Great British Locomotives

EddieB

While everyone is still stressing about the T9 being late, I'm still waiting for my subs issues from 16 onwards! I'm not overly impressed and they will be getting a call in the morning. Tried tonight twice but don't want to be on hold again!

Cheers

Shane

I shall be selling my "T9" when I receive it from my local post office. Also still have the Standard 4MT, Prairie, and "princess Elizabeth" - all unopened- for sale. Please pm if interested. Regards

I'll give you a fiver for it.......................Well its going to be second hand isn't it?

I managed to get one T9 in Smith's in Wallington, so none left in there I'm afraid.

I have some in the swapsies pipeline, and a possible other swap, so may be good to go, if all those come through. And a prescription one, if it ever arrives...

I noted with some approval the addition of the 'C'. Starting to look like a decent spread of pre-grouping Southern types.

If anyone wants I'll do some pictures after I've had breakfast.

• Like 1

Got into Tilbury Asda early (they're temporarily closed overnight while refurbishing the store) and there were two T9s, which are now both safely at home with me!

One has a slightly skew chimney, but I'm sure that is easy enough to remedy - now I need a couple of 10 foot wheelbase mechanisms..... One will go into BR black and the other will probably stay LSWR green. I'm not convinced about the shade though - it looks too light?

As a good omen, a class '66' went past with a load of containers on the way to the docks, when I got back!

The new list is interesting - I don't need any of them, but probably a 'Scot', a 'C' and a 'J39' will make their way home.....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3

Woowhoo got the three I ordered and mighty fine they look too almost too good to use for my conversions..........almost.

Got to go up the hospital today with my foot so will have a look when I get back to see if my Idea of using the Hornby B12 chassis will work as well with this as it dose with the original Hornby one.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92190-when-is-a-4-6-0-not-a-4-6-0-or-the-quest-for-a-scottish-loco/

Just looking at the upcoming list and right away the C class jumped out at me, the T9s are being converted to various Scottish 4-4-0s. but the C class - Could be a possible Caledonian Jumbo or Highland Barny there, I've already got a Bachmann pannier for the chassis so lets hope that one comes out too.

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

T9 is not unpacked yet, but looks very neat and presentable. As others have already commented, I'm not sure about that shade of green, but ignorance could be bliss in this instance. 

The new 'forthcoming' list is appealing and if they use the most recent Britannia tender drive version as a basis it should be very reasonable.

I wonder if there's any chance of it being coupled with a BR1D tender?  Doubtful as they're likely to go for 70000 itself, class doyen and the patriotic appeal of  'BRITANNIA' name as a selling point.

For the Royal Scot I'd hope they copy the Airfix version which I always thought more accurate than the Mainline effort.

Thumbs up for the 'C' and 'N'.

Regards,

John 

• Like 1

I have just gone out and got a couple via Sainsburys but be quick, only one left in Warwick.

It does look very nice, apart from the unusual coal!

Good news in parts about the future releases. Pity that the peak is likely to be Mainline, but nothing a bit of modelling won't be able to sort, same with the Western.

Cheers

Shane

Mine looks good from the left, but has paint blemishes on the right hand side. There's a moulding pip on the boiler top and the faintest of mould division marks on the smokebox. All handleable, and this may well be one that gets repainted and detailed. Pretty pleased overall, looking forward to the N and the C, of course.

Follow up to the last post here are a couple of quick pics of the T9

Very useful photos; thank you! 

Inspired me to pop into Rhyl branch of WHS and they had two on offer: One had the slightly skewed chimney reported elsewhere already so I got the other one, only to find that the front offside steps (the invisible side when in the packaging) are missing. 

Finish also above average with only one or two bits of slightly imperfect lining that overspills onto the green; however, I was surprised to see that number 117 has been applied when I was expecting 120, given the LSWR livery and extended smokebox combination.   However, I expect a repaint into SR Wartime or BR Lined Black will follow in any case...

Worth noting in particular is that this is I think the first GBL model since the Schools to have proper spoked wheels throughout; something about which to be thankful therefore! 

It's not about modellers...

I am aware of that,thankyou..but this is a modelling forum,and I was referring to those buyers of GBL products that are modellers not collectors,even though they may not be the target market..

A very nice thought but both are too obscure for the target market that GBL are aiming at.

Again,I am aware of that,and it was a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment,-but have they ever stated what constitutes a "Great British Locomotive" in their opinion..?

I noted with some approval the addition of the 'C'. 

Likewise!  :imsohappy:

[Mind you,with my username I would say that,wouldn't I?]

Pity that the peak is likely to be Mainline, but nothing a bit of modelling won't be able to sort, same with the Western.

But,as I said before,as a modeller,why bother with the GBL version when the originals are so readily,and,more to the point,cheaply,available secondhand..??

• RMweb Premium
Pity that the peak is likely to be Mainline, but nothing a bit of modelling won't be able to sort, same with the Western.

Sorry Shane, but there is more than 'a bit of modelling' to sort the Mainline Peak, other than as a rough stand-in. Done more than enough of them back in the day to know that trying to silk-purse that particular sow's lug 'ole just isn't worth the effort. Bah. Maybe the bogie-mounted bufferbeams might be useable (assuming they sort that....)

But the Lima Wizzo was half-decent, mainly the cab windows that need sorting.

....,why bother with the GBL version when the originals are so readily,and,more to the point,cheaply,available secondhand..??

I suppose people just want to have a go at something without making a hash of an original.

....But the Lima Wizzo was half-decent, mainly the cab windows that need sorting.

Brassmasters correction and detailing kit will help you.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Unpacked one 'T9' to find a smudged tender on the other side. Not to worry that will be the black one! They seem to have got the quartering right on this one - not that it matters all that much on a static model.

The booklet is quite reasonable and it would appear that the green is based on the preserved example, which begs the question "why 117 and not 120?" Copyright?

The buffers are going to need some attention, being decidedly puny.

One T9 on the shelf at Asda Basingstoke with a coupling rod half hanging off.

Enquired if any more in stock and advised NO. (at 9.30am!)

So, I bought this last one.

Feeling pleased that I had at least got one I next went on to Sainsburys for the weekly shop and found two on the shelf there in perfect condition!

I had not seen any previous GBL on sale there for months.

I dithered but, refrained from buying those.

The coupling rod was easy to reposition in its holding boss once the loco was removed from the plinth and chassis unscrewed.

There is nothing else wrong with the manufactured assembly or finish of the one I bought.

The coal moulding design is the most unrealistic I have ever seen and should be reworked, perhaps with a layer of coal chips on top.

Other than that it is a very nice static model.

I would be interested to read about how to motorise it if anyone attempts it.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Nabbed a couple of T9s from the local Sainsburys during my lunch break. Doesn't look a bad model, notwithstanding the buffers on the tender.

Cheers

Adrian