Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Having got 2 Bachmann N class, one with 4mt chimney and straight sided tender, one with original chimney and taper sided tender, I thought I'd miss this one, but am now thinking U class. Especially as the GBL one will be based on the Bachmann model anyway,   so it should look ok alongside the others.

The Bachmann N is imho one of  their better models. The only running problem I've had with them is a tendency for the tender to derail from time to time. The tender wheel base is quite long.  Going through some old copies of Model Rail I came across an article on the Bachmann N where this derailment problem was mentioned. The suggested solution was to remove the centre wheels and carefully drill the axle box enlarging it vertically but not horizontally so the centre axle could rise and fall.  The tender is therefore supported on the front and rear axles alone and this has done the trick. Both locos now run reliably.

I'd forgotten the straight sided tender question. So now my L1 will get a proper tender at last. (Not long after I acquired a second Tri-ang one to modify - it will have now have to do for my 3F now.)

It looks like I will have to make the sacrifice and buy two!

It seems an age since the D11came out, and it was one of the best efforts. I picked up 3 (2 more than I needed, or 3 more if Mrs R is to believed). I got 2 running and the last sat on the pile with the rest of the "to do" list. I've managed to pick up a cheap Schools loco drive chassis and tender of the Spares or Repair type, and have got it running, This prompted me to dig out the last D11 and I'm wondering how easy it will be to convert to the earlier D10. The main visual difference is the cab, but I don't know much about these locos so would be glad of any tips. The cab I have on the photo is an etch from a GN K3, and there are quite a few differences. The cab roof will need work to replicate the rainstrips etc, the cab "window" is a different shape so would need filing, and there would need to be some pretty extensive filling at the bottom front. On balance it might be easier to build a cab from plasticard. On the other hand, I'll end up with something different, as the last loco survived until Nov 1955

If anyone has done this sort of conversion from either the GBL or Bachmann model, I'd be interested in how they got on.

post-1659-0-84703500-1427536234_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I thought from the first glance at that picture that you were aiming to do something like a D2!

I wouldn't use that K3 cab etch for a D10. Why not take the D11 cab, cut off the rear extension from the roof and then replace the cab sides with some pieces of plastic sheet cut to the right profile? I plan to do one but I'm a long way from getting round to it. The profile of the main frames above the running plate, under the boiler behind the smokebox also needs to be trimmed down to suit a D10. None of the D10s had that final wide-bodied self-trimming version of the GCR tender by the way. Have a good look at the boiler mountings on a correctly dastes photo of the actual loco you want to model too.

Thanks, Graeme - I actually pm'd you on the other site. I accept that the K3 etch isn't suitable, and your suggestion seems the best way forward. I'd spotted the change needed to the mainframes, - I'm actually glad when there is a decent but achievable visual difference between the locos - but hadn't realised there was an issue with the tender, Blast. Do you know anyone who does a resin casting?

Hi Rowanj and Graham,

I am about to do the very thing.  Convert a D11 to a D10, specifically 62654 Walter Burgh Gair.  He was a family member.

The main frames were stepped as Graham has said. The cab had the cut out sides and the back portion of the D11 can roof needs to be trimmed. 

The boiler was 2.54mm (1") lower than the D11, but in OO this works out to be .33mm.   So wont be noticeable.

The tender is different,  but I think I can live with that for a while.

I have been looking to do this for a while.  Rather than build a kit I thought I would tackle the Bachmann D11 Prince Albert.  After thinking about the cab sides a bit, I initially thought I would use plasticard, but checked a Bachmann 04 cab and have ordered a 04 body from Bachmann @ gbp40, so not a cheap option, but I could not get the detail as good.  I will post a photo when I have done it.  I will file the main frames and cab roof and try and reposition the rivets and builders plates.  I have also ordered the nameplate and cabside no's from Modelmaster decals.

PDK do a etched brass kit.  I didn't think to ask them if they would supply a tender kit.  Maybe down the track.

I will be happy when its done.  Then Bachmann may announce one?

