Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Hi Bill,

The boiler of the 28xx/2884 2-8-0 was a Swindon No1 boiler and was the same as that fitted to the 'Star' and 'Saint' classes - also the 'Hall'/'Modified Hall' & 'Grange' - although small detail differences existed, particularly as regards superheater header covers, sundry pipes etc. This applies particularly to the later boilers used on the 'Modified Hall'.

However its worth keeping in mind that the GBL 28xx was copied from the old Hornby model, the boiler of which had its origins in the very old Triang Hornby 'Hall' (and later modified into a 'Saint' and that the boiler is very badly proportioned as to length plus the firebox is both wrongly shaped and incorrectly sized.

Although your proposal would produce a 'Star' or 'Saint' the result would unfortunately not be that good a model after a lot of work, which would be a real shame.

I'd hold on for a while. Who knows there might just become available a 'Hall' with a better proportioned boiler that would offer a much better route to a 'Star' or 'Saint' conversion using bits from the GBL 'Castle'.

Hope you don't mind me offering this information.

Regards

Hi TheWeatheringMan,

On the contrary, I am most certainly delighted that you are offering this information!  Saved a lot of effort. A higher quality Swindon No1 boiler, if such a thing should become available, would be just the job. I'm also thinking that a Saint conversion could use  the Hall running plate etc as well.   H'mm.

Otherwise the 28xx will look ok standing near the shed, as GBL usually do.

Is the GBL 28xx tender reasonable, do you think?

You may notice from my current avatar that I have name and number plates for Star 4054. This is due to my recently arrived granddaughter having been named after a Great Western express loco. In fact 2, as there was a Queen Charlotte as well. Oh and a GBRf 73.  Ok, I don't think that was my daughter and son in law's actual intention, but what a spot of luck!  Just got to have a Star, was put off the current Hornby one by negative reviews on RMweb, so either the old SEfinecast kit (how good is that?) or - GBL!

cheers.

• Like 1

The hole in the firebox door of 28xx is the perfect size for putting in one of those LED flickering tealight candle things, once cut down, brings to life a static model, I know a lot of you are more creative...

Good move. Think there may have been Hornby locos (probably this one!) with firebox lights?

Re

Hi Bill,

Thankyou for your comment.

GBL 3500 Gallon Tender = overall not too bad a model. The 'coal plate' at the rear of the coal space is too far back to the tender rear and incorrectly bisects to water pick up scoop dome.

This was due to the needed clearance for the tender drive unit of the old Hornby 28xx.

The underframe area is slightly distorted vertically - this being to the normal ex Triang standard to give a higher than scale bufferbeam for coupling clearance.

Both these aspects are not to noticeable and the 'coal plate' isn't that difficult to correct.

Overall a usefull model in its own right.

SouthEastern Finecast 'Star' and 'Saint' = both models have several compromises due to the fact that they were both originally designed to use the old Triang B12 chassis. However they both make up into a decent model.

The modern Hornby 'Star' is actually a very good model indeed - only being spoild by some sill detailing that is easily corrected.

The critisisms levelled at the model were way over the top and I'd pay no attention to them.

The way to a good 'Saint' will become clearer in the future.

Hope that of interest.

Regards

Yes it is of extreme  interest and hits the needed spot. All that info is very useful to inform these projects.

re the tender, I also wondered if it was of the type that ran with some Granges (to go with a Hornby one) but haven't done enough research into that yet.

The problem with the Hornby Star appeared to be with the chassis which didn't have proper round bearings. I suggest that there are many on this thread who can manufacture their own chassis which will run better and especially have a far longer working life. However, my P2 runs very well indeed so maybe... Which said, by the time I'd flaffed around not making my mind up, the only Stars I could find were the special edition Steam ones,  which meant I would have had to cut around a £150 loco to get the later type Star I wanted. Don't think so, rather cut up a £9 model from the front of a magazine.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

Good for you Shane if you did want to motorize it as a single or any one else want to motorize there's this could come in handy but be quick its only got 6 hours left

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271721912150?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edit. Shane have sent you a PM Regards Steve

Obviously a very good modeller as he has Bachrus saddles and a B2B gauge.... Edited by 298

Bill - I was going to make a Star from the 28xx, but I acquired an unpainted Hornby body to fit over the Castle GBL chassis - looks eminently doable, but I'm up to my elbows in T9s at the moment.

A modelling question. I have cut down a T9 tender to fit a Hornby 6-wheel tender chassis. A fiddly job, not too bad, but as expected I have had to fill the join where I have cut and shut the tank sides. The problem now is sanding them flat. Being idle (and having arthritic thumbs) I'm looking at power tools, to wit a couple of cheap Silverside Dremel-clones from Lidl which I bought years ago and have rarely used. I'm a bit wary of using them - which tool would the team use, and how? Or wouldn't they touch it with a stick?

