Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The Tri-ang 'singles' have wheels with enormous flanges appropriate to the then current Series 3 track. Helped my 'Magnadhesion', the driving and trailing wheels stayed 'glued' to the track and balance is not a problem. The later Hornby wheels have a much finer profile. On Nickel-silver (or brass) track the models balance becomes a problem. Traction tyres (which need pickups on the bogie) do not help. Eventually mine will have the tender adding weight to to the rear of the locomotive (as in TheWeatheringMan's earlier post). I have considered adding a tender drive on the last axle or resorting to traction tyres as haulage power is severely limited and there is little space to add weight.

Tilbury Asda had two 'Peaks' this morning (and two when I left*) The base says Class 46 and the loco is 45 022. The one I looked at had a slightly skew nameplate and the 'noses' look too low to me. Bright silver wheels give away her Mainline origins.

* I already have a Mainline one (I didn't really need her (above all in blue), but SWMBO was keen and the price was very reasonable...).

Edited by Il Grifone

Peak looks nice yellow ends could do with a respray silver wheels need blackened. Buffer beam could do with detailing.

The nameplate is printed on not raised like the old mainline peak which will make renumbering a lot easier

Edited by darrel

Train spotting back in the 1970s around Toton I had a bit of a soft spot for the class 44 the nose door seeming to make them somehow look older than the other diesels around at the time.

Is any one thinking of converting one with nose doors - can it be done or are the body sides ie grills etc all wrong?

I now have 4 GBL peaks but not yet had chance to do a proper assessment but it's actually a class 46 which give more flexibility with regard to detailing and renumbering. I have plans for a radical makeover as I potentially will have 6 in total. I will post up some pics tonight of the loco as it comes.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

Had to go to tyre depot in Trowbridge ths morning, so popped into WHSmith to see if the Peak had arrived. Not  in the partworks stand, so I asked the assistant if they had already sold out.  Overheard by  a manager, who said she thought there was " a box out the back " and disappeared into a storeroom.  Returned with one peak, and then I told her I wanted two, oops.  Anyway, she did get another, so if the box was a full distribution box (of 10?) there may 8 left!

I've been messing around with possible conversions of the T9. Some are a bit harder than others, involving fabricating outside cylinders and motion, or modifying the cab sides.

attachicon.gifT9 Variants.jpg

And that's before you consider the many Scottish locos that are possible from all the companies ie. Highland, Caledonian, Great North of Scotland and Glasgow and south western though some would be better built from the wide cab T9 so fall outside the scope of this thread but still the potential is there.

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

OK not a Drummond design but an easy build from a wide cab T9 and has the added appeal of being used by both the Great North of Scotland railway and the South Eastern and Chatham and thus the Southern railway is the class V (SECR G class) designed by Pickergill for the GNSR who were unable to pay for the last 5 of the order, they were offered to the SECR who snapped them up with only minor changes ie fitting with Vacuum brakes etc

post-17847-0-10910700-1420652935.jpg

• Like 1

The Tri-ang 'singles' have wheels with enormous flanges appropriate to the then current Series 3 track. Helped my 'Magnadhesion', the driving and trailing wheels stayed 'glued' to the track and balance is not a problem. The later Hornby wheels have a much finer profile. On Nickel-silver (or brass) track the models balance becomes a problem. Traction tyres (which need pickups on the bogie) do not help. Eventually mine will have the tender adding weight to to the rear of the locomotive (as in TheWeatheringMan's earlier post). I have considered adding a tender drive on the last axle or resorting to traction tyres as haulage power is severely limited and there is little space to add weight.

Tilbury Asda had two 'Peaks' this morning (and two when I left*) The base says Class 46 and the loco is 45 022. The one I looked at had a slightly skew nameplate and the 'noses' look too low to me. Bright silver wheels give away her Mainline origins.

* I already have a Mainline one (I didn't really need her (above all in blue), but SWMBO was keen and the price was very reasonable...).

Sounds like the later wheels will be best on nickel silver track, also finer flanges so I'll go for them. Did think about tender drive but tender rather low - I'll have a look later if spare Airfix drive would fit but motor drive onto driving wheels like the Hornby chassis arrangement should be ok.

Thanks for info.

Interesting to note some of the text from the Peaks magazine to quote

'Never one of the real 'cult' locos like the Deltics, Westerns or 50's'

Deltic-done

Western-forthcoming

50-possible??

Hmmmm

Shane

• Like 2

OK not a Drummond design but an easy build from a wide cab T9 and has the added appeal of being used by both the Great North of Scotland railway and the South Eastern and Chatham and thus the Southern railway is the class V (SECR G class) designed by Pickergill for the GNSR who were unable to pay for the last 5 of the order, they were offered to the SECR who snapped them up with only minor changes ie fitting with Vacuum brakes etc

attachicon.gifClass V.jpg

A couple of photos, including a nice side view, and a pretty much useless drawing in Russell. Lovely swoopy splashers, but shame about the shed windows...

Nice video John, I like your coaching stock as much as the locos...some modifications to rtr there if not mistaken.

