Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

In these days of the internet it should be possible to order back issues online. With these collector type magazines, I distrust phone systems as one company charges for such calls. The link to their 'online shop' does not always work properly. I have seen the contact details in the magazine, but given the problems with missing issues mentioned above, I would prefer to have a reliable system in place. Odd that the website quotes 20 euros for certain back issues but the magazine says cover price. That suggests to me there is another company involved.

Managed to get copy of latest issue in WHS, looked like last copy unless they intend to put more on shelf.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

As I have now said several times, others here have phoned customer services and had a positive result.

You could offer them your views on their back issue arrangements at the same time as ordering.

• Like 1

As I have now said several times, others here have phoned customer services and had a positive result.

You could offer them your views on their back issue arrangements at the same time as ordering.

I phoned them today. They have a back order problem outstanding with issues 25 to 28. They claim to expect more to come but have no idea when. it appears to be correct that they are a third party as well! They took my order but I have no real hope of it being fulfilled. Unable to order 28 until next week.

About a dozen Scots in WH Smith Wigan this morning. A nice model, sits on the track nicely (unlike some earlier models).  I've toned down the silver valve gear and a dab or two of weathering powder she looks "just the job" on the shed - ready to go (if she had a motor !!!).

Brit15

• Like 4

About a dozen Scots in WH Smith Wigan this morning. A nice model, sits on the track nicely (unlike some earlier models).  I've toned down the silver valve gear and a dab or two of weathering powder she looks "just the job" on the shed - ready to go (if she had a motor !!!).

Brit15

I do find it amazing how plentiful the models are in some parts of the country and the incredible drought in others (mine!). Very poor marketing / buying strategy by major retailers in Hampshire!

Just spotted this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-8p-Duchess-No-6220-Coronation-1938-Diecast-1-76-Scale-Locomotive-Model-/111409498477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f086096d

£30.56 Buy It Now!

No mention of the fact that it's GBL and non-running, so someone might be a bit disappointed...

Seller has multiple negative feedback, too.

The seller has lots of junk items all overpriced.

Dapol CoT for £16.02 for example.

DapolOO/HO1:76PlasticModelKit-"CityofTruro"CityofTrurowasthefirststeamlocotoreach100mph.Sheiswidelyrecognisedasbeingthefastestthingontheplanetinherday.

Apart from being illiterate, this is inaccurate - 100 mph had already been exceeded, though not by steam. (Ignoring dubious American claims.....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I've ordered GBL  back issues by phone  before,  very pleasant staff at other end. I was told delivery could have been a couple of weeks plus, but they actually turned up 12 days later. I got what I ordered, delivered undamaged. (A4 A3 Jinty Deltic).

They cost the cover price of each magazine.

I've just ordered another (early) issue which I was told they had in stock but was again warned that delivery could be 14 days or more.  Which isn't actually a problem for me.

The number to ring is 0844 472 5237     - number specifically for GBL back issues and enquiries.

Hope this helps.

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Gold

There is one - and only one - in WHS Ealing today.

I already have a Rebuilt Scot (Brassmasters), so don't need another one.

If you have the B/M one you certainly don't this one, very ordinary model.

Mike

The K3/2 is now complete, bar a couple of errors which the photos have very kindly shown up. The cab has now been reseated correctly and I'll take a fine brush to paint over some of the boiler lining where it has gone a bit lower than it should. How I miss these thing in normal viewing, I don't know.The bent cab step was from the SEF cab etch and was easily straightened.

As usual, I'll put a few extra photos on the thread below and delete this one in a few days.

post-1659-0-48921400-1425656630_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-8p-Duchess-No-6220-Coronation-1938-Diecast-1-76-Scale-Locomotive-Model-/111409498477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f086096d

£30.56 Buy It Now!

No mention of the fact that it's GBL and non-running, so someone might be a bit disappointed...

Is this E-Bay seller an Amercom employee in disguise(!) and does he/she have a mask and a gun! WARNING: DO NOT LOOK AT THIS E-BAY AD UNLESS SEATED!!  :jester:

£30.56 Buy It Now!

DIECAST???

You really wonder who would buy at that price. Casual searchers of EBay would do well to find that listing and folk like us who may pay a bit more than list price to get something we want wouldn't go anywhere near that amount.But I've just seen an auction start for coach sides at a higher price than you would pay the main supplier. It makes you wonder...