Bill - I was going to make a Star from the 28xx, but I acquired an unpainted Hornby body to fit over the Castle GBL chassis - looks eminently doable, but I'm up to my elbows in T9s at the moment.

A modelling question. I have cut down a T9 tender to fit a Hornby 6-wheel tender chassis. A fiddly job, not too bad, but as expected I have had to fill the join where I have cut and shut the tank sides. The problem now is sanding them flat. Being idle (and having arthritic thumbs) I'm looking at power tools, to wit a couple of cheap Silverside Dremel-clones from Lidl which I bought years ago and have rarely used. I'm a bit wary of using them - which tool would the team use, and how? Or wouldn't they touch it with a stick?

Thanks Dick.  Sounds like this will be possible with a bit of crafty part selection.  Good idea with Hornby body, if I could find one. In fact the best thing about GBL is that they do provide bits that aren't otherwise easily obtainable.  The Star will be done! 

I'd started on the Castle, cut off the moulded hand rails and chimney and got a turned brass later chimney from Mainly Trains but that's as far as it's gone so using footplate for Star may be another step.

Like you the T9 is the current project but I've been sidetracked by the  Caley single.  T9 is complicated by deciding what version to do, want an original condition one in Drummond livery but some had watertube boilers, some with 6 wheel tenders. I  want to do Drummond livery, no water tubes and 8 wheel tender but more research needed to find right one (my books aren't detailed enough about that era). Urie era easier I think.

I usually rub down joins etc with wet and dry paper finishing with 2000 grade but would be interested in some sort of mini power sander -  sanding discs/wheels  on dremel type drills don't really seem to work for me, so also interested in what can be done.

• Like 1

Lucky lucky. I only managed to get three T9s, all of which will remain T9s (although one will lose its superheater). So other members of the Drummond family will have to wait.

My biggest frustration so far has been with the Directors. I bought two of them, leaving another two behind. One LNER, one BR, sorted. It was only afterwards that I thought of a use for two more. Too late! 

Lucky lucky. I only managed to get three T9s, all of which will remain T9s (although one will lose its superheater). So other members of the Drummond family will have to wait.

My biggest frustration so far has been with the Directors. I bought two of them, leaving another two behind. One LNER, one BR, sorted. It was only afterwards that I thought of a use for two more. Too late! 

Only got 1 Director, it's in a perspex display case on a shelf - and does look good imho. I found several in Smiths in Buxton while on holiday but was out walking and had no way of carrying any of them and didn't go back, blast it!  But I've got enough to be getting on with. 

Having seen Londontram's Single to jumbo conversion, I have thought T9 to 700....  but  enough excitement for one day.

Hi,

I've tried this in the past but the problem with power sanding on a plastic model is the heat generation that can soften the plastic and make it 'stick' to the sander with disastrous results.

For me its 'wet and dry' as Bill says everytime.

Regards

I've had similar  problems with those conical grinding tips, or the grinding wheels, on plastic before.  What worked on white metal etc.  But the thing about plastic is that it does cut cleanly (well can do) so I have got some craft knife blades with the cutting edge across the top, like a little chisel, and that sometimes can pare away unwanted plastic, then sand it. Sort of chiseling imperfections off.

Problem I'm having at the moment is cutting holes in the "chassis" of the GBL deltic, which appears to be of rather soapy plastic so getting a straight cut is taking time.  Hopefully I will be able to glue plasticard strips to it as the next step.

The one I'm working on at the moment has water tubes, sandboxes and a 6-wheel tender. The chimney will come from Alan Gibson when I get round to ordering a couple. I've just been looking at Peter's Spares for another six-wheeler. If I had a spare 8-wheel tender I could make a SR weedkilling tank! I'm looking at LSWR as produced, LSWR backdated, Southern and BR. Which leaves one spare.

I quite like the idea of a C8, or similar. The C Class will be much easier, just a repaint or two (3 versions, SECR, Southern and BR).

I've also got hold of an M7 body, and I'm thinking of an Alan Gibson chassis for it. Knowing my luck GBL will produce one in about eight weeks.

• Like 1

I've also got hold of an M7 body, and I'm thinking of an Alan Gibson chassis for it. Knowing my luck GBL will produce one in about eight weeks.

An M7 would be nice (another I overlooked before), but I suspect it would have Tri-ang-Hornby origins rather than Hornby. I could (hopefully) be wrong of course.

I have what was a triang M7 body which is being converted to a north British Helensburgh tank. Not got a clue how I will fit a chassis to it as the m7 chassis would need to be turned round and the cab and bunker are now 6mm narrower than before. Spashers have been removed, New boiler fitted bunker shortened, bunker and cab narrowed, New chimney, dome, clack valves, and Westinghouse pump fitted. Still have the strange cab doors to do and the box on the back of the bunker. I will need to get transfers made.

