Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Does anybody do wheels for Caledonian 123?

Wikiperdia says the driver is 7ft.

The only wheels I can see that size are for 4-4-0s, and have holes for connecting rods.

Hi.

The Tri-ang "Single" wheels and axles are common between the 123, and the Lord of The Isles. Both the Driving Wheels and the trailing wheels are "pick up" wheels, and one each needs to be fitted with a plastic insulating bush. These are in "black" finish for the LoTI, and Blue finish for 123. Later editions have plated wheel tyres.

The one I have seen fit on the older pattern axles, S.2000 with splines for the driving gear, and S.2001 plain for the trailing wheels. Both types have splines at the ends for fitting the wheels.

The bogie wheels are more readily available as they are the same type as used by the R.350 L1 4-4-0, and the R.759 "Hall" 4-6-0 front bogies, except 123's wheels had the centres painted blue...

Have a good Christmas.

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

Hi.

The Tri-ang "Single" wheels and axles are common between the 123, and the Lord of The Isles. Both the Driving Wheels and the trailing wheels are "pick up" wheels, and one each needs to be fitted with a plastic inslating bush. These are in "black" finish for the LoTI, and Blue finish for 123. Later editions have plated wheel tyres.

The one I have seen fit on the older pattern axles, S.2000 with splines for the driving gear, and S.2001 plain for the trailing wheels. Both types have splines at the ends for fitting the wheels.

The bogie wheels are more readily available as they are the same type as used by the R.350 L1 4-4-0, and the R.759 "Hall" 4-6-0 front bogies, except 123's wheels had the centres painted blue...

Have a good Christmas.

They are indeed the same wheels, but were designed for the 'Dean Single' and are too large for the 'Caley' (which is why her splashers are generously dimensioned). Against this, they will fit, as the GBL model is a copy of the Tri-ang one and they are quite easy to find on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-X9651-4-2-2-Dean-Single-Driving-Wheel-Trailing-Wheel-Set-/310853263388

No connection with the seller beyond being a client, they were the first to appear in the search. (Might even get a set for my LoI.)

Otherwise some careful surgery on a set of Markits 7 foot wheels to remove the crank is a possibility. The mazak centre should stand the strain and a spot of plastic metal filler will complete the job. It won't be all that conspicuous partly hidden by the running plate valence and splasher.

• RMweb Premium

You don't have to go through ebay to buy from peters spares, you can buy direct through their website.

Thanks to recent production runs there are plenty of spares for the Lord of the Isles loco, these can also be used to motorise (or just detail) the caley 123.

Edited by Nile

I managed to pick up the last one in Eastleigh this afternoon. I could see why it had remained on the shelf - a lot of chipped / missing blue paint patches on the tender. I am sure it won't be too difficult to find a match and touch it up. Felt it was better to have the bird in the hand though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No post today, my 123 came from Asda.

I've put it next to my Triang one for comparison.

post-6821-0-95406200-1419442318_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-96606700-1419442231_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-71760000-1419442235_thumb.jpg

I've cut the front bit off of the Triang tender to reduce the gap, it still couples in the same way. The same mod should work with the GBL model.

The GBL model appears to have a separate dome, its finish is different to the boiler

• Like 1

Cheaper than Peters Spares (look at the postage)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X9651-Hornby-Spare-Loco-Drive-Wheel-Set-for-Dean-Single-/310674569091?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4855a5b783

Have used this supplier and they are invariably ££ cheaper than Peters Spares

I would agree on this, having bought from both in the past. As I said before it was only the first to come up in a search (Google). another suppliers are available.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This has to be the easiest GBL to take apart so far, 6 screws and it's apart, no annoying glue in the way.

post-6821-0-05769100-1419456924_thumb.jpg

The dome and safety valve cover are of blue plastic, the body black plastic.

post-6821-0-95045900-1419456929_thumb.jpg

Replacing the coal will be easy.

• Like 1

Santa brought my '123'. She seems well finished, apart from a bit of silver missing from a wheel tyre on one side (never mind - it had to go anyway!). There are several signs of her Tri-ang origins that need attention too and some frame extensions to fill the void above the front bogie. But all in all a nice addition to the stud at a bargain price*. I wonder if it is possible to transplant some driving wheels from one of my T9s - luckily the cranks are above centre on these, so can be hidden behind the splashers. I'd have to mix some blue paint, but Vallejo 'Prussian Blue will be a good start.

* Perhaps a small diorama with her visiting on an 'Enthusiast's Special' along with 'City of Truro' and/or a T9 and a Tri-ang C.R. coach. (It would save three motorisations!).

• Like 2

Earlier pictures of the GBL one dismantled makes it look easy to motorise.  Expect to pay more for old chassis perhaps?

**(Goes off to check if I still have a Dean Single chassis in the scrapbox...)

Edited by 298

Just having a look at my GBL Caley 123 and a very random thought struck me. A few people have questioned where one could get a main driving wheel set from, the bogie and trailing sets wouldn't be a great problem but looking at the drivers there quite a nice casting with crisp spoke and weight details and the flanges don't look to big. If the wheels were cut away from there metal frame would it be possible if they could be centered well enough to drill them out to except say an insulated bushed Hornby axle after all on the Triang/ Hornby one the pick ups are on the pony and rear wheels only. Fitting pin point bearings to the tender looks easy enough and a simple chassis for the loco should be quite do able. Any one else thought this?

• Like 4

The original 'Single' pickup was Tri-ang's piece of bent wire designed to hook round a a peg under the loco and stay in place by spring pressure alone. Replacements are available on eBay (for about what the whole locomotive cost originally).

GBL's wheels are quite fine on this model so there might be track holding problems. I assume they are made of mazak, which is not all that ideal for pickup (but quite good at collecting muck!), It would be best to buy the Hornby wheels IMHO.

It might be possible to make the bogie functional and fit wheels to the inside frame of the tender. Romford/Markits would be my choice here, but other makes are available.