts, but you know that already. I only model preserved stock anyway.

Edited by Horsetan