:protest: Lets face it the GBL system for subscribers and reordering is practicaly non-existant!

Quality over the last few models I have received, or had to buy via Ebay (Rocket) is becoming rubish, the later epecialy.

One person who has purchased 6 Rockets has found all of them to be poorly assembled, altogether it makes me suspect that GBL are having real problems with supply.

Goodness knows what quality the models supplied now to Austrailia are going to be in future as GBL are basicaly in a mess, and old tooling as it further degenerates is not going to help.

(I do have real experience as I worked for Corgi for 7 years as a Toolmaker)

Paul

As a subscriber I've had no problems. And the issues are still coming, in the order they stated.

A post today tells you how to order back issues, or you can use the website at extra cost.

No-one here has complained (much) about the quality of 'Rocket', it's what you'd expect for the price. The coaches have been well received.

How are GBL 'a mess'? And why do you think they are using old tooling? Clearly they have retooled old designs, not bought the tools.

Sorry Smiffy, I'm very miffed with GBL that I suscribe to.  I'm short of issue 17 , no 21, no 23, and no 25  as well as no 27 Rocket, purchased a Rocket on Ebay, (promised to my wife whos in poor health) but without the mag, the chimney leans to the left its so badly assembled.

Most persons trying to obtain Rockets are only interested in the coach.

No 26 Mogul arrived last week, was not enamered with the finish.

Old Tooling

Many GBL tools (Moulds) by now will be getting very worn, take it from me you can't run moulds for many weeks without having to take them out of production to re-bed/ recut and of course, as many run on auto theres always the problem of stickers that dont clear the mould and severe damage results. (Especialy with die cast) I spent 7 years at Corgi, but have also helped build, repair and develop plastic moulds, as well as maintain the machinery and tooling needed over many years with other companies.

Ejection pins break, and electric elements on heated runner system fail, all can cause severe damage.

Service

GBL customer service is in a mess, I've spent hours so far on the phone trying to get my missing models, its always the same answer when you get through "sorry but the models are out of stock, we will send them to you as soon as we get new stock!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't want to reorder back issues, just want to get the models I took out my subscription to obtain, as well as the magazine parts which I have to admit are excellent.

Paul

Edited by pricesq

• RMweb Premium

Brit15

Thanks for the heads up on this Apollo, I will have to try to get in there & see if they have any left this morning.  I don't get chance to go into central Wigan during the week.  I'll echo what you say about patchy distribution, GBL seems to have disappeared from Sainsburys (my nearest supplier until recently) and even Asda hasn't had any since the Standard 4. 

Regards

Moxy

Sorry Smiffy, I'm very miffed with GBL that I suscribe to.  I'm short of issue 17 , no 21, no 23, and no 25  as well as no 27 Rocket, purchased a Rocket on Ebay, (promised to my wife whos in poor health) but without the mag, the chimney leans to the left its so badly assembled.

I referred to the chimey leaning to one side on mine, its not difficult to correct, the glue should give easilly (although disassembled mine and pushed the chimey out from the insise - see earlier posting for it disassembled) and whilst the chimney is off you can paint the front of the boiler black.

Edited by Butler Henderson

The L&M Coach, what is the opinion about the 'W' irons (aka axlebox guides)?
Looking at the photo below, the axle box guides seem to stop behind the lower piece of framing, I would venture to say I can see the tops of the wheels in the gap where that rodding goes through (from each buffer to a central spring).

OK, the forces may not have been that great on the axle box guides, but I would have thought from an engineering perspective, a little more support would have been supplied/needed.  I suppose these could be a form of inverted 'Y'.

Yes, I have a couple of these coaches too and I'm modifying them - My local Newsagent wanted rid of the £8.99 mags and offered them to me for £6.50 each....  :sungum:

PS - What a difference painting the window surrounds red/brown, mahogany etc., makes.

I'm in the process of thinning them down anyway.

post-6979-0-55481800-1425735496.jpg

Edited by Penlan

Just seen this view too, definitely see the tops of the wheels here.

.. And I hadn't appreciated the 'Buffer Beams' had holes in them too.

post-6979-0-64387900-1425736253.jpg

post-6979-0-30899500-1425736461.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2