Mark Gair

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't it be great if they did a loco that had been a kit type but not ready to run.

I asked this question some way back on this thread : Page 150 Post # 3744,  and was given an authoritative explanation as to why this would not happen in the GBL series.

Unfortunately, not long afterwards, the source of the explanation chose to leave the thread (forum?) and appears to have deleted all his posts including the technical explanation as to why kits are not able to be copied from in the same way as RTR models. I do recall some prospect that built up Plastic Kits could become source material for the future subjects in the series, but would now be very doubtful that this would come to fruition, since the same contributor mentioned his own collection of Kitmaster and other models as prospective candidates for copying.

Regards,

John

Thanks Mark (Markeg) . I'd completely forgotten that I had an O4 boiler and cab left over from a conversion I'd made to the O4/8. I've fitted the cab loosely to the D11 after some gentle carving. and am satisfied that it will work. The gap between cab and boiler closed with finger pressure and should disappear when glued in place, though a touch of filler will probably still be required.

Can anyone advise on what can/should be done to the tender? I assume it's too wide?

Edit - I've posted the carved up chassis on my thread

post-1659-0-10034400-1427548835_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 1

....Convert a D11 to a D10, specifically 62654 Walter Burgh Gair.  He was a family member.

The main frames were stepped as Graham has said. The cab had the cut out sides and the back portion of the D11 can roof needs to be trimmed. 

The boiler was 2.54mm (1") lower than the D11, but in OO this works out to be .33mm.   So wont be noticeable....

I've forgotten how the GBL D11 body dismantles, but 0.33mm is literally the width of a saw blade.

Might be worth asking Mike and Judith Edge if they could lend you their 4mm drawing as used in their own D10 kit.

PDK do a etched brass kit.  I didn't think to ask them if they would supply a tender kit.  ....

They do what appears to be a generic 4000gallon Robinson - click here - but at seventy quid, you'd need to make certain it would produce the variant you want. Again, worth asking Mike and Judith Edge if they would sell their D10 tender separately.

From the list we have already (which has been accurate up to now), we are near to the end of the series anyway (there were to be 48 IIRC?). Assuming they do actually do them all, there are sufficient R-T-R models without going into the dubious area of assembled kits. Examples :- Diesel classes 08, 31, 35, 42,  steam L1, J50, 4F, 2251 and even an EM2 electric*. Others are available without considering more recent releases.

* these are all quite acceptable models - more so than some we've had.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3

I've had nothing since issue 22. Spoken to them twice and get the same answer about the models being out of stock, so at least they're consistent with that. Does beg the question though that if I'm a subscriber then surely they should order enough issues to cover the subs. That will be my question to them tomorrow.

Cheers

Shane

I'm another one who hasn't had any problems with delivery. I haven't had that many build / quality control issues either, maybe an occasional loose or slightly misaligned part. But nothing serious. Even my two Princesses didn't have the kink in the running plates that others seemed to have suffered with.

Maybe I should touch wood now. :superstition:

Jason

If the series goes to fifty issues - which seems likely given the list King Pin was given - there won't be a single LBSCR loco. I think that's a damned shame. Where's my terrier? (Apart from the two Hornby Club specials in September).

I'm vewwy cwoss.

Surely if they are making a profit, they will continue and continue? That's what they're in it for. The fact that they are still available in shops must mean that these are selling better than a lot of part works.

It isn't unheard for a partwork to exceed its original planned run. The James bond car collection was planned to run to 40, but actually ended at issue 134.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_Car_Collection

True, and some of the French series have gone on for three years. I just don't have that sort of feeling about GBL. They'll be freeing up capacity for a new series.

Perhaps 'Great Locomotives of the Brighton Line'?

Incidentally, and a propos the making of new moulds, the 1/48 bus series I got the RT from sells for €19.99 - twice the cost of GBL. I wonder if the British market would bear that?

I'm also wondering where anyone would put a collection of 1/48 buses...

• Like 1