Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Just had my B12 arrive - picked up by a friend in Glasgow as I couldn't find any at the usual suspects in Edinburgh. I'm quite impressed with this one, almost wishing I'd asked for a second one to keep the livery as it is! Almost seems a shame to slice it up...

• Like 2

D10 lined and awaiting weathering, which will be quite heavy judging from the photo I have of the last survivor in 1955. Cabside numbers and nameplates are on order from Modelmasters. As usual, I'll post a few more on my thread, and try to find time for a final pic there when the loco is finished.

This is my last post as I'm about to embark on a 3 month loco - free trip to France and my wife isn't keen on soldering in the caravan !!!

post-1659-0-40567100-1428176349_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have a B12 in the pile, though my inclination is to try to modify it to a variety of D16. I see no reason why it can't be made to fit onto a Hornby chassis, or indeed a Triang one. The issue for those who care is the old one of the errors in the body dimensions. I don't think anyone really managed to get over them without using the Crownline kit. Personally, I would be happy with the sort of mods Simon Martin achieved on his excellent blog of a couple of years ago. A Google search should find it.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 1

...Well I am surprised that no one has posted a conversion of the B12. With so many chassis out there I would have thought it would have been a quick one to do. I look forwards to any further conversions to give me inspiration.

As Rowanj suggests, a little searching for previous projects here may well turn up some inspiration. I rather feel this one hardly needs a GBL production, as the Triang-Hornby onward production of this item is in pretty free supply: and can on occasion be got for the less than an easily achieved price for the XO4 concealed within.

• Like 1

Spoke to Amercom Customer Service today. I explained that I have had nothing since issue 22 and that money has been taken. The lady did say that the suppliers keep promising delivery of the outstanding models but so far are being let down. Did state the fact that there seemed plenty in the shops but why don't they hold stock to fulfil subs. Didn't seem to be able to answer that one but was very apologetic. They're hoping to resolve the backlog by the end of April.

If The Weathering Man was still here perhaps he could have used his 'contact' and 'insider knowledge' to find out what was going on. But I doubt it.

Cheers

Shane

Well I now have No26, but no No25, or No 27,28,29,30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope they can resolve problems by the end of April, but going on whats occured with my subscription so far don't have much hope!

As you point out how can they ship some to the retail suppliers, but not to subscribers?

Customer service is non-existant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Guest spet0114

With all this slicing and dicing going on, does anyone have (or is likely to have) a chimney from a 57xx that they're not likely to need?

I have an old Triang-Hornby pannier which is complete apart from it's chimney.  If anyone has one to spare, I'd be willing to pay a fair price and cover postage.

Thanks!
Adrian

• Like 1

If you can't get one off someone on here, 247 Developments make white metal Pannier Tank chimneys. £2.50 plus postage of about £1.

Jason

Especially as the original chimney tapers the wrong way, from bottom to top and needs replacement anyway. IIRC it's not quite as bad as the later 2721 though.

Used to love the pre-selector gear operation noise on RT's as a kid. And on freezing cold winter days if you could get the front aisle seats on the bottom deck there was that huge metal housing  - nice and warm - to put your feet on. what do we suppose the typical top speed was? 25mph, and that only downhill? Fine looking model, really has the character off to a 'T'.

Sorry this is a bit late in responding..only found it by accident!

The 'top speed' for the  RT was around 40-45 mph.

About on a par with the nasty plastic Routemaster! [Which replaced it]

I was trained by London Transport [the real London Transport, not today's ethereal apology]....back in 1972 [as soon as I was old enough, pretty much]....and drove the RT in anger for two years. I worked from New Cross depot, on the No. 1 route, secondary base being Waterloo bus stand ...

Marvellous employer....looked after the coal-face workers.

The RT did not have the benefit of power steering.....so the pre-selector gearbox was  a boon when 'ear'oling around the Elephant 'n Castle roundabout.

In those days, Surrey Docks was....Surrey Docks! Nothing better woke one up than a cold winter's morning, finding out too late the entire top deck was full of 19 stone dockers!

The angle of lean round bends was dramatic and worrying.....

IN the summer, down Oxford Street, we weren't supposed to have the windscreen open.....but with that tumping AEC motor plodding away next to one's left leg...plus the huge [external] radiator...with its even huger rubber filler cap....any sort of breeze was welcome.

Yes, the RT was perceived as 'slow'.....acceleration hadn't been invented when they were built.........but you'd be driving damned slow if you had to turn the steering wheel, with 60 or 70 folk behind you on board.

The Routemaster, on the other hand, had an Automatic transmission, [in top gear position only, ] with manual control available available for the lower gears....they didn't have a proper front axle [more like a giant Vauxhall Viva, really]...and they had power steering......which made a world of difference to the driving environment.  They almost 'floated' over bumps and stuff......and were nowhere near as physical to drive as the RT.

They got up to speed more quickly, too.

But, on the No.1 route, the only place one could get legally above 30mph was when one's turn took one south towards Bromley.

Horses for courses, buses were geared to perform well within the speed limit prevailing.

But, as a whole, the RT was the 'nicer' bus to drive......but, if one didn't watch where the gear selector ended up.....one could put one's conductor hard up against the front , upstairs....when you found you'd selected 2nd gear, instead of the expected 4th! Believe me, you got what you wanted!

