Great British Locomotives

EddieB

A nice looking 8F - now for a renumbering into an appropriate '67 identity, with a "not under the wires" diagonal, limescale around washout plugs, etc, an overheated smokebox door, and so much FILTH that its barely possible to discern the number, let alone the BR crest.....

A wonky tender vent would be positively in character!

• Like 6

Nice to see it is the latest Hornby 8F (reverser rod and lack of screw housing under the smokebox confirm this), also even better it has a riveted tender, which can be swapped with some of the welded ones on the GBL Black 5's to provide some variety to both classes.

• Like 2

Is it just me or are the number on the loco and the number on the plinth rather different? The loco appears to be 8233 (based on the cabside and smokebox 'plate) but it looks like the stand refers to number 8142. Have I missed something?

Not that it'll affect me, of course - I'll be chucking the base away - but just curious. Perhaps the labels were printed before the final model was decided on? Or perhaps just pure carelessness... A pity, given what looks to be a rather nice 8F!

• Like 2

I didn't need another 8F.....

But I got one anyway  :sungum:  :)

She looks very good on first glance, apart from an excess of glue to sort out. The valvegear looks OK (on the LHS anyway) for once.

Definately one of the better ones, thought it might be an earlier Margate example, of which i have a body awaiting a possible butchers job for its firebox and boiler onto the forthcoming county, as suggested by Tim Shackelton in his inproving plastic body locos book.

That is of course if the County is the 460 not 440....then again....anyway clearly a latter Hornby...slight scratching around one of the front steampipes on my example..?.....cant think how they got be there unless some rough handling....will be as the Royal scot cosmetically improved but not motorised anytime soon. Hornby chassis for this dont seem to be plentiful.I do.have comet frames and motion but not the second mortgage to buy the markits wheelset, appropriate gearbox and motor. I feel this is the paradox of purchasing any cheap bodies from whatever source...the undercarriage costs can outweigh buying the fully monty especially second hand examples. This is of course offset by the satisfaction of creating your own loco, especially if using it to create an unusual variant. In conclusion more models added to my collection, my beloved questioning how much they would fetch if sold, and lastly me wondering, how i would cope with the ironing in her absence if ever she did sell them...only joking dear if ever you read this...honest..as if i would ever ever iron..

• Like 1

post-23587-0-00544200-1431521655.jpgto add to an earlier post 8f boiler etch added to scratch running plate and cab...to create stanier 260...Bachmann tender and comet models chassis....nice work on your 8f darrel
  • Like 8

Is it just me or are the number on the loco and the number on the plinth rathenr differet? The loco appears to be 8233 (based on the cabside and smokebox 'plate) but it looks like the stand refers to number 8142. Have I missed something?

Not that it'll affect me, of course - I'll be chucking the base away - but just curious. Perhaps the labels were printed before the final model was decided on? Or perhaps just pure carelessness... A pity, given what looks to be a rather nice 8F!

Mixed numbers doees seem to be a GBL speciality! ;)  This is not the first by any means! ;)

... Hornby chassis for this dont seem to be plentiful...

I suspect that any that did become available in the not too distant past have usually been hoovered up quickly; because until the fairly recent (almost startling!) glut of RTR 2-8-0 offerings, this was the only 'regular' spoked wheel eight coupled loco driven freight chassis available in OO. And I don't think the 8F has been produced that much lately while Hornby got on with the newly tooled 28/38/42/52/72xx and O1.

Managed to get two from Peterborough smiffs. Good value really for spares. One will he kept on display until I need a boiler or tender body. That's what I've been using the majority of the collection for, spare boilers so I don't have to roll my own!!

• Like 3

Well Asda had just one so  I bought that. Looks like one of GBLs better ones. Like Jinty and 4MT tank, would make a good model on a, for example, comet type chassis, I think.   Since Darrel's already posted some good pics of the loco I'll just post these -

post-4032-0-97134800-1431541289.jpg

Tender fine,  vents ok, plates well printed.

post-4032-0-70508500-1431541376.jpg

However, a gap between boiler and cab. Cab doors and steps are badly attached.  However, if the loco is going to be used for motorising, gluing it all back together won't be difficult.

post-4032-0-20553500-1431541558.jpg

The footplate is solid right across loco so the dremel drill  and rotary cutter will be needed.

post-4032-0-29858400-1431541636.jpg

Likewise tender chassis.

post-4032-0-04106500-1431541765.jpg

Lastly since Horndy Dublo 3 rail has been mentioned recently, here's the GBL 8F alongside an H-D LT25 8F on a piece of genuine 3 rail track...

