RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Hello

Really like the weathering it moves the GBLs into another league

Regards

I remember reading a quote from the early years of railway modelling (probably by LBSC?) that "a coat of paint hides/covers a multitude of tins...."

The excellent weathering job on the Brit seems to bear this out!

• Like 2

I think they exist to sell magazines and models to the general public who are not as discerning or critical as hobbyists. And they do a job of it.

In fairness, the magazines I've had with the models I've bought have generally been pretty interesting and full of things that I (as a rail enthusiast) didn't know. There have been some minor slip-ups (but what magazine can ever claim not to have had any?) but overall, I've actually been impressed with the standard of the magazine, given it's been pitched at the non-enthusiast. Granted, some of the models have been of a poorer quality than others, but they've mostly been very good copies of already-made models, and it's the parentage of the models involved that is to blame. 

To my mind, the models look good (often with only minor issues), and I'm happy to display them on my shelves until such time as I get around to hacking them about. And I've been keeping the magazines too!

It does seem a little unfair to complain about the locating guides....They were present on models made by Tri-ang Railways, Tri-ang Hornby, Hornby Railways and Hornby...

GBL including them shows the resolution of the scanning process! They are not massisve! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

True.

Perhaps the series should also be seen as providing a cheap nostalgia trip for people of a certain age who once ran the Golden Arrow on the lounge carpet.

I notice that the "Buy and Sell" title appears briefly before logging -in, it would be nice for the powers-that-be to give us an update on progess made. The other thing was that given that the GBL Magazines are so thin, if the series is to finish no.41, why issue another free binder for just another ten copies (?), or am I being suspicious???  :declare:

It's probably an 'unstoppable machine' type process; there was going to be a free binder issued roughly in the middle of the 'second half' of the orignally planned series of 52 issues, and no one got to the 'off switch' in time.

Regarding the Britannia, another accurately reproduced inaccuracy of the Triang model is the bogie position, which is too far forward. Altering this was one of the quickest and simplest ways to improve the Triang model's appearance and will work just as well on this replica.

True.

Perhaps the series should also be seen as providing a cheap nostalgia trip for people of a certain age who once ran the Golden Arrow on the lounge carpet.

Well, Dick,   it was the Flying Scotsman for me, actually, but  GBL haven't cloned any Hornby Dublo 3 rail.... :senile:

IMHO, cloning the Dublo model would have produced a better model than the one they did... (provided they didn't copy the cab full of motor of the ringfield versions!).

I was rather expecting a 'Duchess', but we got the streamlined version and a 'Princess' instead*. It's just as well as I have quite a few** Dublo 'Coronations' already (Still need a 'City of Liverpool', and a C.P.R. 1215, but seeing what they cost, I'll have to do without (or fake them :secret: ). I must finishing fitting the Dublo chassis in one of my streamline GBL '6220's (to become 'City of Bristol').

*I'm not complaining :)  though 'Coronation' should be blue of course. (Renaming to do - one will be 'City of Bristol' and the other??? - I could just add a headlight, I suppose, but that would need a train to match......) (The Emoticon is supposed to be a Smiley :) , like in the toolbar and list, but comes out as moronic!)

** Let's say I'm running out of 'curved frame' names....

Edited by Il Grifone

Could you provide a description of how to move the bogie?

On the Triang original, one removed the bogie by undoing a screw, drilled a new hole for the screw in the bar on which the bogie pivotted, and neatly cut off the overlength end of the bar with the original screw hole, then reattached. A little plastic carving to clear the bogie wheels, and done. That's a memory from the best part of fifty years ago, and I don't have the item to look at anymore, swapped it for a broken 'Kiev' rangefinder camera (which I fixed).

On the GBL, saw a chunk out of the casting as required would be my 'starter for 10' answer. But I don't have one to look at, so that is just a suggestion.

• Like 1

It's quite straightforward. Three screws secure the chassis to the body. One is hidden under the plastic plate that holds the bogie wheels in place, which needs to be unclipped. The locomotive is now in four pieces - body, chassis, front bogie and rear pony truck. At the front of the chassis, there is a boss which holds the bogie in line - this needs to be filed flush. Then drill a new hole for the bogie in the correct place and the job is done. Painting over all that silver and possibly resiting the steps from the bogie to the body is next and then the model can be reassembled. (Further detailing is optional.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The nameplate looks to be copied from the later 'adhesive label' style, certainly not the early tin plate version which tabbed into the smoke deflectors.

John

Managed a closer look at the model today and to my surprise there are 'tabs' behind the nameplates affixing them to slots in the smoke deflectors. (The plates also seem to be varnished over on my model.)

The lozenge shape of the nameplates on the GBL Britannia is however more akin to the adhesive nameplate labels which adorned later Tri-Ang models. The nameplates on Tri-Ang's earliest offerings were very square ended, ie true rectangles.

Edit for clarity.

Edited by Brit70053
  • Like 1