There were only 3 of these locos built. If an M7 does appear this is a potential conversion for some of you.

post-5114-0-83029600-1420591384_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-72074400-1420591406_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The Tri-ang M7 chassis is an 0-4-0 chassis with a screwed on extension over the bogie, so turning it around would not be a great problem. It is also not very wide. It will fill the cab with lots of motor however.

Edited by Il Grifone

There also the Caledonian 439 class 0-4-4 which is a fairly straight forward conversion from an M7, I tell you what old Dugald Drummond has a lot to answer for.

Here is my on going 439 project

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77470-rtr-to-caledonian-locos/?p=1675008

Edit sorry wrong link

Edited by Londontram

Final (!) question about the Caley single. Been looking for Hornby spare wheels. The later (China made) release looks as if they have traction tyres and therefore a groove on the tread, the original Margate version doesn't. Are there any other differences between the two versions, like flange depths?  Which would be best for a working model. old type or new? Thanks.

The one I'm working on at the moment has water tubes, sandboxes and a 6-wheel tender. The chimney will come from Alan Gibson when I get round to ordering a couple. I've just been looking at Peter's Spares for another six-wheeler. If I had a spare 8-wheel tender I could make a SR weedkilling tank! I'm looking at LSWR as produced, LSWR backdated, Southern and BR. Which leaves one spare.

I quite like the idea of a C8, or similar. The C Class will be much easier, just a repaint or two (3 versions, SECR, Southern and BR).

Thanks, I'm starting on the original condition T9 as well, shortened smokebox and cut off moulded handrails, made smokebox wingplate but not done splasher sandboxes yet. Got a Drummond chimney somewhere, just got to find it. Got driving wheels on order.

C8 is a good idea, it appears the boiler dia is the same as T9 but shorter like M7 and K10 (another possibility) so easy to shorten firebox end.

Plenty of possibilities without even going to Scotland!

Final (!) question about the Caley single. Been looking for Hornby spare wheels. The later (China made) release looks as if they have traction tyres and therefore a groove on the tread, the original Margate version doesn't. Are there any other differences between the two versions, like flange depths?  Which would be best for a working model. old type or new? Thanks.

Mine is a late china made one and yes does have traction tyres, I'm afraid I've no experience of the early chassis, mine also has pickups on the front bogie most likely to compensate for the main wheel having traction tyres.

It runs OK but has a curious rock when slowing down or stopping as the whole loco tilts forward causing the rear wheel to lift slightly, if you could put some weight in the cab area that might help or a major redesign of the bogie at the front. Sorry cant be more helpful. Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

Mine is a late china made one and yes does have traction tyres, I'm afraid I've know experience of the early chassis, mine also has pickups on the front bogie most likely to compensate for the main wheel having traction tyres.

It runs OK but has a curious rock when slowing down or stopping as the whole loco tilts forward causing the rear wheel to lift slightly, if you could put some weight in the cab area that might help or a major redesign of the bogie at the front. Sorry cant be more helpful. Steve

Thanks Steve. Found later wheel sets available as spares but also the original driving wheels (Peters spares) - using Hornby ones seems right way to go as I can't find  any other driving wheels the right dimensions including some o gauge bogie wheels.  Prob either type would work just to get loco running.

Bill

Just had a thought. Having had a count up I've got six T9s, so perhaps a C8 and an X2 conversion might be in order? These will be static, so the outside motion shouldn't be too hard. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Just had a thought. Having had a count up I've got six T9s, so perhaps a C8 and an X2 conversion might be in order? These will be static, so the outside motion shouldn't be too hard. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

An X2 now that would be a beauty I'd like to see that Dick

C8 definitely, same wheel size (6' 9") as T9, 4' 5" dia boiler but shorter. firebox, however think the coupled wheelbase was shorter because T9 one was lengthened to 10'. But looks like they had 8 wheeled tenders.  Not sure about Adams X2 but presumably similar size but different boiler etc?

Have thought about the Drummond E10 double single. Plenty of scope!

Went into WHS in Wimborne this morning. No sign of the Peak but still x2 of the Caley's. Hadn't planned to buy one but it looked quite nice so just the one Caley left there now.

Asked if the next edition had come in and the shop assistant remembered nearly tripping over something that looked like a "Deltic" in the stock room. Apparently she used to go trainspotting at Canton.....

Came away with two Peaks as well.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

Public note of thanks to JohnMartin90125 for the 2 GBL locos which arrived today.  The BoB will become 222 Squadron which I've got the nameplates for, which  I once spotted and which kept a high sided tender to the  end (so that's one less mod to do!). Got a Hornby old type chassis which could be used, just have to cut away some of the inside strengthening from the body.

The 28xx may go through a more radical transformation, possibly involving a merging with parts of a Castle, or another 4-6-0 since the boiler looks the same as star and saint  - more investigation to be done.

Thanks, John

Cheers, Bill

Don't know about the old Hornby chassis but the new one needs a bit more work on the GBL body and chassis to fit. The body seems narrower than the Hornby.

See here: http://amodelrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/gbl-bob-part-4.html