The H-D loco is the original release with the 3 pole motor before the later ringfield version came out, where the motor then took up the whole cab and looked awful.

All in all the GBL 8F looks a good 'un.

• Like 5

Picked up my 8F from the local Sainsbugs this lunchtime - an excellent static model, tank vents straight and no gaps anywhere.  The assembler must have found their glasses again!

Now for some cogitation before the paintshop...

I like that comparison of the HD 8F with the GBL version.  For a 50 year old model, the HD is a cracker!

• Like 1

What excellent models the Hornby Dublo series were....we moved house when I was ten years old...my new next door neighbour Mr Burton had an extensive three rail system in his spare room....the joy of that railway still compares ( if not beats in some ways) my current efforts ...the three rail duchess still conveys the power of the real loco , in a way that has only recently been matched by the latest RTR incarnations of that model...nostalgia...not what it used to be...and lastly in another layout in my village a two rail HD 8f trundling around a loft with numerous wagons. To those two layout builders sadly no longer with us...thank you for the best of memories and a sincere hope my humble efforts continue your legacy...anyway back to the ironing

• Like 2

Just taken the GBL 8F to pieces, boiler unscrews from footplate, smokebox comes off as well, everything else is glued together. 

post-4032-0-21537700-1431553805.jpg

Should be plenty of room for a mech inside boiler, just a space needs cutting in footplate. Also, apart from a comet kit chassis, a Hornby loco or earlier tender drive would presumably fit?

• Like 2

Picked up my 8F from the local Sainsbugs this lunchtime - an excellent static model, tank vents straight and no gaps anywhere.  The assembler must have found their glasses again!

Now for some cogitation before the paintshop...

I like that comparison of the HD 8F with the GBL version.  For a 50 year old model, the HD is a cracker!

Certainly didn't have his correct  glasses with mine :blind:

Which said, all the bits are there and it looks as if it could be the basis for an ok working model (eventually!)   Hornby haven't made an 8F for some time now and it was a very significant prototype so this is one way to get one.

Re the H-D model,  think the 8F and the castle had raised the bar for them, but perhaps a little too late.

• Like 1

....Lastly since Horndy Dublo 3 rail has been mentioned recently, here's the GBL 8F alongside an H-D LT25 8F ... The H-D loco is the original release with the 3 pole motor ...

The H-D 8F was always the stand out model for me in their range, as it was the sole example in RTR of the typical UK heavy freight machine which could be seen every day on any significant route. (H-D could only have gone one better by choosing the WD 2-8-0 for almost nationwide coverage - but they were generally despised by young train spotters - let's face it, those of us born post war 'knew nothing'.) In the 'representng the prototype' stakes it truly nailed it, the also much liked BR std 4MTT it's nearest rival in this respect. Apart from having bodies that were decently accurate I think this is because the underscale wheel diameter didn't hurt these models, as it did the otherwise generally decent models of the express types which were given a decidedly 'mixed traffic' look.

Unless prepared to build a kit chassis, a suitable mechanism is the problem. What I did for a cheap RTR eight coupled loco drive chassis while running OO in the garden thirty odd years ago, is loot the running gear from Rivarossi/AHM HO USRA  2-8-2s. (Regular business trips to North America helped with economic acquisition.) The regular driving wheel spacing isn't representative of UK practise, but the eight all flanged 18mm diameter drivers and decent drive line (with easy fitting of an alternative motor if required) made up for that.

WHSmith at Warminster had three  in the display this morning, all seemed to be pretty straight.  Only one left now, as I picked up an extra one for my SiL, who is modelling the S&D.

Thank goodness for auto-save, I thought I'd posted this at 09:45.

Edited by Theo C. Cupier
  • Like 1

My 2-Rail HD 8f (Proper half-inch open frame motor version, the first type! :) ) is one loco that I will not want to part with.

I have a Wrenn tender as well, so can run it with all Dublo, or Tri-ang type couplings (The Tri-ang Converter wagon is also useful!).

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3