Today's buses are pansies by comparison!

• Like 6

Did a little work earlier on the pannier tanks first one I repainted the front black second one I repainted BR black it's going to be one of the Scottish ones. Probably totally wrong for one of these models but rule 1 applies

• Like 2

Touched up my pannier, with a black front, green sides to spashers and a green safety valve cover.

post-19880-0-60624100-1428425517_thumb.jpg

With regards to a 8750 to 16xx (Scottish allocated pannier) conversions, there is some work do do to it (here next to my 16xx) but it would look better using the GBL one than using a Bachmann 8750 as the tank on the GBL one is flat.

post-19880-0-11776200-1428425544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Twright
  • Like 5

A bit late, but I have only just taken my B12 to bits and started the work to put a Tri-ang Hornby chassis in!

Some surprising separate parts have been found. The chimney on mine was a bit wonky, but levering it made it come away...handy for making a hole through it and the smaokebox top.

Whike carving away the locating pillars in the boiler, I spotted that the "snifting valve" behind the chimney is also a separate part!

One question has arrisen...the GBL loco has a separate part forming the bottom of the boiler behind the smokebox. Now this part was not present on the Tri-ang Hornby models. (The Synchrosmoke unit fitted to most is here!).

Is this part present on the Hornby (China) production models. (I haven't actually seen one of these in "the flesh"....

The boiler "sides" at the firebox require a bit of thinning to pass the motor easily.

The backhead is separate from the cab moulding, which is separate from the boiler, which is separate from the footplate. All one piece on the Tri-ang Hornby, and hollow for the motor!

The smokebox door IS a separate part on the Tri-ang models. The whole front of the smokebox is a separate part on the GBL Loco.

The Cab front and backhead need a slot cutting out to go other the motor and part of the chassis.

The footplate requires a LOT of cutting out!

Anyone using a Hornby (China) chassis will possibly find that not so much cutting has to be done, as the motor is different, the wheels are finer flanged, and there is no smoke unit to accomodate.

More to follow....

With the rampant success of this thread, those of us who dip in from time to time find it hard to locate the posts listing the forthcoming locomotives in the series. Could I ask "someone in the know" to put such information in a new thread (which maybe through the good offices can become a "sticky") where it may be readily accessible?

Discussions, conversions, pictures etc. can continue uninterrupted here.

• Like 3

The latest releases are on the Great British locomotives website if you are looking for that information. Next release a week today is the N class the next one should be announced this Friday. Though sometimes it's the Monday.

Another good use for these models is as spare parts sources for unobtainable Hornby spares. A damaged Coronation that I picked up for a fiver has so far donated the the undercab pipework for a Hornby Duchess and a front coupling hook for a Castle.

From here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/?p=1771534

30 Collett 57xx Pannier tank - Current
31 Maunsell ‘N’ class
32 Britannia and the 7MTs
33 Stanier ‘8F’
34 Western diesel hydraulic
35 Gresley J39 class
36 Hawksworth ‘Counties’
37 Lord Nelson 4-6-0s
38 Ivatt ‘2MTs’ (model is 2-6-2T)
39 Peppercorn ‘A1/A2s’ 
40 Brush Type 4

.....With regards to a 8750 to 16xx (Scottish allocated pannier) conversions, there is some work do do to it (here next to my 16xx) but it would look better using the GBL one than using a Bachmann 8750 as the tank on the GBL one is flat.....

With that strange knack of timing, an old Hornby pannier bodyshell has turned up here and, having seen your 3D-printed 16xx, there do appear - on the face of it - to be possibilities of either going down the 16xx or even the 64/74xx route. Lop off the "bump" of the smokebox top, the top feed and safety valve, shave off the remains of the smokebox door (something tells me the correct door would be the same diameter as the one on the 14xx), saw out the "built-up" sides of the smokebox and then get going with the footplate......

I need to take a pattern of the cabsides for use in the experimental Lima 94xx-to-15xx conversion.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Has anyone experienced major problems in removing the screws from a GBL Model - have just spent forty minutes removing a "V2" from its base - thirty of which were taken by trying to separate the tender from its base! I ended up using pliers and molegrips to break the base up into pieces after the taking out the first innermost screw - its twin sister was less than obliging and just chewed up the screwdriver head (phillips type) and itself! it finally turned when around 90 pc of the base had gone. Why the screws have tightened so hard beggars belief!! Grrhhh - rant over!!  :yahoo:

Has anyone experienced major problems in removing the screws from a GBL Model - have just spent forty minutes removing a "V2" from its base - thirty of which were taken by trying to separate the tender from its base! I ended up using pliers and molegrips to break the base up into pieces after the taking out the first innermost screw - its twin sister was less than obliging and just chewed up the screwdriver head (phillips type) and itself! it finally turned when around 90 pc of the base had gone. Why the screws have tightened so hard beggars belief!! Grrhhh - rant over!!  :yahoo:

I can identify with this! I bought a few Mallards (thinking I will eventually get around to hacking them into representations of the Great Gathering locos with odds and ends) and several of them I can't get the tenders off the display bases. I've chewed up the screws and am not looking forward to Dremelling through the base to release the screws. It seems like the screws are applied with a power tool, or by a bodybuilder...

Edited by Skinnylinny