In respect of GBL latest, given my modelling preferences, have been looking forward to this release my favourite deisel. It is in my humble opinion a very good copy of the mainline mid 70s model. Whilst time clouds memories and opinions this together with their Royal Scot, and std 4 made me want to continue my railway enthusiasm in the form of models rather than my friends who still follow the real thing either by tours and photography. I have bought this model not least to encourage Amercom to continue the series. It's shortcomings around the buffer beam, nose and most of all windows are now obvious....in the 70s I viewed this model with awe never thinking a model would be produced of this class. I had intended to buy tthis wishing to fit the distinctive grilles for no d9 and 10. A Xmas present of a latest 46 now means I don't necessarily have too...

I have any number of other projects , some of which I hope to share on this or other threads.......I would really like to address the shortcomings of this model before motorising....can shawplan class 37 or 40. windows improve.....already have craftsman buffer beams....just some thoughts....please if anyone else has some ideas how to make this sows ear into a silk purse

My thoughts on the Peak. Considering its origins its a pretty good copy but there are a few issues.  

First a general view

16037556310_a4dafd03ae_c.jpg
S1950002 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Next a close up of the front end showing the poor application of the yellow

16199023596_3729c314b6_c.jpg
S1950003 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

First issue is the nose grille, which is smaller than the source model and stands slighty proud, which can be seen in this view of the opposite end. Notice that the running numbers have also been applied at the wrong end on this side.

16037396118_69908867b9_c.jpg
S1950015 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Side by side comparison with an original Mainline model

16199011246_b050e5244b_c.jpg
S1950016 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Nose to nose showing the difference in the grilles. The GBL model is accurate in not having the dividing bar but is overall slightly smaller

16224091512_80f873bbff_c.jpg
S1950018 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

The class 46 style underframe details and 46 style triangular grille, fitted to all locos prior to refurbishment in the mid 60's and some 45s thereafter.

15602508204_179fcbe9e3_c.jpg
S1950012 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Biggest issue for me is the way the beading around the large grille on one side only fades out. Disappointing but not a show stopper.

16223042721_0fb31a8a36_c.jpg
S1950006 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Another view, also showing the unplated boiler room grille, which varies between locos

15605056573_f5817097af_c.jpg
S1950013 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Boiler room end of the roof, overall pretty good

15602510584_0116b71b3f_c.jpg
S1950009 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Radiator end, again pretty good. This also shows the good rendering of the bodyside grilles. Not as deeply recessed as the Mainline model, almost on a par with the new Bachmann version

16223039541_470e1d8f04_c.jpg
S1950010 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Bogies are usable if a little soft on the detailing.

16037550310_c2d2d4a192_c.jpg
S1950007 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Front end, which in this angle looks very dubious but may be down to the angle of the camera. Not keen on the tail lights but the marker lights are quite good.

15605060163_a98270682d_c.jpg
S1950008 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Overall not too bad a model but with what I have planned should make a very good comparison with the Bachmann version. Watch this space!

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 7

Hi Shane,

Dont read too much into whats written in the magazine but you might be pleasantly surprised by what could pop out of the woodwork at some stage.

Might be wise to keep in mind whats been copied for the 'Peak' though.

Regards.

If a 50 does appear it makes no odd to me if its Lima or Hornby, I can use both but my money would be on a Lima 50 being used as it is a one piece bodyshell and easier to produce. if they decide to do one that is! If not a Lima based 47 will do just as well;-)

cheers

Shane

One of my A4's now has a rolling chassis, its actually an A3 but fits a treat, although not fixed yet in this pic, as can be seen by the difference between cab and tender heights. No other mods as yet but it may become an unvalenced 4498 in garter blue, as preserved on the early 80's

16037536640_31e4f54d1c_c.jpg
S1950022 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

And as a gratuitous aside, should a Duchess appear from GBL and the Dublo model is used, (which I think is unlikely, I would expect it to be the Hornby late 70's version), this is what can be achieved. The bodyshell must be getting on for nearly 60 years old now as it was my dads but heavily rebuilt 15 years ago!

15605047423_1a5d508492_c.jpg
S1950021 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

• Like 4

Thanks for the photos of the 45 Shane - most useful. I was amazed to see that bodyside "rain-strip" had been correctly altered sometime during its life-cycle. Not got my model yet but am hoping to to convert it to 45 052 "Satan" (which it only carried for a matter of days!). I did read a review in Model Rail many years ago of a company that produced the Tinsley-style name-plate transfers, both for 37s and 45s, can anyone possibly enlighten me please? Many thanks in anticipation guys. I will of course have to check the nose-ends of '052 first. Regards malcolm

I used him once on a make an offer  basis and got a t9 for 15 .This suited me as when time ,petrol ,parking and finding out its not in Smiths or any any other  shop is taken in it gets nearer to  break evens and I actually have one in my hand .it may be daft economy but I never go into any major town or city even though I am about 6 miles away .So care with the profiteering  accusation s .i bet you dont sell your house for what you paid for it .