Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I've never been particularly impressed by GBL models (for the price though, its kind of fair enough), but I had a quick look at the 8F in Hillsborough Sainsburys. I was sorely tempted, it looks pretty good! I then remembered I don't have much money thanks to my purchase of a Hornby 8F a few months ago!

I'm getting a few 'Friendly/Supportives' for this - thanks chaps! But don't worry about me, I'm quite happy having a working model :)

• Like 4

Neither WHS Ealing nor Brent Cross had a Western. Brent Cross said they only had one, which was sold the same day it hit the shelf, so might have been someone on this Forum!

Asda Colindale had none.

Whilst in Torquay yesterday I called into WH Smiths, not for the GBL ( lost interest a long time ago I'm afraid) however, I noticed a chap with the Issue 34 Western in his hand and a beaming smile across his face. It was the last one in the shop apparently.

In my polite, but usual style I remarked " I expect it'll be converted and running tonight then?".

To which I got the reply, " oh ! No it's going straight on eBay I'll get lots for it !"

I didn't really bother to converse following his reply !

• Like 1

Going completely against its usual grain, WHS Ealing surprisingly produced the grand total of one Western this morning. It's not there any more......

.... I got the reply, " oh ! No it's going straight on eBay I'll get lots for it !"....

That's what he thinks.

there is one on ebay at the mo for £19.99+p&p

I wouldn't waste my time even clicking on the eBay logo !

Edited by bgman

there is one on ebay at the mo for £19.99+p&p

Its possible to collect the whole set so far on ebay at £19.99 + p&p each.  wonder who buys past GBL issues at silly prices?

£9 for a single model to "play" with is a convincing proposition, its cheaper than buying moribund Triang/Hornby locos to cut&shut and experiment with livery changes and weathering effects. Anything more is madness.  And if you want to collect the things, you'd have taken out a subscription,,,,,

.... great way to experiment with if like me your not very good so dosnt really matter if I ###### it up! 

Even if you are proficient, they are still very useful as experimental test-beds to try new ideas.

The Western looks eminently useable, and I think I will try to stuff a Dapol Western chassis into it - DCC Supplies sell complete working ones as spares, plus many other useful Dapol Western parts - as well as correcting some of the flaws via Brassmasters.

• Like 3

that would be great how much are they ?

The Dapol chassis is a shade under £79.

Brassmasters correction kit is £25.

would it be difficult to do ?

The body corrections aren't necessarily difficult.

Getting it to sit on the Dapol mechanism is the great unknown.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol chassis is a shade under £79.

Brassmasters correction kit is £25.

The body corrections aren't necessarily difficult.

Getting it to sit on the Dapol mechanism is the great unknown.

You can get, from the Liverpool emporium, a Pre-owned Like New Dapol Western for £89, or a new one for £109.

The GBL / Dapol / Brassmasters project doesn't stack up from a financial perspective.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• RMweb Premium

No project does. It's not always about the money.

Couldn't agree more - but I doubt that the result of this one could better the Dapol version - I have Western Enterprise and I still drool over it !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Will that not invalidate the warranty?

Probably - but what the h*ll, it just takes me straight back to Snow Hill station in the early 60s.

Panniers shuffling about; the Blue Pullman standing there all superior; scruffy freight locos slogging out of the tunnels with endless mixed freights; DMUs scurrying off to who knew where; and brand new Westerns in all the colours of the rainbow, (or so it seemed).

Heaven !!!  :imsohappy:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 7

I often muse on how the northern layout of Snow Hill would make a fantastic layout...the great cathedral that was the traln shed...well the front of it could act as a scenic break...the bay platforms..crossover points...all on a raised area that was the viaduct...throw in carriage sidings..a turntable...an over the tracks signal box....oh for those six numbers...

• Like 1

This is how the GBL Western breaks down into the useable bits. The rest you can chuck out.

Incidentally, the cab, cab interior, glazing, buffer beams and valencing are all removable, plus the headcode "plates" pop out, leaving window openings for you to fit proper sized codes.

With the right bits and some ingenuity, you could have a lot of fun turning it into a runner.

post-6879-0-29962300-1432937796_thumb.jpg

GBL western with filler piece added moving roof cowl forwrd, sill reduced, this left the glazing unit with a too prominent rear widow frame, have removed rear window, filed thinner will replace with new clear pane in due coursepost-23587-0-28890600-1432993082.jpg

Probably - but what the h*ll, it just takes me straight back to Snow Hill station in the early 60s.

Panniers shuffling about; the Blue Pullman standing there all superior; scruffy freight locos slogging out of the tunnels with endless mixed freights; DMUs scurrying off to who knew where; and brand new Westerns in all the colours of the rainbow, (or so it seemed).

Heaven !!!  :imsohappy:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Memories!   I was there too!    I preferred 'Kings' and 'Castles' though.......  I copped my last 70xx 'Castle' (7016) and both 'Clun Castle' and a '45xx' (can't remember which one) as restored to GWR livery. There was an intriguing ancient GWR goods brake van there for ages (AA3??).

Greenhithe Asda only had Klingon starships and dinosaurs this morning, not a 'Western' to be seen!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Memories!   I was there too!    I preferred 'Kings' and 'Castles' though.......  I copped my last 70xx 'Castle' (7016) and both 'Clun Castle' and a '45xx' (can't remember which one) as restored to GWR livery. There was an intriguing ancient GWR goods brake van there for ages (AA3??).

Greenhithe Asda only had Klingon starships and dinosaurs this morning, not a 'Western' to be seen!

marsden rail the two Birmingham DVDs...snow hill in its prime..a lot of the film shot by my local model shop owner and friend John Tennant...about to retire...his brother Bob and he recorded much of the local (to me ) 1960s railway....their legacy cannot be overstated...along with people like Mike Mensing...

• RMweb Premium

There was an intriguing ancient GWR goods brake van there for ages (AA3??).

I remember it well !!

Cue Spam sandwiches with Branston pickle, Lyons fruit pies and Tizer - all in a duffel bag.

We travelled over from Wigston Glen Parva (Leicester) in a rattly and overheated DMU to New Street - then the walk across the city centre to Snow Hill.

I seem to recall that there was one stickler of a ticket inspector on the gate sometimes, who wouldn't accept platform tickets from us 'scruffy 'erberts' !! :nono:

He had to go for his break, eventually, though. 

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

My local station (Shirley) was rather far from home and trains ended up at Moor Street, so usually it was the Midland Red bus! New Street station was surrounded by model shops and dealers in electronic 'junk' in Hurst Street.

Dear all, about to go into "what shade" territory, were the Westerns painted British Railways maroon the same as the LM pacifics....I know they were built at Crewe.....the GBL looks more BR Crimson....this is a genuine enquiry, would appreciate your knowledge...